Mind only

Suppose:

There is only one mind

The concious presence

The field of awareness

Every thing appears/disappears in it

If you say it's all real, that's ok

If you say it's all unreal, that's ok

If you think some things are real/right and others are unreal/wrong😀😀you are in trouble, that's called confusion.

Peace

• Like 5

Relatively speaking, it is not a bad idea to have the ability to discern between right and wrong. In fact, its quite vital, i believe. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Suppose:

There is only one mind

The concious presence

The field of awareness

Every thing appears/disappears in it

If you say it's all real, that's ok

If you say it's all unreal, that's ok

If you think some things are real/right and others are unreal/wrong😀😀you are in trouble, that's called confusion.

Peace

Suppose:

a person is full of shit

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 9th said:

Suppose:

a person is full of shit

Then it is good to practice the following meditation:

From where does ignorance and ugliness arise?

Where does it abide?

To where does it liberate?

ཕཏ།

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steve said:

Then it is good to practice the following meditation:

Where does it abide?

ཕཏ།

How do you do that, exactly?

Do you just lay down and let it happen?  And do you use protection?

3 minutes ago, 9th said:

How do you do that, exactly?

Do you just lay down and let it happen?  And do you use protection?

I generally practice this sort of exercise resting in a five point posture, hands in the the mudra of equipoise... after some preparatory practice such as the 9 breathings of purification and tsa lung, and following guru yoga. I then seal the practice through dedication. It can also be done more informally such as here and now as I read and respond to this forum's participants. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C T said:

Relatively speaking, it is not a bad idea to have the ability to discern between right and wrong. In fact, its quite vital, i believe. 

Yes, we do that regards trivial things, which are simple, straightforward no-brainers.

But regards decision making, there were experiments done that prove that the unconscious beats you by about 1/2 a second every time. You react before you made the concious decision. So every time we deliberate in the concious mind it is only hesitation/fear/pretense, when all the while we are following our nature intuitively/spontaneously anyway.

I am still on probation here and have a limit to my replies. But this subject is a cross over Zen(southern school) and advaita moving into Jungian psychology.

Where does it abide?

ཕཏ།

The mind (collective and personal unconscious)

Peace

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Yes, we do that regards trivial things, which are simple, straightforward no-brainers.

But regards decision making, there were experiments done that prove that the unconscious beats you by about 1/2 a second every time. You react before you made the concious decision. So every time we deliberate in the concious mind it is only hesitation/fear/pretense, when all the while we are following our nature intuitively/spontaneously anyway.

I am still on probation here and have a limit to my replies. But this subject is a cross over Zen(southern school) and advaita moving into Jungian psychology.

Where does it abide?

ཕཏ།

The mind (collective and personal unconscious)

Peace

Looking forward to the end of your probation, brother.

_/\_

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 9th said:

Suppose:

a person is full of shit

😀😀Well, I prefer not to.

As the person (full of shit) appears in my mind, my mind would be full of shit as well.

That immediately poses the question: what comes first😀😀

Have you ever perceived anything outside your mind???😀

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

😀😀Well, I prefer not to.

As the person (full of shit) appears in my mind, my mind would be full of shit as well.

Yes, well I would never want to stand between a man and his preferences... so, have at it.  Live it up... and all that.

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

That immediately poses the question: what comes first😀😀

Have you ever perceived anything outside your mind???😀

What do you mean by "percieved"?  And more importantly, what you mean by "mind"?

Without knowing how you personally define those incredibly abstract terms, I really wouldn't even begin to be able to say.

^ Yup. Also, there is no point trying to concretely define reality. That is arrogance saying you know what it is - it's boundaries, where it ends and begins, etc.

@ 9th

You ask:

What do you mean by "percieved"?  And more importantly, what you mean by "mind"?

Without knowing how you personally define those incredibly abstract terms, I really wouldn't even begin to be able to say.

These incredibly abstract terms😀are defined in the utmost simplistic way in the first few lines of the OP as a postulate.

@Emera

In reply to:

That is arrogance saying you know what it is

in this context (Buddhist/vedantic) to know means to be. As an object arises in your field of awareness you "know" it.

It has nothing do with processed/edited info stored away in the folders of your memory bank😀

A legitimate question to "mind only" would be: is there an objective reality "out there" independent of the observer/perceiver mind.

If the mind is the infinite/eternal/luminous/empty field of conciousness/awareness reality then all the movements happen within this mind. Modern physics talks about energy/waves/particles/electro magnetic forces overlaid with inFORMation

Thanx

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gunther said:

in this context (Buddhist/vedantic) to know means to be. As an object arises in your field of awareness you "know" it.

It has nothing do with processed/edited info stored away in the folders of your memory bank😀

Thats more Vedantic. Definitely only half Buddhist. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, C T said:

Thats more Vedantic. Definitely only half Buddhist. 

😀I like to think it's Zen, the supreme vehicle of immediacy.

That said Buddhism is part and parcel of the vedantic tradition(Upanishads)

There is an attempt to say that it is nothing more than a socio/political reform movement, namely getting rid of the corrupt ruling priest class (brahmins, caste system) and making knowledge available to everybody by translating the scriptures from Sanskrit into Pali.

Later on when Buddhism became corrupted (materialism, nihilism) Vedanta reasserted itself with Sankara.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gunther said:

😀I like to think it's Zen, the supreme vehicle of immediacy.

That said Buddhism is part and parcel of the vedantic tradition(Upanishads)

There is an attempt to say that it is nothing more than a socio/political reform movement, namely getting rid of the corrupt ruling priest class (brahmins, caste system) and making knowledge available to everybody by translating the scriptures from Sanskrit into Pali.

Later on when Buddhism became corrupted (materialism, nihilism) Vedanta reasserted itself with Sankara.

Not according to some quarters, who would assert otherwise. 

It cannot be Zen either if you insist on the presence of an individually existent field of awareness that appears to arise in a 'you', or a 'me', or a 'they'. 

3 hours ago, C T said:

Not according to some quarters, who would assert otherwise. 

It cannot be Zen either if you insist on the presence of an individually existent field of awareness that appears to arise in a 'you', or a 'me', or a 'they'. 

Here are the first 3 lines of the OP(original post):

There is only one mind

The concious presence

The field of awareness

Thanx

Edited by Gunther

20 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Here are the first 3 lines of the OP(original post):

There is only one mind

The concious presence

The field of awareness

Thanx

Exactly. Vedanta

Buddhism does not posit one mind nor many minds. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, C T said:

Exactly. Vedanta

Buddhism does not posit one mind nor many minds. 

Please don't misunderstand Buddhism to be nihilism.

Bodhicitta, tathagata, alaya, the Unborn, Buddha mind, naked awareness, and many more terms refer to the luminous mind we are talking about here.this is the basis for all spirituality, be it Vedanta, Taoism, the mystic branches of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, you name it. It is the universal reality. In it appears the whole universe

• Like 1

Just now, Gunther said:

Please don't misunderstand Buddhism to be nihilism.

I wouldn't dream of it, sir, but its good to be occasionally reminded of the obvious. 

wishing you a splendid time on TDB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C T said:

I wouldn't dream of it, sir, but its good to be occasionally reminded of the obvious. 

wishing you a splendid time on TDB. 

Thank you.

I found this in one of your own posts from a few years ago (copy/paste):

One way to increase them is to do the Dzogchen meditation of resting the mind in its own nature. This is because bodhichitta and emptiness have the same nature, the true nature of the mind. Practicing bodhichitta openly and freely will increase your understanding of emptiness because compassion and emptiness are inseparable aspects of the primordial state of being."

Venerable Khenpo Rinpoches
The Buddhist Path

On 11/5/2017 at 3:03 AM, Gunther said:

@ 9th

You ask:

These incredibly abstract terms😀are defined in the utmost simplistic way in the first few lines of the OP as a postulate.

@Emera

In reply to:

That is arrogance saying you know what it is

A legitimate question to "mind only" would be: is there an objective reality "out there" independent of the observer/perceiver mind.

If the mind is the infinite/eternal/luminous/empty field of conciousness/awareness reality then all the movements happen within this mind. Modern physics talks about energy/waves/particles/electro magnetic forces overlaid with inFORMation

Thanx

TLDR

kthxbye

On 04/11/2017 at 7:37 AM, C T said:

Enjoy this belief and any other belief maintaining a dependently arising and self-imposed suffering of phenomena which simply IS. 

Focus just on getting your own choices to be in harmony with the Tao. The Tao will remain flawless, and your inner Buddha nature remains flawless. What separates them and arises all conflicts and suffering is not appreciating the perfect Tao and perfect Buddha nature. 

2 decades ago, my lifestyle was such that it lead to carelesely manifesting someone applying a good effort towards beating me to death with brass knuckles through the window while I was still seat belted into my racecar. Eye socket broken, jaw broken, teeth broken, eye lid cut and dangling, eye brow split down to visible skull and a dozen gashes and bruises through the back of my scalp and concussion and brain swelling.  At that point in my life, I chose to suffer it pointlessly due to lack of compassion for self. Still have some permanent 'floaters' in my vision from the eye ball damage and bone spur lumps on my skull in places. 

The Tao provides exactly precisely what I needed at that time in my life to make a shift in my life choices. It was not a bad thing or a bad experience, like all experiences it was precisely perfectly what was needed. Even one less hit with brass knuckles to my face would have been inadequate to create the path change needed. 

Every other bit of phenomena in this moment has also been precisely what it needed to be, no less and no more.  Only my choice to see and appreciate its inherent perfection is what's changed between life in a pointlessly suffering delusion vs life in unbreakable gratitude and liberation. 

Unlimited Love, 

-Bud

Edited by Bud Jetsun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bud Jetsun said:

Every other bit of phenomena in this moment has also been precisely what it needed to be, no less and no more. 

And so it is. Without the shadow of a doubt.

Wu Wei

Nothing to do with fatalism. Even the Greek stoics knew the virtue:

What cannot be changed has to be endured.

By the way, the stoic meditation was also to see things from a bird view. That way your own body/mind becomes the object of awareness and not mistakenly the subject. This is also a way to enter Big Mind

Peace

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 2

Huang Po -

"This pure mind, which is the source of all things, shines forever with the radiance of its own perfection. But most people are not aware of it, and think that mind is just the faculty that sees, hears, feels, and knows. Blinded by their own sight, hearing, feeling, and knowing, they don't perceive the radiance of the source. If they could eliminate all conceptual thinking, this source would appear, like the sun rising through the empty sky and illuminating the whole universe. Therefore, you students of the Tao who seek to understand through seeing, hearing, feeling, and knowing, when your perceptions are cut off, your way to mind will be cut off and you will find nowhere to enter. Just realize that although mind is manifested in these perceptions, it is neither part of them nor separate from them. You shouldn't try to analyze these perceptions, or think about them at all; but you shouldn't seek the one mind apart from them. Don't hold on to them or leave them behind or dwell in them or reject them. Above, below, and all around you, all things spontaneously exist, because there is nowhere outside the Buddha mind."

• Like 1