9th

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

There is a so-called "classic paradox" that has been formulated thusly:  "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?" 

While the debate of "cliche" vs. "classic" is a whole story unto itself, for a second lets get back to the basic issue at hand because I always found it fascinating to hear people's various responses to this kind of idea.  What do some of you all think about such a virtual proposition?  Do you even have any personal opinions about such things in the first place?  Anything you may wish to share is quite welcome indeed, of course - but actual theoretical responses to the actual theoretical formulation is probably the most entertaining aspect of this whole line of questioning, I would say.

This is also interesting:

An example of this paradox in non-western thought can be found in the origin of the Chinese word for contradiction (Chinese: 矛盾; pinyin: máodùn; literally: "spear-shield"). This term originates from a story in the 3rd century BC philosophical book Han Feizi.[2] In the story, a man was trying to sell a spear and a shield. When asked how good his spear was, he said that his spear could pierce any shield. Then, when asked how good his shield was, he said that it could defend from all spear attacks. Then one person asked him what would happen if he were to take his spear to strike his shield; the seller could not answer. This led to the idiom of "zìxīang máodùn" (自相矛盾), or "self-contradictory".

Another ancient and mythological example illustrating this theme can be found in the story of the Teumessian fox, who can never be caught, and the hound Laelaps, who never misses what it hunts. Realizing the paradox, Zeus turns both creatures into static stars.

• Like 2

Sounds like something I read about reaping what we sow. It's not personal, it's life. We have to deal with the causes we set in motion and find ways to use universal mechanics to our advantage. What is strange is that the power just fell out here in the whole building, maybe street, like struck by lightning but without the lightning..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thursday said:

Sounds like something I read about reaping what we sow. It's not personal, it's life.

Wrong.

Its personal.  And its life. 

But those are just a couple of tiny little words that tend to paint a ridiculously inadequate picture of the actual mechanics, depending of course, on your personal understanding of symbolic thought, in all its origins and implications and so forth.

"Wrong." Sure doesn't seem like you welcomed my comment! :mellow:

What I meant was that it seems to me that universal mechanics work the same for everyone, for instance: gravity. This is why I say it's not personal. The ego will attempt to perpetuate the illusion that it is not effected by natural law, that it is above it.

Narratives like "life is unfair" and "this shouldn't happen to me".. Things happen regardless of that, the danger is in getting bound to these narratives, taking them too seriously.

edit: Just read there apparently are youtube challenges by kids, attempting to drink bleach for who knows what reasons.. Enough said.

Edited by thursday

There is no paradox except in theory.

In reality, all those examples simply don't happen.

That is to say, when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object nothing happens.

To say unstoppable force is just a different way of saying no immovable object. It's just silly.

Much more subtle is the famous example: I am a liar 😀😀

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, 9th said:

There is a so-called "classic paradox" that has been formulated thusly:  "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?" 

While the debate of "cliche" vs. "classic" is a whole story unto itself, for a second lets get back to the basic issue at hand because I always found it fascinating to hear people's various responses to this kind of idea.  What do some of you all think about such a virtual proposition?  Do you even have any personal opinions about such things in the first place?  Anything you may wish to share is quite welcome indeed, of course - but actual theoretical responses to the actual theoretical formulation is probably the most entertaining aspect of this whole line of questioning, I would say.

I agree with Gunther on this , the way we express events with words , makes presumptions which may not model what happens in reality well. 

In trying to be very exact about what is being said,paradox may be exposed as being centered on a false premise,

which  we are supposed to entertain, for the purpose of playing the game. like in  responding ..What force can be said to be unstoppable ?, What object cannot be said to be movable? There may be be true paradox , dunno ,  , but you will have to find it, since this popular type ... is the popular one. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stosh said:

There may be be true paradox , dunno ,  , but you will have to find it, since this popular type ... is the popular one. 

Maybe a popadox?

My favourite paradox of all times:

I don't exist.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

Im loving all these responses so far.  As always, quite enlightening.  Quite educational.  Quite, indeed.

And now, if you will permit me to indulge myself...

• Like 1

And so we will go ahead and close this little exercise session for the moment.  I would love to thank everyone for all their efforts and their time and attention.  It is so gladly appreciated by myself as well as our greater community.  I wish you all the best.