TheCLounge

The simple, yet superb power of Acknowledgement

Never understood what universal consciousness was.

I basically believe everything is one, comes from one, and cannot exist without each other.

Acknowledging someone as they are is acknowledging "the one" that is in everything else. We all have unique qualities that make us different in capabilities etc..But when you acknowledge someone as they are you're not seeing their appearance, but the same spirit that connects them to you and everything else. Through that the ego or flesh can't get in the way..You don't see the individual, you see the God(I Am) that makes them connected to you and the "all"..

Thats why I said awareness makes everything known, while acknowledgment makes everything whole. You see it as apart of something wHoly

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, TheCLounge said:

I basically believe everything is one, comes from one, and cannot exist without each other.

Acknowledging someone as they are is acknowledging "the one" that is in everything else. We all have unique qualities that make us different in capabilities etc..But when you acknowledge someone as they are you're not seeing their appearance, but the same spirit that connects them to you and everything else. Through that the ego or flesh can't get in the way..You don't see the individual, you see the God(I Am) that makes them connected to you and the "all"..

Thats why I said awareness makes everything known, while acknowledgment makes everything whole. You see it as apart of something wHoly

So do you exist independently?  Or are you more of a fragment of God, that gets caught up in ego stuff and think you are an individual being?

• Like 4

Nothing exists independently. We have free will. But all of it comes from the same source

Jesus spoke on this in this book of John.

The vine and the branch

Everything is 100 percent from God and is God. No fragments..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheCLounge said:

Interesting, I was just involved in a lengthy discussion about non-dual and 'the one'.  So, are you stating, the 'I am' that you state in your initial post is essentially the same as 'the one' that is in everything else?  If so, I think that would be consistent with the views of Advaita.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, s1va said:

Interesting, I was just involved in a lengthy discussion about non-dual and 'the one'.  So, are you stating, the 'I am' that you state in your initial post is essentially the same as 'the one' that is in everything else?  If so, I think that would be consistent with the views of Advaita.

Saying " I AM.." in itself awakens something singular and at the same time absolute. You don't need religion to see this. The phrase/name in itself reveals it. And the Hebrew Scriptures have verses that speak on the importance of his name and how the universe "declares" his name. Such as the book of Psalms

Your name defines your nature and character.

So when God told Moses his name "I AM", it right then and there signified him/her as everything that is Absolute...Eternal...Pure....True...Whole

Jesus in the book of Matthew said "God is One. Thou shalt love him with all of your being".

Earlier I spoke that love is acknowledging the true essence of something as it is. To love is to see God.

But even if you aren't loving or showing love, that love is still loving and is still alive in you. It just isn't being awakened at that moment.

Edited by TheCLounge

15 minutes ago, TheCLounge said:

Saying " I AM.." in itself awakens something singular and at the same time absolute. You don't need religion to see this. The phrase/name in itself reveals it. And the Hebrew Scriptures have verses that speak on the importance of his name and how the universe "declares" his name. Such as the book of Psalms

So when God told Moses his name "I AM", it right then and there signified him/her as everything that is Absolute...Eternal...Pure....True...Whole

Jesus in the book of Matthew said "God is One. Thou shalt love him with all of your being".

Earlier I spoke that love is acknowledging the true essence of something as it is. To love is to see God.

But even if you aren't loving or showing love, that love is still loving and is still alive in you. It just isn't being awakened at that moment.

I just wanted to check if your views on the "I am" that you state is the same as One.  I think you have answered that above.  Agree, religion is not a (must) requirement for such realizations.  Also, advaita is not a religion, it just a state of realization.  I just noticed similarities in your post and advaita. 

23 minutes ago, TheCLounge said:

Could you point out the verse in Matthew where it says that?

23 minutes ago, TheCLounge said:

1 hour ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

He might be confused about it being Matthew. Matthew has the same circumstance. But Mark is where it says what he mentions:

28One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.e30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’f 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’g There is no commandment greater than these.”

What version are you using?  I think the point is that there is one and only one Lord God, not that the Lord is one.  Here is another (King James) translation...

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

1 hour ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

This is Matthew's version:

34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’c 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’d 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

1 minute ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

But that is a very well established wording in the Jewish tradition. It is the wording of the Shema Israel:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/705353/jewish/The-Shema.htm

I have no doubt that what you are describing fits with the older Jewish tradition.  But remember, Jesus brought the "truth" or new wine that did not fit in the old wineskin. :) 

20 minutes ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

Ehhh.. Maybe. I still tend to think that Jesus is unique and carries a special relation to the Abrahamic covenants. 

I would agree with the unique part.  But, as Jesus clearly says, he is before/beyond Abraham.  New covenant.

• Like 1

Just now, Apeiron&Peiron said:

I tend to go with the Scholastic run-down of things. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit: three distinct persons but of one being. There would be a hypostatic unity that binds them outside of space and time.

There is a description that I have heard from one Guru that an individual soul is like a mirror and God is like the sun. As a person cleans their mirror, they can partake in more of God's qualities. But, in any case, people remain unique. So, for me, Jesus (like anyone) will have a mirror that can embody and reflect God's qualities. But I think that a fundamental essence that shaped his destiny and life indicate an even more fundamental connection.

I tend to hold to the established theology....

Is there anywhere in the gospels or teachings of Jesus where it talks about the three in one or holy trinity concept?

Don't confuse Hebrew scripture with Roman Catholic traditions and ideas such as the trinity and "Christmas"..(Not saying you can't celebrate if you don't want to). These things have plagued and manipulated the meaning of the scriptures for centuries.

You have to read these scriptures with open, and detached spiritual eyes.

Religion and fear has kept people from understanding that. Soon as they read "judgement" they cringe..

23 minutes ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

In his words, I don't think so. I'm not a sola scriptura person, though. So that doesn't matter to me.

And I don't think that it would make much sense to find in the sayings of Jesus. He tended to speak on practical things. Trinity, though interesting, doesn't have any practical applications outside of doxology. And, since his disciples were Jewish at that time (and not in need of liturgy), it wouldn't really make sense for him to discuss it.

But, in any case, the concept/precedent can be found in Corinthians. Some details in Luke about the action of the Holy Spirit carry the implication of a tight connection.

To me, there seems to be a lot of problems with the Holy Trinity concept when it was added around 300 ad. The many teachings of Jesus seem to say different than all three being equal in some way.  Specifically, Jesus even says...

John 14:27-28

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

3 hours ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

Was that directed at me?

That is also not a problem. If they are three consubstantial persons, they all experience one-ness with one-another. They are three persons expressing the same fundamental essence in a different way. If we speak of persons, we can say that the Father is greater than Jesus. If we speak of their essence or being, we can say that Jesus and the Father are one.

The doctrine of the hypostatic unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit was a doctrine that was consolidated after thorough scriptural analysis. It was the predecessor to the Scholastic method. They literally went line-by-line through the canonical books and then made an abstract category to match the syntax of the terms that were used. There is no conflict with scripture, though there is a decided lack of direct phrasing.

Edit: And, the phrasing around that excerpt makes a stronger case for the trinity because it goes between the roles of the persons and the unity of essence:

And I give them life everlasting; and they shall not perish for ever, and no man shall pluck them out of my hand.29That which my Father hath given me, is greater than all: and no one can snatch them out of the hand of my Father. 30I and the Father are one.

I quoted it as partial support for the idea of the trinity, as it counters the verse quoted earlier "For my father is greater than I". I didn't add anything more because It's not an area I know a lot about. 

• Like 1