Oculus

Tried 2 day detox, questions regarding side effects

Hi,

I recently tried a 'detox' diet for roughly two days (just water, fruit, veggies, nuts and some salmon for supper). No coffee (usually drink 1-2 mugs daily)

I went on walks in the woods on both days, but I forgot the water intake on day 2, resulting in bad headache. 

The day I ended the detox diet (day 2) I felt a dull pain in my lower back.

The day after that, day 3, I got dull ache in my lower back, buttocks and down the back of my thighs. Some occasional dull ache in my lower  stomach, but not as bad. This was, at least of now, the worst day.

Day 4 and 5 (today) I had pretty much the same aches but not as intense as day three.

I guess these are 'withdrawal pains'. I just wonder about the nature of them and if there's anything I should do in terms of what I eat and drink. I still haven't had any coffee yet. Had a drink of soda with caffeine today and I've also had a few beers since the end of the detox.

All the best,

O

• Like 1

Detox is where toxins are flushed from the body. 

Did you expect the body to remain calmly settled when this process is initiated? 

How agitated the body gets during detox would largely depend on how much waste gets churned up, 

what sort of lifestyle one has, and the level of one's mental dexterity.

It is best to gather proper info as well, just to avoid any hazards or pitfalls. It should not be carried out 

if one lacks a systematic approach. 

• Like 6

Thank you C T.

I wasn't fully aware of this, no. This may be easy to tell me after the fact. 

Yes, I missed to prepare for this, I had no idea that less than two days of detox would cause this.

Will these side effects last long?

Is there a way to ease them?

Edited by Oculus

4 hours ago, Oculus said:

Thank you C T.

I wasn't fully aware of this, no. This may be easy to tell me after the fact. 

Yes, I missed to prepare for this, I had no idea that less than two days of detox would cause this.

Will these side effects last long?

Is there a way to ease them?

The question of side effects duration, I think its impossible to say without proper in-person consultation, so if you are concerned, it might be worth visiting a trained TCM/Ayurvedic/Tibetan medical practitioner. Or even your GP if necessary. 

If you want to go it alone, then generally speaking lots of rest, lots of warm water (no beers please), camomile tea, soft foods... these are some of the nourishing and gentle healing modalities that you can effect easily. 

Next time, prepare in advance before doing any radical or semi-radical detox. Without this, the body (incl. the subtle one) may be prone to some kind of trauma or shock, and this might be what has happened in this instance. 

Rather than performing impulse-like detox, I'd recommend soft detox, something that can even be done daily if you wish. You can read up on this, focussing on diet, organ cleansing (liver in particular), and immune system. Personally, I dont do radical detoxing anymore, opting instead to include a spectrum of foods and supplements that keeps the body clean all the time. Some of the intakes include beetroot, pumpkins, squashes, red cabbage, paprikas, fresh turmeric, coriander, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, probiotics, highly fibrous vegetables like kale, watercress, bitter melon, chards etc, and tinctures of echinacea, milk thistle and stinging nettle. When in season, it pays to collect wild stinging nettles for consumption, like maybe once a week. Highly beneficial. If your diet cannot do without alcohol, then a regular intake of milk thistle will fortify/tonify your liver to withstand the hammering it gets. 

Generally, if you really care for health, consume as little cold, fizzy drinks as possible - none at all, if you can. This is a universally gradual health-destroying habit that unfortunately has dug very deep, with dire, indirect, and extremely negative consequences. 

Edited by C T
housekeeping
  • Like 4

Thank you very much C T. 

I'll keep this very much in mind in the future.

I was just a little baffled by the effects I got from not even two days of 'detox'. As I stated, I even had some salmon on the first night.

Anyways, thank you once again.

• Like 1

A great impulse to cleanse the system!

Tune the instrument so to speak.

Four days seems my bare minimum for a fast/cleanse. 

Any shorter for me is more like stirring up the mud in a river and swimming around in it, rather than cleansing anything.

Day two is generally 'the mud being stirred up' day'.  After the final defacation without eating, my body reacts to emptiness and begins to shift processes, the stored up gunk begins releasing and the purge begins.    This can be decidedly unpleasant depending on the nature of the soil of the body at the time it's stirred up.

Much rest at home, short walks and (for me) lots of warm water, perhaps some ginger/lemon as well, good music, games and pleasant distractions can ease the wave as it crests.

Day three and onward, the waters (of my body), if allowed, begin to settle eventually resonating in clarity, bouyancy and many unspeakable qualities of healing, open being and general awesomeness.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

A great impulse to cleanse the system!

Tune the instrument so to speak.

Four days seems my bare minimum for a fast/cleanse. 

Any shorter for me is more like stirring up the mud in a river and swimming around in it, rather than cleansing anything.

Day two is generally 'the mud being stirred up' day'.  After the final defacation without eating, my body reacts to emptiness and begins to shift processes, the stored up gunk begins releasing and the purge begins.    This can be decidedly unpleasant depending on the nature of the soil of the body at the time it's stirred up.

Much rest at home, short walks and (for me) lots of warm water, perhaps some ginger/lemon as well, good music, games and pleasant distractions can ease the wave as it crests.

Day three and onward, the waters (of my body), if allowed, begin to settle eventually resonating in clarity, bouyancy and many unspeakable qualities of healing, open being and general awesomeness.

Thank you silent thunder.

Yes, I agree, on day 2 was where I also started to feel it. However, I obviously messed it all up by ending it (and having two beers at that!!!) on day 2.

Now I just want the side effects to be over with. And I can make a proper detox another time.

• Like 1

It's awesome you have the inclination to connect more fully with your body and what you eat!

Don't apologize for your process.  It's utterly yours mate.  I'm not judging a bit, except to give you kudoz for being interested in bringing benefit to your life in any way you see fit.

I had three beers last night while watching Dracula Untold and it was utter bliss!  (and fully unexpectedly, that film is now my favorite telling of the old Vlad tale, i expected it to suck, it was great!).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

It's awesome you have the inclination to connect more fully with your body and what you eat!

Don't apologize for your process.  It's utterly yours mate.  I'm not judging a bit, except to give you kudoz for being interested in bringing benefit to your life in any way you see fit.

I had three beers last night while watching Dracula Untold and it was utter bliss!  (and fully unexpectedly, that film is now my favorite telling of the old Vlad tale, i expected it to suck, it was great!).

I suspect it had something to do with the beers.. lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C T said:

Hehe thanks guys. Although I did quit the detox, I now try to eat healthier over all. Also following C T's tips for recovery. Lots of water and chamomile tea.

Still having the ache, it is now more prominent in my legs most in my thighs. 

Tonight was the first night without pain killers, which must be considered progress, but it wasn't very pleasant. Being constantly woken by my beloved three-year old daughter sleeping beside me didn't help.

Boy, this is a slow process.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, C T said:

Yea, the beers were fun, but the script was the real surprise... particularly in the scenes between the mortal Vlad and the demon/source and why Vlad was seeking the power and power's innate nature.  What is a monster and what is a hero?  When does the world benefit from a hero and in what ways can a monster save people through people's innate fear of the darkness?

Really surprising writing.

A man pinned like a butterfly, seeking to alter his surroundings at any cost... with no idea what the real cost, or real value even is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oculus said:

Tonight was the first night without pain killers,

well, it's all your process, but some painkillers are messing up the functions of the liver. Paracetamol is not as innocent as most people think it is. 

The cause of pain in the muscles can be an overload of ' gunk' in the body. You need the liver to clear this out, and paracetamol influences this process, lessening it, so it may even be adding to your pain.

but then you may be using something else as painkiller. In my experience it is in general better to endure the pain, even though it can be tough.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blue eyed snake said:

well, it's all your process, but some painkillers are messing up the functions of the liver. Paracetamol is not as innocent as most people think it is. 

The cause of pain in the muscles can be an overload of ' gunk' in the body. You need the liver to clear this out, and paracetamol influences this process, lessening it, so it may even be adding to your pain.

but then you may be using something else as painkiller. In my experience it is in general better to endure the pain, even though it can be tough.

True, I should consider non paracetamol..

I also think that stopping entirely with coffee also adds to the symptoms.

This morning I had a small cup of coffee and within ten minutes the pain was gone.

I then proceeded as usual with some chamomile tea with the breakfast.

The rest of the day I've felt almost as normal since then, but now, afternoon local, the symptoms are coming back after having picked up kids at kindercare, some shopping, and walking back home.

It has now been a week since I started my 'detox' and 5 days of aching. Just want it gone...

I'm sick of it now, and am beginning to regret the whole thing, altogether.

Edited by Oculus

I'm surprised by the detox effects as you ate as much as I do in a normal day :o

Maybe I'm on a daily detox diet :P

Now, the little kidding aside...  I would evaluate what you gave up during the time to include caloric intake and stuff like coffee to try to figure out what caused the effects.   It's possible the coffee change could do it on its own, for example.  You could go back to normal eating with no coffee to test that.

I love coffee.. and beer... and they have to be strong or else it is just water to me.  But I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning. High octane, please.   I've read in the past of folks who drink lots of coffee throughout the day and my memory is simply, it is not a good dietary habit.   I'd try to find some compromise in coffee intake.

BTW: I like CT's soft detox example of items to try, I do similarly. 

Also... maybe try to eat something rich or fatty...  see if the body is simply missing it...  ergo, a process of elimination to figure out what they body is asking (missing) for.

• Like 2

Stopping sugar and caffeine were intense for a few days... though, after a several year hiatus to let my system reset, I have lately returned to limited and wonderfully effective use of caffeine.  Sugar is such a beast.  Just a beast.

But when I stopped dairy, now that was really surprising... just how much benefit and how grateful my body was that I stopped taking in the reproductive enzymes from another mammal's endocrine system.  There was no let down at all from stopping dairy.  It was pleasant and beneficial right from the start.

The amount of inflammation caused by dairy in even small quantities in my system was extremely surprising to me.  And when I stopped taking dairy, the subsequent side issues that resulted from its presence in my system in additional resistance and tension simply melted away, making all simple actions of my system so much easier, released and open.  Inflammation is a real bugger.  It affects all other actions through its presence.  No sung in my flow when dairy is being processed, seems to be a truth for me. 

It was a real and truly beneficial awakening for this boy who was raised very firmly in the ridiculously, industrially pushed 'milk does a body good' system of the Dairy States. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, dawei said:

I'm surprised by the detox effects as you ate as much as I do in a normal day :o

Maybe I'm on a daily detox diet :P

Now, the little kidding aside...  I would evaluate what you gave up during the time to include caloric intake and stuff like coffee to try to figure out what caused the effects.   It's possible the coffee change could do it on its own, for example.  You could go back to normal eating with no coffee to test that.

I love coffee.. and beer... and they have to be strong or else it is just water to me.  But I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning. High octane, please.   I've read in the past of folks who drink lots of coffee throughout the day and my memory is simply, it is not a good dietary habit.   I'd try to find some compromise in coffee intake.

BTW: I like CT's soft detox example of items to try, I do similarly. 

Also... maybe try to eat something rich or fatty...  see if the body is simply missing it...  ergo, a process of elimination to figure out what they body is asking (missing) for.

Thank you dawei for your encouraging post. In this light, it makes it a little more interesting, than just a drag. Experiment of sorts.

Just for testing I had another small coffee now, and as before, within ten minutes the pain goes away..

My goal is not to stop with coffee all the way, but this clearly indicates that I need to consume less. And I didn't see myself as a big consumer. 1,5 to 2 mugs (don't really know many 'cups' that is, it's around 5-6dl or around 2,1 us cups) per day. Rather strong. In Sweden strong coffee is the norm. :)

Edited by Oculus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

Stopping sugar and caffeine were intense for a few days... though, after a several year hiatus to let my system reset, I have lately returned to limited and wonderfully effective use of caffeine.  Sugar is such a beast.  Just a beast.

But when I stopped dairy, now that was really surprising... just how much benefit and how grateful my body was that I stopped taking in the reproductive enzymes from another mammal's endocrine system.  There was no let down at all from stopping dairy.  It was pleasant and beneficial right from the start.

The amount of inflammation caused by dairy in even small quantities in my system was extremely surprising to me.  And when I stopped taking dairy, the subsequent side issues that resulted from its presence in my system in additional resistance and tension simply melted away, making all simple actions of my system so much easier, released and open.  Inflammation is a real bugger.  It affects all other actions through its presence.  No sung in my flow when dairy is being processed, seems to be a truth for me. 

It was a real and truly beneficial awakening for this boy who was raised very firmly in the ridiculously, industrially pushed 'milk does a body good' system of the Dairy States. 

Yeah that's also interesting.

During my two days I had only fruit for sugar, apples, bananas, oranges, and no dairy. However I'm not a huge dairy consumer. Never been. At least not in liquid form. However, I do normally consume some amount of cheese and butter daily, on the breakfast sandwich and so forth.

Edited by Oculus
  • Like 1

good, now you know that there are indeed toxic substances in your body.

Next is the choice whether you'll leave it at that or take he safe route mentioned by CT

(sorry, i could not refrain from mentioning ...)

• Like 1

No, I totally agree. This clearly indicates that I should change what I consume. Will definitely bring the coffee consumption down and eat a lot more healthy stuff. 

Had a nice lunch today, some mixed quinoa, salad, baby spinach, avocado and some lemon on top. Tasty! 

Edited by Oculus
  • Like 3

I guess these are 'withdrawal pains'.

No, with your detox you basically irritated your colon by destroying the natural lining. The pain is an indication that your nerves connected to the colon are inflamed. You have to restore the colon lining like naturally should be, including a layer of microbes that live there.

First you should eat fatty things to lubricate the colon.

Second you should eat pre-biotics and pro-biotics but natural not pills.

Pre-biotics are all vegetables that contain sulphur in their juices like onions, garlic, cabbage, Brussels sprouts. You have to cook them to get rid of the irritable substances that are spicy. Onions and garlic usually are cooked or stir fry before cooking with water, they become slimy transparent and retain their sulphurous smell. The sulphur is used by bacteria in the guts to eat and multiply. MSM is one of the substances are naturally produced in the guts, but you have to give them sulphur to produce MSM.

https://draxe.com/msm-supplement/

Pro-biotics are all kinds of fermented foods that have live bacteria or fungi that still produce the fermentation process.

These are saurekraut (fermented cababge), tempeh (fermented tofu), stinky tofu, kefir (fermented milk), yoghurt (fermented milk) but the best is Balkan/Greek yoghurt, natto (fermented soybeans), kombutcha (fermented tea), havarti camambert gouda brie emmental cheese (all these cheses are fermented, the smellier is the more fermented is) .

All these fermented foods give you healthy bacteria to live and thrive in your guts, these are essential for you to digest the food you eat. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2017 at 11:26 AM, Oculus said:

Thank you dawei for your encouraging post. In this light, it makes it a little more interesting, than just a drag. Experiment of sorts.

Just for testing I had another small coffee now, and as before, within ten minutes the pain goes away..

My goal is not to stop with coffee all the way, but this clearly indicates that I need to consume less. And I didn't see myself as a big consumer. 1,5 to 2 mugs (don't really know many 'cups' that is, it's around 5-6dl or around 2,1 us cups) per day. Rather strong. In Sweden strong coffee is the norm. :)

On 11/7/2017 at 7:39 AM, Oculus said:

Finally, it seems to have passed. What a RELIEF. 

Just my opinion... same reaction with most strong caffeine or alcohol reduction.... you can't just go cold turkey.. drugs come to mind too.

You have to know your intake of stuff and then know how to detox.   I admire folks who detox... I do it often myself but have encountered the problems you relate.. ergo... realize a down-step to reduction of some stuff. 

I drink really strong coffee myself...  one cup in the morning... never a second.... not due to a rule but because that is satisfying enough.  The rest of the day has something to offer..

I Enjoy a morning ritual... then find another... green tea, if you want more caffeine... but be careful of over-doing that...

I like very strong beer...  same reason.   If I drink something, I want to taste it.  But if I drink that for many hours, I can't function !  LOL...   

Here is the lesson learned.... more water intake.  I really hate drinking water but found it is the neutralizer.   Based on my wife's recommendation, we have a bottle next to the bed and anytime I wake up to go to the bathroom (particularly between 3-7), I drink some water.  

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, Andrei said:

No, with your detox you basically irritated your colon by destroying the natural lining. The pain is an indication that your nerves connected to the colon are inflamed. You have to restore the colon lining like naturally should be, including a layer of microbes that live there.

First you should eat fatty things to lubricate the colon.

Second you should eat pre-biotics and pro-biotics but natural not pills.

Pre-biotics are all vegetables that contain sulphur in their juices like onions, garlic, cabbage, Brussels sprouts. You have to cook them to get rid of the irritable substances that are spicy. Onions and garlic usually are cooked or stir fry before cooking with water, they become slimy transparent and retain their sulphurous smell. The sulphur is used by bacteria in the guts to eat and multiply. MSM is one of the substances are naturally produced in the guts, but you have to give them sulphur to produce MSM.

https://draxe.com/msm-supplement/

Pro-biotics are all kinds of fermented foods that have live bacteria or fungi that still produce the fermentation process.

These are saurekraut (fermented cababge), tempeh (fermented tofu), stinky tofu, kefir (fermented milk), yoghurt (fermented milk) but the best is Balkan/Greek yoghurt, natto (fermented soybeans), kombutcha (fermented tea), havarti camambert gouda brie emmental cheese (all these cheses are fermented, the smellier is the more fermented is) .

All these fermented foods give you healthy bacteria to live and thrive in your guts, these are essential for you to digest the food you eat. 

Thank you! However, as stated, I found out that those specific pains were due to going cold turkey on coffee.

I do have an old problem, with ache in my lower left back/abdomen amthat sometimes radiate down my left leg. I've had this for around 15 years. About 10 years ago I found a reflexologist (a very special elder, kind and with good power). He told me one of the things, besides eating healthier, was to do it SLOWLY. All my life I had just slugged it down. 

From then on, I've had the problem resurface perhaps every 3 months for a few days. I've also felt it, rather strong, these past days after the other pain went away. Once again I realized that I did NOT eat slowly. 

But now I'm aware of that, and today I feel better, over all. I will also think of the things you mentioned in your post.

Thank you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dawei said:

Just my opinion... same reaction with most strong caffeine or alcohol reduction.... you can't just go cold turkey.. drugs come to mind too.

You have to know your intake of stuff and then know how to detox.   I admire folks who detox... I do it often myself but have encountered the problems you relate.. ergo... realize a down-step to reduction of some stuff. 

I drink really strong coffee myself...  one cup in the morning... never a second.... not due to a rule but because that is satisfying enough.  The rest of the day has something to offer..

I Enjoy a morning ritual... then find another... green tea, if you want more caffeine... but be careful of over-doing that...

I like very strong beer...  same reason.   If I drink something, I want to taste it.  But if I drink that for many hours, I can't function !  LOL...   

Here is the lesson learned.... more water intake.  I really hate drinking water but found it is the neutralizer.   Based on my wife's recommendation, we have a bottle next to the bed and anytime I wake up to go to the bathroom (particularly between 3-7), I drink some water.  

I agree. That coffee stop together with the detox was a MAJOR hit in my system.

Feel a whole lot better now, and this has had me woken up a bit regarding my overall consumption.

One cup of coffee in the morning, and then just water, chamomile and rooibos, perhaps some fresh juice. Perhaps some sencha tea occasionally, I really appreciate it.  Alcohol only on weekends and nothing over the top.

Edited by Oculus
  • Like 1