david dharmabum lee

New guy

I just stumbled on this site and thought I'd check it out.  About 5 years ago, I sold my house in New York and all of my material possessions and went to India with a suitcase, a backpack and a one way ticket.  My wife had died from cancer a few years earlier. My kid graduated from college and my career pretty much screeched to a halt.  I was 63 at the time and I formally retired.  The sale of my house and possessions allowed me to pay off all of my debts and didn't leave me much else (I'll spare you the details), and I really didn't want to work anymore so I left with the intention of pursuing life as a yogi.  My Hatha Yoga, and Buddhist practices had been the glue that held my life together for about the last 30 years and I felt the universe was trying to tell me something.  I found an amazing yoga teacher in Mysore India, and I stayed there for the next 3 years.  At the same time I met a martial arts teacher who started teaching me qiqong and it quickly blew my mind.  I had dabbled in Tai Chi a bit during the time my wife was sick, but didn't really have time and energy to pursue my interest with everything else that was going on in my life.  

So the last few years I've pretty much devoted my life to practicing. Yoga, Taoist yoga, and qiqong are all extremely complimentary and I find that the synergy between these practices is totally amazing. While traveling to Bali, I met an Indonesian woman, fell in love and moved here.  I am finally beginning to travel and teach and  to teach privately over the internet, this is all happening by word of mouth, even though I have not been actively putting energy in this direction. I can't teach here in Bali because it is very hard to work in Indonesia, if you are a foreigner and the market is flooded is flooded with bendy young yoga teachers, which is not really what I do.

So that's it in a nutshell, except that when I left the US i started using dharmabum as a way to distinguish me from the millions of other David Lees in the world.  This was an homage to Gary Snyder and the book that help bend my mind in this direction when I was in high school.  I felt like Tao Bums might be kindred spirits.

much love and good vibes...

• Like 6

Hello, david dharmabum lee and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi david,

It almost sounds like you started a second life when you moved to India.  Nice that life is working out well for you.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Welcome, dharmabum :)

Quite an interesting life you have lead these past few years. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, david dharmabum lee said:

So that's it in a nutshell, except that when I left the US i started using dharmabum as a way to distinguish me from the millions of other David Lees in the world.

Hi david dharmabum lee,

Good for you. Now you have turned out to be the one and only 'd d lee'?

Welcome.

- LimA

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, david dharmabum lee said:

Nice to be here, wherever here is. Thanks

Im pretty sure youre at the center of the universe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I'm pretty sure youre at the center of the universe.

Good morning Stosh,

TDB is at the center of the universe?

- LimA

• Like 1

Prevailing theory suggests that in an expanding universe, no place can be said to not be equally valid as the center.  Or just being a drop of water in an endless sea, one cannot be estranged from the common circumstance. . Or Hi. 

Im not sure which thought floated this bubble.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Im not sure which thought floated this bubble

Hi Stosh,

Since your '?' is upside down, just let the bubble burst.

(How do you create an inverted '?')

- LimA

• Like 1

I forget how I did that. But it suggested to me , either a fish hook, or to signify an answer, rather than signify that I felt confused and was looking for answers. Looking at ones questions may reveal much, and I always felt that Dao was ,in practice, an inverted mindset where mystery , emptiness and so forth hold the answers to things. Rather than pursue physical forms its important to get a grasp of the context in which things happen , and the fish pursues the hook.... Either that, or the fish itself isnt so important. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 3:57 AM, david dharmabum lee said:

Yoga, Taoist yoga, and qiqong are all extremely complimentary and I find that the synergy between these practices is totally amazing

Yes!

I think taichi/qigong are maybe more functional and better for the waist and down, while yoga feels better for the waist up - I think of it as a multivitamin for my infrastructure. 

• Like 1