Sign in to follow this  
TheWhiteRabbit

Acts 2:38

Has anyone done anything bad that they felt sorry for... Then went through the trouble of correcting that?

Each person posts their story.  Mine is known to most.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

28 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Many, many times but I'm not telling any stories.

Yes, I share this sentiment.

• Like 3

Maybe once or twice...but not sure re statutes of limitations, so... nope. None. B)

• Like 3

I try to be honest to who I am, and act with integrity as much as possible. There are things that I have done in the past that I would not do today, but I am not the person today that I was then.

And no, I am not sharing details. IP addresses don't lie, and I'm not the bragging sort.

• Like 2

The last time I consciously did something bad, I was 4.  I can tell the story if anyone's interested. 

Of course the bulk of bad stuff in this world is done unconsciously, at least by humans.  (The Unmentionables do evil stuff consciously and enjoy it.  I will use this name for them from now on.  I used to call them the elites, then the overlords, then I considered calling them the parasites, but none of these definitions satisfied.  The word "elite" had positive connotations originally, the word "overlords" implies power whereas we're dealing with abuse of power -- big difference, and the word "parasites" applied to them insults a whole class of animals who never go so far as to falsify the host species' habitat and endanger its very existence.  The Unmentionables it is then.) 

People who think they never did anything bad haven't been paying attention. 

• Like 2

The last time I consciously did something bad was 4 hours ago.  Ate an entire sausage pizza with onions and green peppers and washed it down with beer.  Note, it was a small pizza and I enjoyed it.   Will I correct it..?  Why? 

Spent the weekend downtown Chicago, passed by dozens of beggars and wasn't charitable.  Bad.  A poor excuse is I was with another and followed there lead, and the beggars were 'professional' and in the same spot every day, not that it lessened there need, but there are times I consider it an 'act' for the many tourists and as a local I don't need to fall for it.  Very self serving, rationalization.. but that's what I got.  All I can say is at other times I am better. 

Still if bad is what tweaks the conscience then I've done 60 or 70 bad things this weekend. 

**  FWIW we donate canned food and makes dozens of sandwich bags (2 sandwiches, cookies & fruit) for the homeless twice a month. & volunteer to teach ESL 3 times a week (not me, my wife). 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

Yes, there are some who will rise to the occasion and there are others who will get down on one or two knees and submit to the Devil.  

Yesterday I had a bad thought,  not telling what it was, but I feel justified for having the thought.

22 hours ago, Taomeow said:

The last time I consciously did something bad, I was 4.  I can tell the story if anyone's interested. 

Of course the bulk of bad stuff in this world is done unconsciously, at least by humans.  (The Unmentionables do evil stuff consciously and enjoy it.  I will use this name for them from now on.  I used to call them the elites, then the overlords, then I considered calling them the parasites, but none of these definitions satisfied.  The word "elite" had positive connotations originally, the word "overlords" implies power whereas we're dealing with abuse of power -- big difference, and the word "parasites" applied to them insults a whole class of animals who never go so far as to falsify the host species' habitat and endanger its very existence.  The Unmentionables it is then.) 

People who think they never did anything bad haven't been paying attention. 

Or maybe were not aware of themselves as much as they think they were when they did.

Well, if we call something a thing we choose.  I submit that we then give them a measure of power.  It is easy to group things like that or even people that we do not like into such groups.  That I also submit may be where our awareness betrays us.  It is easier for people to position themselves against groups.  Much harder for people to find a position above that that works towards a positive ideal that works in one's favor.  But when I speak generalities... I do not do so according to my disposition, but more of a reflection of how I had to come to terms with the outworking of things in a way that was eventually meaningful and yet had a useable and pragmatic approach.

38 minutes ago, TheWhiteRabbit said:

Or maybe were not aware of themselves as much as they think they were when they did.

Well, if we call something a thing we choose.  I submit that we then give them a measure of power.  It is easy to group things like that or even people that we do not like into such groups.  That I also submit may be where our awareness betrays us.  It is easier for people to position themselves against groups.  Much harder for people to find a position above that that works towards a positive ideal that works in one's favor.  But when I speak generalities... I do not do so according to my disposition, but more of a reflection of how I had to come to terms with the outworking of things in a way that was eventually meaningful and yet had a useable and pragmatic approach.

If we call something a thing we choose, we give ourselves a measure of power.  That's the rationale behind name-calling.  

But there's a difference between name-calling and calling a name.  In many traditions, knowing an entity's true name gave you true power over it, whereas name-calling gives only illusory power. 

I don't want to give the Unmentionables more power than they already have, so I choose to call them nothing -- to call them a name that mentions no names.  And my only message for them is, "You have no power over me."  It's true that they have plenty of illusory power over me, but real power?  They would have to know my real name.  ;)  

• Like 1

Man...  you are way off.

I hardly remembered who you are, and responded to what you wrote with zero personal allusions and no intent other than to respond to what you wrote with some of my own thoughts.  OK, now I do remember.  You're someone who thinks everything is about him.  Fine.  Who am I to blow against the wind?  If you think you've earned a place in my world, take it.  And if you think the only reason anyone would want to talk to you is out of "malicious intent," my condolences.  People must have been cruel to you.  But trust me, I wasn't one of them -- not in this thread and not ever.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2017 at 5:05 AM, Marblehead said:

Yes, there are some who will rise to the occasion and there are others who will get down on one or two knees and submit to the Devil. 

Yesterday I had a bad thought,  not telling what it was, but I feel justified for having the thought.

Yesterday you had a bad thought.  So saintly..

I had 2 bad thoughts just as I was reading this.  B)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thelerner said:

Yesterday you had a bad thought.  So saintly..

I had 2 bad thoughts just as I was reading this.  B)

Belly laughs.  You should try to clean up your act.  

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this