Immortal

Kechari Mudra

Sheng Zhen wrote a cool article on the full lotus, which has a myriad of energetic and conscious benefits, but I am curious about the an even more difficult feat. The full lotus is a pretty difficult asana, but with practice is easily possible.

BUT the kechari mudra seems almost impossible to me. For those that don't know what the kechari mudra is, it's supposedly the most powerful mudras in yoga.

ketcharimudra.gif

The benefits of this mudra are supposedly astounding when practiced during energy work or contemplation. I can touch the uvula with the tip of my tongue, but putting it behind it it's a complete different story. I heard that some people use a cutting technique by making very very small cuts in the frenum over time to allow the tongue to do it, but there are exercises that supposedly stretch the frenum as well to access this very powerful mudra.

I can't say for sure, but supposedly when the mudra is performed it automatically creates the microcosmic orbit, or at best makes the process easier and or more powerful.

Have any of you heard of it, but a bigger question is, if anybody on this forum can do it.

Search kechari on this forum and on advancedyogapractices.com. There's a cool youtube linked somewhere. I had a spontaneous kechari experience once, but I don't remember how far my tongue got, but much further than I can consciously do it. When I was following AYP I was snipping my frenum a bit. I'll get into it in the future at some point. I think it would mix well with a number of other practices... from asana, pranayama, to meditation/stillness practice to Kunlun, spontaneous chikung, etc... once you can park your tongue there, it doesn't take any effort to leave it there for stillness practice so I'm told.

Khechari means khaM+chari; kham denotes space and chari is to move. When the self or consciousness moves or resides in the space, that state is called Khechari. In Advaita, the Brahman or the Supreme is not 'nothingness' or 'Shunya' as in Buddhism. Brahman in Sat - Eternal Existence, Chit - Consciousness and Ananda - Limitless bliss. The 'space' here is a not devoid of consciousness and the mudra that alleviates one to this state is Khechari. Some practice this mudra for achieving powers such as levitation, moving objects at will etc. But Indian masters strictly dissuade such practices which do not serve the purpose of enlightenment. Siddhis or powers are described clearly as entrapments and those who fall into the realm of these move away from enlightenment. Also, real masters are said to never display their powers except for lokasangraha - to protect the meek or help the needy. Neither are Siddhis marks of realization for Ramana displayed no Siddhis whatsoever, at least willingly :-)

There are three ways to achieve this state: one through a particular mantra, one through a finger mudrA and the last is the royal path where the tongue is turned back as described by Immortal. Again, depending on the stages, you have the beginner or semi [laghu], half or ardha and full or purna khecharis. In the full form, the frenum is severed and tongue goes behind the uvula blocking the passage. This is the qualification for undertaking the third Kriya which can lead to Samadhi. Yogis spend 8 to 12 years mastering techniques such as dohana, chedana etc. [buttering the tongue, massaging it, pulling it, and slowly severing the frenum by few centimeters]. But in Kriya, Talavya Kriya, practiced over a long time, automatically severs the frenum. Like Lahiri Baba says, 'A Yogi should return to the pose of Khechari, always like the child returning to the lap of the mother to find repose'. Even the basic form of Khechari is very useful as it connects the two energy channels. But the original purpose of Khechari is to station the consciousness in space. I am close to it and should be able to get my tongue behind in the next months, i.e. if all goes well :-) My Guru achieved Khechari at the age of 19 and stayed in it for 18 hours everyday for 16 years.

Edited by SiliconValley

With a knife or through excercises?

Snipping means he was cutting, like physically with a sharp tool like a knife or scissors. I am also on the ayp forums, but I heard cutting the frenum is not necessary for true khechari mudra. Kechari mudra is achieved by practicing talavya kriya. Students are advised against cutting the frenulum. Kechari can be achieved through dedicated practice of talavya kriya which brings about kechari naturally.

This is the kechari mantra: Hrim Bham Sam Pam Pham Sam Ksham

I believe it needs to be said 500,000x to activate the kechari chakra this way.

Oh, and I did a search, sorry for reposting the same subject Yoda.

Edited by Immortal

This is the kechari mantra: Hrim Bham Sam Pam Pham Sam Ksham

I believe it needs to be said 500,000x to activate the kechari chakra this way.

This mantra is what Swami Shivananda quotes somewhere as he interprets Yoga Kundalini Upanishad. This mantra is wrong in two syllables and it is just a dohana mantra. Khechari is visualized as a goddess and she has a separate mantra which is a single syllable with five letters. Unless received from a Guru who can empower it, mantras do not give desired results.

7,00,000 is the prescribed number, but in the current age which is called kali yuga, the number would be 4 times the original number.

The severing of frenum is taught in Hatha Yoga. Talavya Kriya is the procedure in Kriya Yoga.

Edited by SiliconValley

This mantra is what Swami Shivananda quotes somewhere as he interprets Yoga Kundalini Upanishad. This mantra is wrong in two syllables and it is just a dohana mantra. Khechari is visualized as a goddess and she has a separate mantra which is a single syllable with five letters. Unless received from a Guru who can empower it, mantras do not give desired results.

7,00,000 is the prescribed number, but in the current age which is called kali yuga, the number would be 4 times the original number.

The severing of frenum is taught in Hatha Yoga. Talavya Kriya is the procedure in Kriya Yoga.

Actually receiving a mantra from a guru is not necessary. Those who have unwrapped the power of a mantra through many repetitions achieve something called "Mantra Siddhi." This means that they have attained some measure of power and proficiency with the mantra. At this point, they may give a mantra to others "with power," meaning that the recipient will achieve results faster that doing it without having received it "with power." However, Sanskrit mantras are your spiritual birthright since they are directly linked to the chakras. They will work even if you read them from a book and begin practice. The minimum number of repetitions to achieve Mantra Siddhi is generally recognized as 125,000.

• Like 1

Actually receiving a mantra from a guru is not necessary. Those who have unwrapped the power of a mantra through many repetitions achieve something called "Mantra Siddhi." This means that they have attained some measure of power and proficiency with the mantra. At this point, they may give a mantra to others "with power," meaning that the recipient will achieve results faster that doing it without having received it "with power." However, Sanskrit mantras are your spiritual birthright since they are directly linked to the chakras. They will work even if you read them from a book and begin practice. The minimum number of repetitions to achieve Mantra Siddhi is generally recognized as 125,000.

Yes, one in a million, after dedicated repitition for thousands and thousands of time, depending on karma and intent, a mantra can become siddha but that is not a normal case. For most, this does not work. The same Yoga Kundalini Upanishad states this as well, like with any scripture dealing with the science of mantras.

Every mantra works but if repeated for several lifetimes, which is not humanly possible. Or else, every second person in India would be enlightened as most of us recite one mantra or the other. Every chakra has a corresponding bIja mantra. But every mantra need not be associated with a chakra. Om namaH shivaya the classic mantra is a prayer to Lord Shiva. Every mantra has associated practices called mudras, nyasas and vizualisations peculiar to that mantra, called dhyana. Also, the number of recitations for each mantra is not some general number. The scripture which reveals the mantra reveals the number of recitations, what mudra is to be held, which direction to be faced, when to start the practice, what part of the day to recite etc. One can still hope to recite without an initiation or understanding any of the technicalities and can even acheive mantra siddhi but that would just be mainly due to some divine grace or previous efforts. Doesn't work and is more of a newage thing taught in the west.

Also, not every mantra works for every person. There are various techniques called sidda ari shodhana which determine if a particular mantra can be taken up for practice by a particular person or not. Without a master, one would just be dwindling with a group of syllables.

Edited by SiliconValley
  • Like 1

Some schools say not to cut... just achieve Kechari through stretching, supporting practices and merit. AYP says cutting is cool. I just dipped cuticle snippers in rubbing alcohol and made a little snip here and there. I knew I wasn't ready for the practice, but I just wanted my tongue ready for when I am. I only kept it up for a few months and only gained just a bit of flexibility.

The pilgrim might also find delight in Kechari's sexual applications... :P

This is definitely on my to do list!

Froggie,

Just off the top of my head (so to speak) I'd say that some sort of embracing the tree position with the hands at forehead level, palms focused on the crystal palace would be your best bet.

Yours,

Yoda

what would be the hand-mudra alternative for the kechari tongue-mudra, anyone?

I've found these images on some yoga sites, it appears to be the ring finger mudra. I verified myself during meditation it seems that work, but maybe is just a placebo effect :unsure:

01pn2.jpg

02hm4.jpg

I searched all over the internet for asian statues showing Buddha, Guanyin or Shiva or any gods or godesses but all of them show the index or middle finger mudras. The only images I found showing the ring finger mudra are the christian icons:

pantocratorsophiaak9.jpg

saintnicholasse9.jpg

Edited by steam

what would be the hand-mudra alternative for the kechari tongue-mudra, anyone?

Khechari Mudra is one among the 10 secret Tantric finger mudras, each very complicated. It is imparted during the initiation (diksha) ceremony to a qualified aspirant.

An incorrect and not-really-close-to-the-correct form can be seen here.

This should however give an idea of what it might look like. It is used while meditating on one of the enclosures of Sri Yantra (seventh), to completely still the mind and station it in Chidakasha or the 'Sky of inner Consciousness'.

Edited by SiliconValley
  • Like 1

Khechari Mudra is one among the 10 secret Tantric finger mudras, each very complicated. It is imparted during the initiation

Silicon Valley, you seem to be a student of Shri Vidya, how can one receive diksha, are you aware of any teachers that can impart this knowledge? Do you reccommend Amritanatha?

Silicon Valley, you seem to be a student of Shri Vidya, how can one receive diksha, are you aware of any teachers that can impart this knowledge? Do you reccommend Amritanatha?

Hi Xienkula,

Yes, I am a student of Srividya Kram Diksha. My Guru's website is here but he generally does not initiate people. I am not knowledgeable enough to pass opinion but Amritananda is considered as a 'new age' guru who picked some stuff from the ancient path and marketed it well. Some of the masters I have met, including mine, just smile when he is mentioned and say no more. I have met him once and was not impressed at all but was rather pissed by the sales talk, but yes, I am not judging him, this is my opinion and I could be wrong. If you were looking for someone accepted by the traditionalists, scholars and commoners alike, he certainly is not the person to go to! He does not go into much details and gives out a mantra, which is pretty much his teaching of Srividya. This seems to work well with people who want a taste of Srividya but for serious practitioners, this seems highly insufficient.

Regards....

I have met him once and was not impressed at all but was rather pissed by the sales talk, but yes, I am not judging him, this is my opinion and I could be wrong.

Regards....

I welcome the insight. I had come across his website and figured as much from the info that was posted. Nice mantras though, I like them. Im looking for a genuine path to understand Sri Vidya. I realise, it's a true commitment. Maa is worth it all. I am researching now about that teacher you have mentioned. I would very much appreciate some further discussion of Sri Vidya if it is appropriate.

Edited by Xienkula1

Sheng Zhen wrote a cool article on the full lotus, which has a myriad of energetic and conscious benefits, but I am curious about the an even more difficult feat. The full lotus is a pretty difficult asana, but with practice is easily possible.

BUT the kechari mudra seems almost impossible to me. For those that don't know what the kechari mudra is, it's supposedly the most powerful mudras in yoga.

ketcharimudra.gif

The benefits of this mudra are supposedly astounding when practiced during energy work or contemplation. I can touch the uvula with the tip of my tongue, but putting it behind it it's a complete different story. I heard that some people use a cutting technique by making very very small cuts in the frenum over time to allow the tongue to do it, but there are exercises that supposedly stretch the frenum as well to access this very powerful mudra.

I can't say for sure, but supposedly when the mudra is performed it automatically creates the microcosmic orbit, or at best makes the process easier and or more powerful.

Have any of you heard of it, but a bigger question is, if anybody on this forum can do it.

I can do the Khechari mudra, although I learned it from my Guru in Kolkata and practice under strict guidance per His instructions. I do not use it for the microcosmic orbit or other Taoist techniques. In Oriental medical school they touch on the orbit as it is such common knowledge. It connects the du and the ren channels which make up the orbit as we were taught in school. Whatever you do, do not cut, snip, slice or whatever just so you can do the Khechari. This is not the true way. There are stretching exercises that some schools of thought use, most exteranlly oriented. The true way is to use the techniques taught in Kriya Yoga which are considered internal. everything is internal and this must be the focus. Some practice for years and cannot get it, some practice 15 plus years and cant get it, some get it eventually, others in a short time span. This is all based on the grace of the Guru and your individual Karma. Snipping it and being able to do it will not yield the end results you seek. As for the Full Lotus, yes it is important to sit in a proper asana such as this, however, even without Full and only using Half lotus, if you can do Khechari it makes little difference.

Edited by yuanqi