Lost in Translation

Illuminating Dreams

Had a strange dream last night. Learned something new about myself.

I was in an airplane while it was falling. Pilot struggling to keep control. When it became obvious we would crash, I did three things:

1) looked at my wife and thought about how much I love her.

2) thought to myself "I wonder if I'll know when it happens?"

3) began reciting the Lord's prayer. I awoke before completing it.

The third item surprised me. I did not expect that. I need to dig deeper into this...

• Like 3

Dreams can provide clues and insight about the life in the waking state.  The experience can also become valuable if we become lucid in such dreams  -- some lucid dreams I had were valuable experiences to me.  I have had dreams where there was imminent harm or death as you have described before.  I haven't had these kinds of dreams in a while.   At the moment where it gets pretty intense, I used to wake up.   But, this changed subsequently.  Later, when I got dreams where there was imminent danger, the realization struck I am in a dream right away.  The dream became lucid almost always in such cases.  When it becomes lucid, it gets very interesting.  I can watch it without getting affected, or I can transform the entire scene.  For instance, once I was in a dream similar to the one that you described, my car was about to crash in a bad accident in moments.  It is amazing, how fast the realization that it is a dream can strike and how quickly the entire scene can be transformed.  In the next moment, I was on a beautiful open green field just enjoying the bliss and aliveness of it all.

I think it is wonderful that you were able to stay in the dream despite the imminent danger and observe it,  and later be able to reflect upon it.  If such dreams have not already become lucid for you (bringing out your presence and be able to see yourself apart from the dream), then I would say you are very close.

Edited by s1va
  • Like 1

Regarding lucid dreams, I have had many. Usually the trigger (what 'wakes me up') is observing something written. For example, a street sign, a shop sign, or maybe even a book. I will read the words then turn away. When I return the words are never the same. When I see that, it's like a sign post saying 'Hey, you are dreaming!'. Waking up in a lucid dream is always a fun experience. Usually I start to fly, or jump really (and I mean really) high.

This was not a lucid dream though. I'm grateful for that, since it helped expose aspects of my core being: love, curiosity, and faith. I had not realized the extent to which Christianity affects me, but since the Lord's prayer was my go-to last-thought-on-earth prayer that must mean something.

• Like 2

Yes, dreams do sometimes provide clues to the subconscious mind, the ones that are not lucid.  Not all of my dreams are lucid, but as awareness and the calm increased in the waking state, I noticed some increase in the dream state also, though certainly not proportionally.  I don't normally spend time reflecting on the details of dreams, but I do observe the emotions in the dreams and reflect from time to time.  This is where they are valuable in my opinion.  For instance a person might think they have overcome anger based on not becoming angry in the waking state.  If anger still shows up on dreams, then that is a clear indicator to me that there is still more work to be done.  

It is natural to pray or seek help in the times of deep distress.   Were you surprised you prayed or because of the choice of the prayer in the dream?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s1va said:

Were you surprised you prayed or because of the choice of the prayer in the dream?

A bit of both, but mainly the choice. I've heard of soldiers crying for their mothers as they die on the battlefield. I suppose we have a hard-wired instinct for 'parental' aid in such times. As I said, I need to dig deeper.

• Like 1

I got bitten by a death adder on the  leg in dreamland the other night.

the day before, the new woman here shut me down when I tried to inform her about local snake pros and cons, re her patch she is moving into ( after asking me about the 'energy' of that place! :huh: ) .... not even allowed to mention the 's' word anymore.*

I wasn't worried in dream though, I just thought; "Now, I just need to transform the venom into medicine. But then I realised I didn't know what death adder medicine is.  :unsure:

* now she has gone and bought these to put around !

Image result for battery electronic snake repel

:wacko:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

It appears some equate death adder to Wallenganda (sky snake, Milky Way,)  who  spat water down onto Ungud, earth snake, joining 'heaven' and earth and beginning the dreamtime.

So, of course then; life and rejuvenation.

[Pairing and moiety, eg, ;

Eaglehawk and Crow. In many parts of Australia, the Aboriginal communities are divided into two halves which are often equated with birds symbolizing the opposites, the Ying and Yang into which the universe is divided. Thus Eagle, in South Australia, or Eaglehawk, in eastern Australia, represents Day or Light and Crow represents Night or Shade, as in the Ying and Yang circle, although as in Ying and Yang, the two halves are complementary, for example marriage must take place across the moiety line and certain ceremonies cannot be performed unless both moieties are represented. }

• Like 1