manitou

Grief; Coping with the death of a spouse

4 hours ago, cold said:

"misery loves company" and I for one am glad company for the journey that begins with loss...

I have a bit of experience with crying, both in sorrow and in joy.

Funny thing being the deeper the sorrow, the greater the joy to follow.

Because I've never cried at this length and depth before, I never fully appreciated how incredibly healing it is.  It's almost a bliss when the tension, both physical and emotional, has been released.

• Like 2

Happy ground hog day!

Hopefully you are seeing a bit more than shadows these days.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

After the four month mark and I get through most days without crying at all.  There is still a constant 'ache' around the area of my heart that never leaves me.  Just an awareness that something is missing.

Did that silly animal see his shadow or not?

Funny - it's like the movie Groundhog Day.  It's like every day is just the same as the last.

• Like 3

Found an interesting distinction between sadness, grief, and sorrow (The Wounded Heart, p 224)...  Basically, sadness is disappointment from a mild loss that essentially can be replaced (like a missed event).  Grief is severe sadness over a severe loss that is irreplaceable (like a death).  And sorrow is being sorry for the hurt one's caused others.

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, gendao said:

Found an interesting distinction between sadness, grief, and sorrow (The Wounded Heart, p 224)...  Basically, sadness is disappointment from a mild loss that essentially can be replaced (like a missed event).  Grief is severe sadness over a severe loss that is irreplaceable (like a death).  And sorrow is being sorry for the hurt one's caused others.

That sure feels true.

• Like 1