CedarTree

Favorite Daoist Quote

17 hours ago, Marblehead said:

The Sage attains the state of inaction; in this state of inaction, there is nothing he cannot do.

Because nothing needs to be done?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cold said:

Because nothing needs to be done?

Good question.  Most often this is the perspective viewed from the thought.

There is an alternative though, which I like as well.  That is, while in the state of inaction we are storing potential energy so that we will have the energy to deal with whatever presents itself to us.  The harmony of Yin and Yang.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Good question.  Most often this is the perspective viewed from the thought.

There is an alternative though, which I like as well.  That is, while in the state of inaction we are storing potential energy so that we will have the energy to deal with whatever presents itself to us.  The harmony of Yin and Yang.

Inaction / rest = potential increasing / contentment = like money earning interest ?

• Like 1

The life of a man is merely gathered breath; when it is gathered, there is life; when it disperses, there is death. 

Note:  The word "Chi" could easily replace the word "breath".

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

I am going to have to paraphrase because it has been years since I've read anything about Daoism. A few that come to mind in a couple of minutes are:
The sage is sick of sickness. Therefore the sage is not sick.
Having compassion and humility and using conservation is a win.
Live in balance and harmony. Recognize there is a world at war around you, yet somehow maintain your peace.
Don't go fucking things up.
There is a sublime mystic female.
Don't be clingy.
Honesty is kindness.
Be authentic.
Synchronicity is real.
Simplify.
Virtue is power.
Know thyself.
Paradox ain't paradox once you've penetrated it.
The more generous you are, the more you'll have.
Find oneness.
Ride a galloping horse. Enjoy the ride.
Don't get stuck.
Never try and force something.
Be like water.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yep.  You heavily paraphrased that one.

It's unattainable, maybe throw that one out. replace it with chop wood carry water

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zerostao said:

It's unattainable, maybe throw that one out. replace it with chop wood carry water

No problem.  We can keep it as an imaginary attainable goal.

• Like 1

In the turning of time back and forth
the gaps are not enough to draw breath in.
Too soon and you've gone too far;
too late, and you can't catch up.

Now, the moon revolves as the sun retires,
and the hours do not travel alongside humankind.
Therefore the sage values an inch of time

over a foot of jade.

• Like 2

Oftentimes, one strips oneself of passion and desires in order to see the Mystery of Life; othertimes, one regards life with passion in order to see its Manifest Forms.  Therefore, those constantly without desires will perceive the Secret of Life; those constantly with desires will see only its Manifest Forms.

• Like 2

The Way that can be spoken of is not the constant Way,

The Name that can be named is not the constant Name.

• Like 1

The Heaven and Earth join, And the sweet rain falls, Beyond the command of men, Yet evenly upon all. 

• Like 4

TRUE EARTH ARRESTS TRUE LEAD; 

TRUE LEAD CONTROLS TRUE MERCURY. 

LEAD AND MERCURY RETURN TO TRUE EARTH; 

BODY AND MIND ARE TRANQUIL AND STILL. 

(True intent arouses real knowledge; 

Conscious knowledge also spontaneously responds. 

The three join as one, 

And at once body and mind are settled.)

• Like 2

Interesting you should bring an alchemy perspective into the discussion. I am currently reading Pregadio's The Seal of the Unity of the Three.

Not that I am a budding alchemist, I'm not.  I took up this read as part of my study of the I Ching .... and it has not been a disappointment. Phenomenal read!

I have the Cleary work you mention but was not very succesful with that. I just could not get past the symbolic/cryptic language. Pregadio has been much more accessible for me. I may go back and revisit Clarey armed with a better understanding.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OldDog said:

Interesting you should bring an alchemy perspective into the discussion. I am currently reading Pregadio's The Seal of the Unity of the Three.

Not that I am a budding alchemist, I'm not.  I took up this read as part of my study of the I Ching .... and it has not been a disappointment. Phenomenal read!

I have the Cleary work you mention but was not very succesful with that. I just could not get past the symbolic/cryptic language. Pregadio has been much more accessible for me. I may go back and revisit Clarey armed with a better understanding.

I'd never heard of Predagio or his book The Unity of the Three.  But the title in your post veritably leapt off the screen at me and now a copy sits in my home.  Looking forward to diving into that pond... thanks for mentioning it.