Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Gun Control and Shootings

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Not impressed by the depth or extent of research or writing clarity.

Yes, I'm aware its an opinion piece.

But her byline describes her as a statistician and former news writer at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site.

For example I take umbrage with :

"Then my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States,..."

What year (or years) did this former news writer and her colleagues analyze ?

What was the source(s) of the information or data which they analyzed ? 

Again, I know it was an opinion and we all have one but for a professional to write with such poor clarity?

" As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun control restriction could make a big difference."

It became less clear to whom, the Author or the Author and her co-workers? How many co-workers and what are their credentials?

What data was used to draw that conclusion?

What "one broad gun control restriction" did she  / they have in mind?

• Like 1

Just wanted to take a moment to point out that no one has identified yet a "sensible gun control" law which would have prevented the mass murder in Vegas.

;)

Maybe his girlfriend could have controlled a gun and blew his ass away before he had the chance to do his damage?

7 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Maybe his girlfriend could have controlled a gun and blew his ass away before he had the chance to do his damage?

Maybe.

Maybe she's complicit.

Maybe she's the owner of the bank account in the Philippines to which he transferred  100 grand.

Lotta maybes still.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian said:

Just wanted to take a moment to point out that no one has identified yet a "sensible gun control" law which would have prevented the mass murder in Vegas.

;)

I think we should make guns illegal. That will work. Just like it did with drugs.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rene said:

I think we should make guns illegal. That will work. Just like it did with drugs.

And alcohol.

And prostitution.

And drunk driving.

And spitting on sidewalks.

And...

<sigh>

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ralis said:

The Las Vegas Review Journal is reporting the shooter was prescribed diazepam. So much for all the conspiracy theories floating around here.

Bradley Stone, a former Marine in suburban Philadelphia, shot and killed his ex-wife Nicole Stone, her mother and her grandmother, and he ‘chopped’ Nicole’s sister, her husband and their 14-year-old daughter to death with an ax. 

Aaron Ray Ybarra, 26, of Mountlake Terrace, Washington, allegedly opened fire with a shotgun at Seattle Pacific University in June 2014, killing one student and wounding two others. Ybarra said then he “feels he identifies with one of the Columbine killers, whom he identified as Eric Harris,” counselor Deldene J. Garner wrote later in a chemical dependency assessment filed in Edmonds Municipal Court. 

• Jose Reyes, the Nevada seventh-grader who went on a shooting rampage at his school in October 2013 was taking a prescription antidepressant at the time, and had told a psychotherapist that he was teased at school, the Associated Press reported. Reyes, 12, opened fire Oct. 21 at Sparks Middle School, killing a teacher and wounding two classmates before committing suicide. His doctor had prescribed 10 mg of Prozac once daily, according to police reports. Toxicology reports indicated that at the time of autopsy the suspect had a generic form of Prozac, Fluoxetine in his system consistent with the prescription given.

https://theduran.com/confirmed-vegas-shooting-suspect-proscribed-dangerous-drugs-just-like-many-previous-mass-shooters/

Interesting with documented events similar in  nature.   Does this mean the cause is a drug, or maybe a reaction that some people have using the drug either undocumented, ignored, or not tested for.  There must have been others who noted a change and ignored it, or had to have known what was going on. 

However drugs, have always been used to open different gate ways in the mind of person allowing them to do things that they might not others have done or consciously kept in check.  The link talks about isis using drugs for its members. 

"The word “assassin” first popped up in English around the 16th century via French and Italian from this Arabic word “hashishin”, meaning “hashish eaters”, which at that point was the commonly accepted name of the legendary Isma'ili group of assassins which had long been wiped out."

wow even weed is not safe..... 

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

And alcohol.

And prostitution.

And drunk driving.

And spitting on sidewalks.

And...

<sigh>

yep, very correct

others always asking for agency 

unwilling to face the consequences when its acted on

always asking others to control what they do not want to.  "themselves"

you forgot, a button that automatically hides post that one does not 

want to see.  

• Like 1

Make guns illegal?..  Why do I always feel like bursting into song when I hear the proposition?

I'm back in the U.S.S.R...  you don't know how lucky you are, boys...  Back in the U.S., back in the U.S., back in the U.S.S.R... 

It was done very successfully there -- only took killing about 70 million citizens and then it was very peaceful, for some 30 years out of a total of the empire's 1,000-year lifespan, but then, mysteriously, it was over and guns proliferated like mushrooms after the rain, because the empire fell apart and no one was in the position to do anything about it.  All violence had been the privilege of the powerful, the citizens had none.  So "when they came for the empire," there was no one left to defend it.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Make guns illegal?..  Why do I always feel like bursting into song when I hear the proposition?

I'm back in the U.S.S.R...  you don't know how lucky you are, boys...  Back in the U.S., back in the U.S., back in the U.S.S.R... 

It was done very successfully there -- only took killing about 70 million citizens and then it was very peaceful, for some 30 years out of a total of the empire's 1,000-year lifespan, but then, mysteriously, it was over and guns proliferated like mushrooms after the rain, because the empire fell apart and no one was in the position to do anything about it.  All violence had been the privilege of the powerful, the citizens had none.  So "when they came for the empire," there was no one left to defend it.

Bizarre in the extreme, isn't it?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Brian said:

Bizarre in the extreme, isn't it?

It seems like people do not understand freedom from government and freedom by  government.

Instead of taking control of their own lives they keep asking for more and more government control I don't get it.

Maybe they like the free stuff.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, windwalker said:

It seems like people do not understand freedom from government and freedom by  government.

Instead of taking control of their own lives they keep asking for more and more government control I don't get it.

I am supposed to somehow protect myself from incidents such as what happened in Vegas? Exactly how does that work? Bullet proof vests, advanced psychic abilities, looking over my shoulder every few seconds and so forth. Your narrative is absurd!

39 minutes ago, ralis said:

I am supposed to somehow protect myself from incidents such as what happened in Vegas? Exactly how does that work? Bullet proof vests, advanced psychic abilities, looking over my shoulder every few seconds and so forth. Your narrative is absurd!

Stop thinking like a victim, the means will make it self known.

Get over your fear of death, start living life....you will feel better

Why now, why this concern now but no concern over 

Final September Totals
Shot & Killed: 57
Shot & Wounded: 273
Total Shot: 330
Total Homicides: 57

http://heyjackass.com/

what do they call it " an inconvenient truth"

"Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 499
Shot & Wounded: 2403
Total Shot: 2902
Total Homicides: 536"

Total homicides: 536  and your worried about a going to a country 

western concert.   mmm must not live in Chicago 

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ralis said:

You cant protect yourself from bad shit like Vegas - and no one, and no government, and no laws, can protect you from that either.

What you can do, though, is decide how you are going to live your life. Your choice, your actions, your responsibility. Not someone else's.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, windwalker said:

Stop thinking like a victim, the means will make it self known.

Get over your fear of death, start living life....you will feel better

Why now, why this concern now but no concern over 

Final September Totals
Shot & Killed: 57
Shot & Wounded: 273
Total Shot: 330
Total Homicides: 57

http://heyjackass.com/

what do they call it " an inconvenient truth"

"Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 499
Shot & Wounded: 2403
Total Shot: 2902
Total Homicides: 536"

Total homicides: 536  and your worried about a going to a country 

western concert.   mmm must not live in Chicago 

Not a victim and not interested in your advice in anyway, whatsoever. It was not a rhetorical question. 

5 minutes ago, ralis said:

Not a victim and not interested in your advice in anyway, whatsoever. It was not a rhetorical question. 

Then don't address me, pretty simple.  

Victims tend not to know or understand the'er victims but they do like to ask questions

"Exactly how does that work? Bullet proof vests, advanced psychic abilities, looking over my shoulder every few seconds and so forth. Your narrative is absurd!"

of course they tend not to like the answers, which being victims is understandable

cant give up the narrative.  

Edited by windwalker

I'd watch out for homicidal maniacs driving cars and trucks, and anyone with a backpack, or a pressure cooker, or anything which could potentially contain a homemade explosive device.  Probably better avoid solid foods, too, and swimming pools and hot tubs.  In fact, might wanna just stay home, just to play it safe.

Oh, and be particularly cautious about men with large knives.

;)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, windwalker said:

Oh, you get it.  You know full well what is happening in America.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ralis said:

Boo!!!

The source of most of the problems is the government and its preaching of hatred.  Reduce the government and you will reduce this incidents.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this