acdbox

Why live a Virtuous life?

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

If I have two broken legs I would be totally unable to help anyone walk.

Let's explore your broken leg scenario creatively. 

Your friend could lean on your wheelchair behind you while pushing you slowly as she walked. :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Intention must always be followed by action else all the intention in the world is of no value.

If my intentions are nourishing to my spirit/soul, that is quite valuable to me. Nothing is required of me on the formed level. Do I really need to accomplish anything or do anything?

(I am the lazy sage, btw. ^_^)

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 3:33 PM, Marblehead said:

Well, by living a virtuous life you are likely to piss off very few people and therefore you have a better chance of living out your natural life span.

The opposite my well also be true. Virtuous people can be awfully stubborn when asked to do something that compromises their virtue. Often it is easier to 'go along to get along', and that's very far from virtuous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rene said:

Those, sir, are very good questions.

Thank you very much Ma'am. 

To acdbox no intended harm.

No setting off of TDB alarms.

Virtues - from the Bums?

Roll out the Taoist drums.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

I've been taking classes in Mussar, an old Jewish wisdom/philosophy school on a more practical side, then say Kabbala.   Much of it deals with soul traits.  Positive ones.. charity, patience, forgiveness, equanimity, gratitude, strength etc., and negative ones anger.   You spend time, weeks investigating your relationship with each soul trait. 

Generally the extremes are bad.. ie going to far.   Say charity, its bad to bad to be stingy, but also hurting yourself to give everything away.   You think about the trait and where you fall on its spectrum.  You read up on thoughts (ie dharma speeches) of wise men.. contemplate where you should be then take actions that will get you there.  

Most of the time we do better with 'more' of the virtue, moving ourselves along the line, but not always.  Each person is unique, you don't want to become artificial.  Some need less of a particular trait to regain there balance.  You have to be true to yourself, but find your best self.   Which takes time and reflection.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

The opposite my well also be true.

Hi Lost in Translation,

Opposite = ying/yang?

Virtuous people can be awfully stubborn when asked to do something that compromises their virtue.

What kind of virtuous people are these?

Their virtues can be compromised? Like when they go virtual and/or viral?

Not very kind to say they can be - "awfully stubborn".

Perhaps nicer to say - "highly principled".

Yes/no?

Often it is easier to 'go along to get along', and that's very far from virtuous.

"go along to get along" - as we go along and ended up alone?

"that's very far from virtuous" - but very close to non-virtuous?

- LimA

10 hours ago, rainbowvein said:

Let's explore your broken leg scenario creatively. 

Your friend could lean on your wheelchair behind you while pushing you slowly as she walked. :)

Well, you get one point for that.  You done good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rainbowvein said:

If my intentions are nourishing to my spirit/soul, that is quite valuable to me. Nothing is required of me on the formed level. Do I really need to accomplish anything or do anything?

(I am the lazy sage, btw. ^_^)

Good reply/question.

Thoughts are action too.  At the spiritual level, there is no overt action being taken.  However, there is covert action being taken as during thought we are viewing alternate perspectives and we may, during the process, alter our former thinking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

The opposite my well also be true. Virtuous people can be awfully stubborn when asked to do something that compromises their virtue. Often it is easier to 'go along to get along', and that's very far from virtuous.

Yes, I am very fucking stubborn.  

Well, shit.  I am an Anarchist.  I doubt you will ever see me "just going along".  

But then, there are no absolutes.  If it is in the best interest of myself or someone else then that is likely the path I will travel.

What's that saying?  If you can stand for something you might just as well kill yourself.

Non-striving is commonly misunderstood as motionlessness, stagnation, or complete inactivity. Nothing could be more misleading. "It is the Tao of Heaven to benefit and not to injure, it is the Tao (or way) of the sage to do and not to strive."

What Lao-tzu implied was not to run around tearing our hair out over being and doing. Simply be and do. Be spontaneous, act as one's own master, be in command of one's self.

By running around with over concern we waste energy and slow our progress. The spontaneous way of being, working with the natural flow of energy, is called Wu Wei. It is at once working in harmony with nature and working in harmony with our true selves. Wu Wei results in virtue:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Wu Wei results in virtue.

Hi Wu Ming Jen,

Witty brevity. Very good,

- LimA

• Like 1