Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix3

What is the ideal diet for health and longevity?

I’ve been interested in spiritual/daoist diets for a while. However, the more I read, the more confused I get.

Since we (or most of us) are descendants of the Indo-Europeans, it would make sense that the majority of our diet should reflect their diet, which would have probably remained the same over the thousands of years, throughout the ice-age. That means we should consume mainly animal products (red meat, dairy, maybe eggs too? Unsure about fish), and have fewer vegetables and fruit which would have been scarce/non-existent during this time period and geographical origin of the Proto-Indo Europeans. This, I assume, is why so many caucasians are prone to diabetes and health problems from high-glucose foods.

East Asians (and Africans) however, were not as exposed to the Ice Age as the Europeans and the North Americans, so are probably more suited to a diet of lots of vegetables and fruit (exceptions being the Siberian East Asians who were affected by the Ice Age and survived on a mainly meat diet). This is perhaps why the foundation of Chinese culture snd civilisation is agriculture, and until today, there is very little meat generally consumed in a type]ical Chinese diet.

So I would understand why avoiding grains would be beneficial for caucasians (who gradually began shifting from pastoralism to agriculture only 3000-4000 years ago) because the indroduction of carbohydrates is still relatively new. But why do the Chinese Daoists abstain from grain? With all the people of China consuming wheat noodles and rice, I would assume the gluten-intolerant population in East Asia is very low.

To be honest, I don’t feel bad about eating carbohydrates/starch/gluten/grains. I’ve cut out all grains and as much carbohydrates as possible from my diet, and nothing fills me up quite like rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles, etc. I suffer no ill effects from eating such things, so why would the Chinese, despite the Daoists saying that those who consume grains live only a short life.

Also, do we not miss out on vital nutrients from carbohydrates and fruit (which wouldn’t have been available on the Proto-European steppe or glacier-covered mountains)? Don’t caucasians who don’t get their regular serving of glucose-filled fruit suffer from scurvy and similar ailments?

But just like the 5 grains forbidden by Daoism, the ancients say that most of the fruit and flowers of the Earth share a similar mysterious unknown origin.

So what is it?

Why were the Daoists trying to adapt an Indo-European diet (forgoing grains), and the vedic Brahmins encouraged a diet away from the natural Indo-European foods available (promoting vegetarianism and consumption of fruit)? I’m really confused what diet is best when everyone keeps changing their minds.

Why did the Daoists hate the legendary King who introduced cooking fire to China? It is said that the move away from continually eating our foods raw allowed our brains to grow bigger and more sophisticated (more energy is devoted to the brain rather than powering digestion).

So, my main questions are:

1. What is the most ideal diet for a layman/beginner today (I know advanced Qigong practioners have other options)?

2. What is the best diet to cleanse the body, both short term (for health/vitality) and long term (for the removal of the 3 corpses)?

• Like 1

Hello,

1. Eat a variety of fresh, locally produced foods and according to seasonal changes.

2. Cooked over raw. 

3. Vegetables over fruit. A piece of fruit after a nutritions fried-rice with soft tofu, free-range eggs and vegetables is OK. Eating raw fruit alone as a meal is not: Your spleen won’t like it. 

5. Eat slowly and chew food well, mindfully and m a happy state. Digestion starts in the mouth.

6. Sit down while you eat. Before that say grace paying your most outmost respect to Gaia, Mother Earth for putting food on your plate and also the human workforce that made possible for you to eat that meal.

Further info:

https://www.thoughtco.com/giving-thanks-for-our-food-449751

7. No watching TV, playing with your computer or mobile phone while you eat. Disconnect from everything, you and the plate in front of you are the only business that you should care about. Find a quiet location to eat peacefully. Do not think of worldly affairs and try to avoid mental chattery while you eat. This is a very important barrier that must be overcome if one plans to live a long, healthy and disease-free life. The Spleen is the hardest organ to fully heal, more even than the Heart.

Further advice about Spleen/Earth health:

1. http://www.meridianpress.net/articles/healthyeating-chinesemedicineperspective.html

2. https://www.chinesemedicineliving.com/acupuncture/what-is-spleen-qi-deficiency/

3. http://christensenka.squarespace.com/imported-20100106014405/2010/11/19/supporting-the-spleen-with-chinese-nutrition-therapy.html

4. http://wildwoodmedicine.com/10-ways-to-balance-your-spleen/

5. http://www.chinesemedicineliving.com/medicine/organs/the-spleen/

6. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4015133

7. The Traditional Way of Eating in China.  No other country, culture or civilisation has come this close:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352618115000657

Finally: 

Eat food cooked with LOVE! :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089181/A-meal-love-really-DOES-taste-better.html

Read and learn all the info given with great care.

Our modern world is very hard on the Spleen. Big truth!

Good luck!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 5

Thank you, but is tofu (made of beans/legumes) really ok? 

Also just realised that this should be in the ‘healthy bums’ subforum. Maybe a mod can move it there

Edited by Phoenix3

Tofu, good?  My healthy-diet sources say otherwise, though I`m not feeling motivated to post sources at the moment.  You can probably get the scoop by googling tofu and estrogen.  From what I`ve read, soy is a health no-no (although the fermented forms such as tempeh aren`t so bad, and natto is a great source of vitamin K).

• Like 2

Tofu is great if you want to get a soft full womanly figure and later switch genders and wear dresses, plus it will greatly assist you in joining into the ranks of the new Thyroid epidemic.  Also, in the US it's GMO, of course, which brings other potential health problems.

Best diet for longevity is don't eat any food manufactured in the US or China, or Europe, or grown North of the Equator, or on most farms which aren't yours. 

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 5:49 AM, Phoenix3 said:

So I would understand why avoiding grains would be beneficial for caucasians (who gradually began shifting from pastoralism to agriculture only 3000-4000 years ago) because the indroduction of carbohydrates is still relatively new. But why do the Chinese Daoists abstain from grain? With all the people of China consuming wheat noodles and rice, I would assume the gluten-intolerant population in East Asia is very low.

To be honest, I don’t feel bad about eating carbohydrates/starch/gluten/grains. I’ve cut out all grains and as much carbohydrates as possible from my diet, and nothing fills me up quite like rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles, etc. I suffer no ill effects from eating such things, so why would the Chinese, despite the Daoists saying that those who consume grains live only a short life.

Eating grains causes an inflammatory condition for any race, and inflammation is the bedrock of sickness.  The oils in grains are generally bad for creating cell structure and result in malfunctioning cells, no matter what continent you are from, particularly for people who eat mostly grain based foods, which is most people.

It does a couple of good things though, It helps the government save money on social security and makes lots of money for the food industry. 

• Like 2

I forgot one more important rule:

No eating after sunset and once the body-mind is greatly purified —> no eating after midday.

Make sure the bulk of your eating/most important meal of the day is when the Stomach Qi is most active —> 7-9am

It will make a huge difference in your state  of mind and practice.

:)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Tofu is great if you want to get a soft full womanly figure and later switch genders and wear dresses, plus it will greatly assist you in joining into the ranks of the new Thyroid epidemic.  Also, in the US it's GMO, of course, which brings other potential health problems.

Myth, urban legend, materialistic Western science. Mislead information. Eat a variety of foods, etc. already discussed above and watch your mind “during” and after eating. Your own MIND will slowly destroy you if you harbour hatred, anger, resentment, jealousy, greed, etc. even if you eat the food from the Heavens! 

Obviously, non-GMO tofu. If you happen to live in North America it can be an issue:

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2017/08/how-to-find-organic-non-gmo-tofu-soy-sauce-soy-milk.html

I’m still unconvinced and would stay away from all legumes, especially beans. After all, there was a 30 year study on Japanese men in Hawaii who ate tofu vs those who didn’t. The Japanese men who ate tofu became brain damaged (though one does wonder why all of China’s and Japan’s elderly aren’t also affected, especially vegetarians and Buddhist monks?).

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

Eating grains causes an inflammatory condition for any race, and inflammation is the bedrock of sickness.  The oils in grains are generally bad for creating cell structure and result in malfunctioning cells, no matter what continent you are from, particularly for people who eat mostly grain based foods, which is most people.

It does a couple of good things though, It helps the government save money on social security and makes lots of money for the food industry. 

Is the culprit the gluten, or the starch? If it’s the gluten, I suppose I can just follow a gluten-free diet which shouldn’t be too hard. If it’s starch, then that removes a lot of food from the menu.

FYI,

I have have been eating legumes since the age of 3. I’m 51 years of age now, eat legumes 5 days a week and brown rice 365/7 and still going strong and as healthy as a water buffalo! :)

Those studies were probably carried out by Western scientists that always putting the blame on the surface of the ballooon while never acknowledging that what’s inside is what matters the most. But for that we will always have —> Ancient Chinese/Taoist advice:

http://www.pingminghealth.com/lifestyle/three-simple-principles-of-health-preservation/

I also love and deeply respect the Buddhist approach to diet:

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6425/Eat-Like-a-Buddhist-in-10-Easy-Steps.html

Mind, mind, mind!!!

Eat in silence, chewing slowly like a cow and mindfully all the time. To master this you’ll need many years but when you do your health and state of mind will become pure like that of a newborn.

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

More:

http://innerlight-wellness.net/the-chinese-medicine-diet/

I’d be extremely concerned about not having dampness in your body and if you have it (most likely) make sure to remove it (costly treatment using Chinese herbal Medicine). Needles aren’t very effective in the removal of dampness and damp-heat.

Modern diet is a ‘recent aberration in the history of the human diet’ that has only developed over the last 50 years. Many modern food choices would not exist in the absence of fast global transportation and indoor refrigeration.

Let me suggest you to frame those words and hang them on your bedroom wall.

Legumes should be right at the bottom of your list of concerns. Actually it’s irrelevant, don’t like them? No dramas, move on and eat something else! :)

• Like 1

Doesn’t eating a lot of black pepper solve dampness? Why do you feel dampness is a problem for me/us? :)

Edited by Phoenix3

11 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

Is the culprit the gluten, or the starch? If it’s the gluten, I suppose I can just follow a gluten-free diet which shouldn’t be too hard. If it’s starch, then that removes a lot of food from the menu.

It's not the gluten.  A student of mine who thought he was gluten intolerant went to chine where they add gluten to things like rice and he had no problem there, so it isn't the gluten per se, it's more like 'american' gluten is poisonous but Chinese gluten isn't.  Starch is fine in small amounts but most people eat way to much.  It isn't so much the starch in grains that is bad, it's the proteins in things like wheat, and most of all the oils.  Grain oil is BAD, and it is seriously deadly for people who get all their oil from grains, which most cheap oil is..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

It's not the gluten.  A student of mine who thought he was gluten intolerant went to chine where they add gluten to things like rice and he had no problem there, so it isn't the gluten per se, it's more like 'american' gluten is poisonous but Chinese gluten isn't.  Starch is fine in small amounts but most people eat way to much.  It isn't so much the starch in grains that is bad, it's the proteins in things like wheat, and most of all the oils.  Grain oil is BAD, and it is seriously deadly for people who get all their oil from grains, which most cheap oil is..

I didn’t even know grain had oil. I’ve never heard of wheat oil or barley oil, but I have heard of olive oil, coconut oil, etc. What exactly is grain oil? I’ve never heard of it and I couldn’t find anything by searching. It seems rare.

Also, I’ve never visited America but I highly doubt their diet is worse than China’s. It’s hard to find normal bread in China, it’s always an artificial, powdery sweet bread, sold in little plastic packets. And they put oil in everything, and lots of it too. 

1 hour ago, Phoenix3 said:

I didn’t even know grain had oil. I’ve never heard of wheat oil or barley oil, but I have heard of olive oil, coconut oil, etc. What exactly is grain oil? I’ve never heard of it and I couldn’t find anything by searching. It seems rare.

Corn oil is the biggest grain oil which is mass marketed and it is bad for health in many ways, including that the corn used to make the oil is GMO.  All the other grains have oil, which you consume when eating the grain, but it is not normally extracted for selling.  The reason that beef fat and/or beef is bad for people in the US is because it is fed corn in order to gain weight, get fat, and greasy.  In fact corn does the same thing to people, it makes them fat and greasy ... with the wrong kind of grease.  Here in Ecuador the cattle eat grass, like they are supposed to, and the beef and it's fat are perfectly fine, good for you in some ways actually.

I did a search, in addition to corn oil there is rice oil, wheat oil, oat oil ... keep searching.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

Doesn’t eating a lot of black pepper solve dampness? Why do you feel dampness is a problem for me/us? :)

Please let’s be serious. Chinese herbal medicine has entire formulations (and the art of combining formulas by skilled herbalists) devoted to drain/clear dampness:

https://www.sacredlotus.com/go/chinese-formulas/category/formulas_that_expel_dampness

FYI, dampness blocks meridians amongst many other things, but for a meditator that means disaster as you can sit forever and go nowhere since your mind will be blocked from further progress.

Good luck!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

1. Clouded/foggy thinking

2. Nervousness

3. Irritability

4. Tiredness

5. Stiff and/or swollen joints

6. Heaviness of body and/or limbs

7. Lack of balance and coordination which is also a trait of Spleen Qi deficiency. Dampness and Spleen Wi deficiency or weakness go often together

8. Excess salivation

9. Phlegm 

10. Diarrhea

11. Frequent urination, urinary incontinence

12. Profuse cervical fluid

13. Pre-menstrual lower back pain

14. Cold hands and feet

15. Low back pain, weak back, especially lower back

Here is another porridge everyone should incorporate in their diets. Very good to keep dampness at bay but it won’t remove existing one especially if chronic. You need the guidance of a highly experienced and skilled Chinese Medicine herbalist who will prescribe specific herbs to remove dampness and clear existing heat if any.

Red bean + pearl barley porridge

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2010/12/healing-red-bean-porridge/

The internal arts of Bagua and Xingyi remove dampness (amongst many other things) very effectively but as per the golden rule it takes a long time to fix especially for us modern Westerners who grew up in a damp-forming society which nourishes this condition.

Since early childhood we all have developed dampness —> schooling system + fast diets, sweets, ice-creams, cold drinks and non-mindful eating and not chewing food well enough.

Dampness sits, sinks and accumulates. It can and will conceal itself very deep in the Yin. Heat rises up. When mixed up with dampness it creates damp-heat which is a terrifying condition. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this