Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

Nag Hammadi valid?

Are the Nag Hammadi versions of Bible texts such as, for example, the gospel of Thomas authentic? 

Some would say that they are not authentic because they have contradictions with the Bible, but is that a valid proof?

Here is an example of someone making the argument: 

lv1gNCC.jpg

Edit:

Went ahead and just made a quora on it:

https://www.quora.com/Are-the-Nag-Hammadi-versions-of-Bible-texts-such-as-for-example-the-gospel-of-Thomas-authentic-Some-would-say-they-are-not-authentic-because-they-have-contradictions-with-the-Bible-but-is-that-a-valid-proof

It would seem their are too many contradictions in the bible to consider it a valid basis for comparison. 

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

I dont know if they are or not for sure, but even in the "official" bible there are plenty of contradictions.. one verse has always stood out to me in the book of matthew:

"He answered and said unto them (the deciples) , Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given."

He only taught the "mysteries" to his deciples but to everyone else he spoke parables so it makes sense to me that the thomas gospel might contradict. We also have to remember that the church wanted power over the people, they wanted everyone to come to THEM for salvation, if all the people were able to find it on their own there would be no need for a church. Since the gospel of thomas is about finding salvation on this earth, i can see why the church would try to say it is a false doctrine.

So ultimately i dont know either, but i personally think the gnostic texts have good insights even if they are writings of "heritics".

• Like 2

According to scholar bishop Lewis keizer, the original aramaic version of the gospel of Thomas, predates the new testament gospels. 

He wrote a big scholarly book on the original teachings in the gospel of Thomas.  

Most of his work is available on Amazon. 

Peace

• Like 4

The modern bible was ordered and its books decided on at a time when no man in the church could envision a day when a common carpenter/artist like myself, and millions of other simple, common men and women like me, would be able to afford to purchase and also have the education to read a bible for himself.

As such, they were not concerned with the myriad contradictions littered throughout the entirety of the texts chosen to suit the needs of the church at that time.

If one takes the bible literally... such suffering.  Much pity.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Edward M said:

According to scholar bishop Lewis keizer, the original aramaic version of the gospel of Thomas, predates the new testament gospels. 

He wrote a big scholarly book on the original teachings in the gospel of Thomas.  

Most of his work is available on Amazon. 

Peace

I agree it is some interesting stuff.  But, I believe it is also important to say that he is a self appointed bishop and not part of any mainstream christian tradition.  He has also done things as part of his teachings such as excommunicating Pope Benedict (2010, as a heretic).  

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Wasn't aware he was a self appointed bishop, I know he has all known lines of apostolic succession.  

Yes, the reason he was excommunicated, was because of his attitude towards women.  Controversial thing to do for sure.  

Thanks, its important to take it all into consideration, like you say. 

Peace

Edited by Edward M
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this