Phoenix3

Does music deplete qi/jing?

On 4/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, DaoKeeper said:

I personally like to hear the music of the far gone Past. It could me Medieval rythm music or ancient Chinese flute or Christian Church Chorus.

As an example, please let me share this magnificent piece of the Art with you, which I personnaly very like ^^

Oh, Dear, this is Allegri's Miserere! Interesting enough, I have been listening to this piece of Art quite often lately. Listening to it is definitely cleanses a heart, for sure.

Edited by Kara_mia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kara_mia said:

definitely cleanses a heart, for sure.

Could you please  describe what exactly is happening during listening to this.
I mean can you feel your heart is cleaning?

Thank you.

Hello!
The time has passed,
Practice went well
I feel cleanness and fresh

Spoiler

And I don't need to listen to this Miserere song any more :P

Spoiler

Daoism rules! B)

High level and quality music - depending on the genre and artist - has the potential to heal, energize, calm, supercharge your meditation practice, even induce meditation/altered states of consciousness on its own, and so on.

Music is magic.

Edited by Ekstasis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ekstasis said:

has the potential to heal, energize, calm, supercharge your meditation

Agreed with the first part - but the highlighted part I don’t agree with.

It depends on how you define meditation - nowadays its a catch-all term. But originally meditation was the practice of entering complete stillness.

Music on the other hand is an expression of movement. Sometimes quite deep and profound movement - but not stillness - not meditation.

And this relates back to the original post. The Dao De Jing, I believe, is a meditation manual... so not delighting in sensory pleasure (music, food etc) is used as a method to enter the profound states of inner stillness during retreat for example.

So this doesn’t mean you have to avoid tasty food and music in daily life :) 

• Like 1

Hey freeform,

Deep and flowing ambient music for example can deepen the meditation experience. But I agree, it depends on how you define meditation.

3 hours ago, Ekstasis said:

High level and quality music - depending on the genre and artist - has the potential to heal, energize, calm, supercharge your meditation practice, even induce meditation/altered states of consciousness on its own, and so on.

Music is magic.

I totally agree. Music has been a great spiritual healer for me over the years. My tastes are quite eclectic and I'm constantly discovering new music which in the past has passed me by.

My two loves in the world are spiritual cultivation and listening to quality music.

• Like 2

I can’t listen to music when meditating, it throws my stillness off completely.

Back in 05 i started sitting daily for a few years and in the beginning i was usin music to support me, but after a hiatus i began sitting with silence and no supports at all and found it had much greater benefit for me. For me music pulls me back out in the world around and my sitting has since i stopped with the music to focus only inward and maintain stillness, like Freeform said music belongs to movement, i wish to move or rest with it.

I love music, i make music, i feel unwell if i go without music for a long time but for sitting it definetly ruins stuff and depletes/deviates energy. Plus i’m really picky with what sort of sound and spectrum i enjoy most, just listening with a thin low end or misaligned equalization starts my gears grinding.

I remember once i was at hour long meditation with this pretty faar-out teacher and he insisted on playing some really annoying, treble-loud mixed hindu chanting backing tracks that set my mind ablaze. I could not reach myself. To top it off he’d monitor us for slacking off so as soon as someones head started dipping or back slouching he’d ring these two cymbal-chimes that had a VERY penetrating and carrying frequency.

It was one of the worst sessions i’ve had sitting, i couldn’t stop hoping for it to be over, the boombox to crap out, the teacher having a meltdown, ANYTHING really to get me out of that place. Seeing as i was young and had less self esteem i felt i should stay and endure it so nobody would think i wasn’t up for these advanced lessons... ha! Ridiculus, today i would have left within ten minutes. Even worse when i was asked how i meditate usually i said two half hour sessions daily and everybody laughed and called me an ”expert”, then they all sat through this horror with blissful faces and claimed they were refreshed and destressed after. I was edgy and depleted for days after :D

Apparently this group operated on far more advanced levels than i ever will, i enjoy meditating on the streets with heavy traffic while waiting for a bus, but that tinny hindu record he had was just torture. It would not be shut out.

• Like 1

On 2017-12-02 at 6:45 PM, joeblast said:

some listening is fine

but if you're involved in the music itself, dont expect to be a performer if you're very keen on this path.  4am nights are not conducive to cultivation ;)

Hmm, that sort of depends how those 4am nights pan out. If you’re walking out of sessions or performances drunk and tired then i agree, but if you feel refreshed and haven’t overindulged in libations or food then i think it could be good cultivation support.

Some of my best times producing have been all nighters with good results and i felt energized waking up after little sleep. When i used to do gigs it was strongly dependent on the venue, crowd and collaborators. I learned pretty fast not to stay after hours for ”winding down” though, that stuff was killing my liver 😁

I think frequency, mindset and individual setup plays a pretty big role in how it affects guarding, refining and overall being smart about energy.

Btw, sorry for the two-year throwback quote, i thought it could be relevant.

• Like 2