morning dew

Body/energy work in Western/European esoteric traditions?

1 hour ago, SHINTO said:

There was no need to make up that  inaccurate prop .... as the real one still exists ! 

Image result for Reich cloud buster

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Yes there are some things that exist which are similar to qigong, and there is also internal development that is Western. I can't say anything else about it, but it exists, and it isn't rehashed Eastern stuff (although everything Western really did come from an area somewhat East).

Can you remember any of the names of these Western systems?

1 hour ago, bax44 said:

Thats great. I'm just saying someone *could* read and decide Reich is insane and dismiss the work entirely. Someone who overthinks or analyzes everything could come to this conclusion. But I understand it can go both ways and actually be motivating.

No problems for me .... I keep the baby and throw out the bathwater .   ' Seek the gold ' .

1 hour ago, SHINTO said:

Reich was experiment with a natural energy he called Orgone.
He find out that  organic material
And unorganic material put in layers amplified the Orgone energy.
What went wrong was his experiment of the reaction of
Amplified orgone energy with
Radioactive substance.
There was a far reaching effect on the environment of black clouds
And storm in the desert where the experiment took place.
I think in that point the FBI 
Was after him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgone

https://books.google.co.il/books?id=sXLANdC4d2QC&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=reich+black+clouds+desert&source=bl&ots=E9nA0ZQ9xP&sig=yo79g0Db8w8R5TdOWlIvj2dUg_c&hl=iw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN0q70j87XAhVJ6xoKHUfACzQQ6AEIbjAQ#v=onepage&q=reich black clouds desert&f=false

Image result for history chanel guy

Translation  ;     " Bathwater "

1 hour ago, bax44 said:

Thats great. I'm just saying someone *could* read and decide Reich is insane and dismiss the work entirely. Someone who overthinks or analyzes everything could come to this conclusion. But I understand it can go both ways and actually be motivating.

Now I think I get your protest ... yes    'some' could   do that   ,  some even get more excited about the woo-woo stuff     than his valid psychoanalytical  discoveries .   :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Yes there are some things that exist which are similar to qigong, and there is also internal development that is Western. I can't say anything else about it, but it exists, and it isn't rehashed Eastern stuff (although everything Western really did come from an area somewhat East).

Ummmmmm .......    that depends where you from    .... 

Image result for Australia in the pacific

Well  okay   .... ice cream,  lamb  and construction workers    

Image result for Maori construction worker

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

Ummmmmm .......    that depends where you from    .... 

Image result for Australia in the pacific

Well  okay   .... ice cream,  lamb  and construction workers    

Image result for Maori construction worker

Is that Maoris?

58 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Now I think I get your protest ... yes    'some' could   do that   ,  some even get more excited about the woo-woo stuff     than his valid psychoanalytical  discoveries .   :rolleyes:

I dont get your posts really but no big deal. I was coming at it from a different perspective I suppose, since I have some experience with this type of practice. I just think all the theories etc are fun to read about but pretty much irrelevant when it comes to actually experiencing what the practice can do .

I only just came across this thread and I don't have much time today, but here is a diagram of the Seventeenth Century by Johann Georg Gichtel:

220px-Theosophia_Practica_-_Gichtel.jpg

That is fairly well known.

There is undoubtedly energy work done in the Western tradition, however most of it seems not to have been written down, but was inherent in the worldview of the time in which there was a strong Microcosm/Macrocosm connection which was fundamental to the Western worldview from the Hellenistic period on, modern materialism, which has generally supplanted this view, being just that modern, and largely a product of the late Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries.  The esoteric revival of the late Nineteenth Century produced a lot of literature developing largely out of the work of Mesmer and his theories of Animal Magnetism.

I'll try to post more on this.

ZYD

• Like 1

Hello All,

There is most definitely energy work in the Western systems. These are usually taught within the various secret societies, and fringe Masonic groups. This energy work can also be found in the Gnostic, Hassidic, & Sufi communities, and in certain Christian sects such as the practice of the Jesus Prayer. Energy work in the West mainly consists of meditation upon the heart center, and merging it with the mind center, and in focusing upon deity such as Christ and merging with this Energy. It is a form of circulation, although it is viewed differently than in the Eastern systems. The "grace" of Apostolic Succession and the laying on of hands to cure illness, is definitely a form of energy work, although it is viewed more in the context of divine energy coming from an outside Godhead; working through but not from the individual (however, the Hermetic Axiom "As Above, So Below" indicates that this is indeed the same thing!). Having belonged to numerous Western Esoteric Orders, I can say that the Traditional Chinese or Daoist energy work is much more nuanced and developed than in the West, especially from a natureopathic perspective. Alchemy in the West was definitely influenced by the Alchemy in the East. In Hechalot Kabbalah and Merkhaba mysticism, there is somewhat of a resemblance to Kriya Yoga, and other Kundalini / Chi / Prana practices. All of this is not surprising as there really is no East or West, there is just one round globe. The Silk Road was a melting pot of mystical and magickal traditions stretching from Africa to China.

Edited by Nathan
  • Like 4