Sign in to follow this  
Wake2Sleep

Feeling urge to buckle down

Hi all,

I’m a 52 year old male, and have been studying one martial art or another since I was stationed in Korea - Tang Soo Do, Kempo, and now I’ve been doing yoga and tai chi for the past 15 years or so. I’m lucky to have a great yoga community, and a taichi master close by. 

I’ve considered myself to be a Taoist for the past 20 (?) years. Initially i was heavy into reading about the philosophy for the first few years, but eventually I put the books aside and just tried to live by the Way as best I could. I’ve been incredibly blessed - I’m not exactly sure how I got so lucky (though there have definitely been some tough times too). 

I’m also not exactly sure why yet but 2017 has been a big year of change for me - Things that once were hard all of a sudden are easy - like I tried for years to give up alcohol, and then this year done, like flipping a switch I was able to cut it out of my life (cravings still there, but willpower x10). 

For now I’m chalking it up to a new found sense of mortality that we humans often feel with age. Studying for the final exam or something. 

That’s also why I’m here - I’ve been feeling the urge to bone up on the spiritual and energetic aspects of yoga, taichi, chigung- and I have questions. I’ve already found some great threads - seems like a great community. 

Thanks for reading,

Wake2Sleep

• Like 6

Hello, Wake2Sleep and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Wake,

Pretty heavy background.  Sounds like you have found a place to devote some of your time.  Congrats on dropping the alcohol!

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wake2Sleep said:

I’m also not exactly sure why yet but 2017 has been a big year of change for me - Things that once were hard all of a sudden are easy - like I tried for years to give up alcohol, and then this year done, like flipping a switch I was able to cut it out of my life (cravings still there, but willpower x10). 

Hi Wake2Sleep,

Why 'willpower x 10' only? Shouldn't it be 'willpower x 1000...'?

7 hours ago, Wake2Sleep said:

For now I’m chalking it up to a new found sense of mortality that we humans often feel with age. Studying for the final exam or something.

Lifelong learning? Study hard. A great story. March on.

Welcome.

- LimA

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Why 'willpower x 10' only? Shouldn't it be 'willpower x 1000...'?

I tried many times over the years - could do it for days, even weeks at a time. Reading Nancy Graces The Naked Mind helped (she has it available for free - google it). But again not sure if it was just this feeling of running out of time 😂. The StopDrinking Subreddit also hugely valuable resource for me. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 10:14 PM, Wake2Sleep said:

Hi all,

I’m a 52 year old male, and have been studying one martial art or another since I was stationed in Korea - Tang Soo Do, Kempo, and now I’ve been doing yoga and tai chi for the past 15 years or so. I’m lucky to have a great yoga community, and a taichi master close by. 

I’ve considered myself to be a Taoist for the past 20 (?) years. Initially i was heavy into reading about the philosophy for the first few years, but eventually I put the books aside and just tried to live by the Way as best I could. I’ve been incredibly blessed - I’m not exactly sure how I got so lucky (though there have definitely been some tough times too). 

That’s also why I’m here - I’ve been feeling the urge to bone up on the spiritual and energetic aspects of yoga, taichi, chigung- and I have questions. I’ve already found some great threads - seems like a great community. 

Thanks for reading,

Wake2Sleep

Your heart is now open. Such a shift of perspective is always profound. :)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this