Rickie

sacred masculine

What is this sacred masculine thing?  I'm just not understanding it?  Are men no longer comfortable in their skin and are looking to some divine source to justify their masculine characteristics or not to feel bad because they're a man.?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rickie said:

What is this sacred masculine thing?  I'm just not understanding it?  Are men no longer comfortable in their skin and are looking to some divine source to justify their masculine characteristics or not to feel bad because they're a man.?

Hi Rickie, interesting topic! Both male & female are sacred, imo, vital parts of the whole... but I've not heard of this before. Google gave some random links; was there something specific you've run across?

Thanks for starting the thread (-:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rickie said:

Can you provide some context? Or, are you speaking of men in general who do "spiritual" practices?

Every human has the potential to realize they are both sacred male and female. Clinging to one or the other for extended periods of time would seem to hold a person back on their path.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Hehehe.  Sounds like ego problems to me.

In what way?

??

whats so sacred here? lol

But i do think all humans fell far away from their divinity ... due to the systems in place

8 hours ago, rene said:

In what way?

I had said:  Hehehe.  Sounds like ego problems to me.

Well, we each, man, woman and child, are but one of over 7 billion humans on the planet.  And we want to be divine?  I don't view that with a serious mind.

We can't just be what we are?  We have to be some kind of god?  Never mind.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I had said:  Hehehe.  Sounds like ego problems to me.

Well, we each, man, woman and child, are but one of over 7 billion humans on the planet.  And we want to be divine?  I don't view that with a serious mind.

We can't just be what we are?  We have to be some kind of god?  Never mind.

Ahh okay. Misread on my part; all good. (-:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cheya said:

Rickie, probably not what you are asking about, but this might interest you.

It has been truly life-changing for a number of men around here.

http://mankindproject.org

I love it!  If there`s a group in my city, I`ll check it out. 

It`s good, I think, for men to get in touch with the "sacred masculine."  This doesn`t necessarily have anything to do with the G-word (God), or with wanting to be more than human.  Instead, it can mean connecting with our positive masculinity and embodying our deepest essence.  Bringing that out into the world.

What does it mean to be a man?  This is a question many grapple with.  As I write, there`s an active thread here where people are discussing whether, and to what extent, men are more likely to commit murder than women.  While this may be a necessary conversation, it sure doesn`t show us men in a very flattering light. There aren`t many models out there in society for how to be both manly and, well, a good person. Being a man doesn`t mean killing other men and mistreating women, though a person could easily come to that conclusion watching too much Netflix.  Getting in touch with the "sacred masculine" sounds like something we need.  Perhaps there`s a new masculine awareness dawning.  It can`t come too quickly.     

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rainbowvein said:

What is a sacred male? What is a sacred female? :huh:

sacred means  devoted to a special purpose .

• Like 2

Want Ad:

Sacred Masculine classes.

Women only.

Preferably virgins.

And rich.

With good circulation.

Also, teaching turtle back yoga.

First lessons free, $450 monthly.

Must be ready, willing and eager to study something that takes up a lot of space.

In your brain. 

• Like 2

I think it's a misleading way of saying that there are different versions of masculinity. There's a better version, for instance where a man uses strength to guide and help others. And there's a worse version, for instance where a man uses his supposed strength to beat innocent helpless people. I think it can be the same thing for all of the different qualities of what makes up "masculinity"...there is a good use and a bad use.

It sounds very newagey to me to say "sacred masculinity" or "divine masculine" etc. Tooting your own horn, and lowering what's sacred and divine to a pretty mundane level...even lowering it to the depths of discussions on gender.

Same for "divine feminine" etc.

No human beings are divine. They are just human beings. You might think they're divine, but then you find out that this guru of yours was fondling your significant other behind your back...or any number of other abuses of power they engage in.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I love it!  If there`s a group in my city, I`ll check it out. 

It`s good, I think, for men to get in touch with the "sacred masculine."  This doesn`t necessarily have anything to do with the G-word (God), or with wanting to be more than human.  Instead, it can mean connecting with our positive masculinity and embodying our deepest essence.  Bringing that out into the world.

What does it mean to be a man?  This is a question many grapple with.  As I write, there`s an active thread here where people are discussing whether, and to what extent, men are more likely to commit murder than women.  While this may be a necessary conversation, it sure doesn`t show us men in a very flattering light. There aren`t many models out there in society for how to be both manly and, well, a good person. Being a man doesn`t mean killing other men and mistreating women, though a person could easily come to that conclusion watching too much Netflix.  Getting in touch with the "sacred masculine" sounds like something we need.  Perhaps there`s a new masculine awareness dawning.  It can`t come too quickly.     

I think you hit the nail on the head there .   What does being a man mean ?

We know what it used to mean .   But western society has gone through a massive paradigm swing there , only started around 100 years ago.   Many men felt disempowered with the rise of sexual equality.

What is the new identity ?   What many men had as their keel , they now feel has been ripped from beneath them, so they flounder directionless, creating things like S.N.A.G. movement (urk ) ... some just refuse to give in and exhibit the same or similar behaviours as before ... or change on the outside, but life at home behind closed doors ain't that different .

"That's 'women's work' ! I am not cleaning and washing and tidying ! "   ... Sorry buddy, that was 'your Mum's work' and you just never grew up properly .  Go join the army and see the first thing they teach you ... and make you do !

Image result for sergeabt inspevcts army barricks

I went to a 'men's workshop' once ... it was awful !

Spoiler

Image result for grumpy cat

.  Somehow we got on the subject of initiations, I asked the group who felt they had been initiated into Manhood, two hands went up, one, an aboriginal guy, the other some older guy from OS .  That shocked me. There were about 60 guys in that group.  So I rephrased the question " How many of you, in your own terms and definitions think some event or occurrence or  gradual development has turned you into a Man ?  About 10 hands went up . I was shocked. So then I asked the others ' How many of you, again in your own terms, think you understand what it means to be a Man ?'  Less than half put up their hand .   So that means half the guys there didn't have a clue !

What a sorry state of affairs .... no wonder so many things are a fuck up !

• Like 2

I did all four at once most of the time .     :)     But. yeah, some people do go more into one aspect and neglect the others.

It should be a balance. Even the fiercest warriors, who had no fear of death, in the martial tradition, were supposed to be able to write beautiful poetry, appreciate nature, arrange a nice bunch of flowers and make a good cup of tea .... or you were not really a  'proper man'         

Image result for historic samuari photographs

The thing is most cultures had a definition and a way of implementing it and teachings on integrating it .  Our modern culture seems to have lost that.  From an anthropological perspective, it still arises and takes its own forms as societies, clans and nowadays 'gangs'  -  but they don't integrate well, into modern society 'as a  whole' ....  they are small sub-cultures within a greater society (which, still, is relatively normal ... even in small scale social structures, like  Aboriginal language  groups here that contain 'sub-cultural secret societies' ) .

It was all supposed to be integrated in a development process. Many feel the industrial revolution played a big part in deconstructing it.  Previously many youth worked and learnt from their fathers in a similar trade , or were 'given out' as an apprentice to another who fulfilled a similar role ;  a 'Master' in some field or craft, who also had an obligation to teach.  Following a pattern adopted by Masonry, he would have become an 'entered apprentice' .  After a while he would have a trade. Then he could become a 'journeyman' and travel relying on his trade and supplement his training by what he learnt on his travels and with other people and places and cultures. Eventually he would become a Master, and teach his own son or apprentice.

Nowadays some still achieve it, by 'winging it themselves' . In some places , it is still active, but not in our society as a whole. Hence we have many lost and misdirected people, especially young men , jails are full of them . And also adolescents and teens going into adulthood, some are very lost and confused with no real mentorship.  There are some programs here that have been implemented, but its usually after they get in trouble , and then try to repair the damage .

I did extensive studies in the past on ' cultures in crisis' and what makes a healthy culture or social structure that way, and what makes them decline and die out. I was surprised to see a clear set of reasons and stages of degeneration , across the board , regardless of the culture, certain 'laws'  seem to be operating.  According to these indicators, our culture is entering terminal phase.

In one of the papers I was reading an L.A. gang's culture and everyday behaviour was likened to a group in a small African town. The anthropologist noted many similarities, he had come from LA and done a regular study, but in Africa it was more 'observation' of the group and conversation with the townspeople.  They had a name for them, he later learnt that it meant ' the failed men' ; men and youth, for one reason on another had missed out on their tribal initiation into manhood .  They didn't understand their purpose and what they were here for .

On that note. and I have said this a few times here before, I have heard  some Australian Aboriginals get totally confused, flummoxed , confounded by the concept  that someone wouldn't know their purpose or what they are here for ,  how could you not know that .  Of course, those that have lost their culture and 'spirit and soul' ... that seems the root of their problem.

So, by now, the remedy should be pretty obvious. In some cases here, with the indigenous, it has been shown to work. They can get their purpose and life and its meaning back together. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Aetherous said:

No human beings are divine. They are just human beings. 

Human beings are always mucking about, for sure, with even gurus -- those most explicitly claiming divine status -- routinely toppling from their heavenly perches in various sex scandals as you rightly point out.  Yet I continue to believe we have seeds of divinity within us.

Buddhism teaches that everybody has "Buddha nature." 

Christianity is named after a man who became (was?) also God.  Well, God`s son -- close enough by my reckoning.  My take on it is that we all have the potential of reaching "Christ consciousness," bringing us to a similar level.

In Taoism, I`ve heard that man is "between heaven and earth."  We`re not entirely consumed with the heavenly pole of existence but we`ve got a connection to it.

One thing seems certain: human beings possess great spiritual potential. Reaching full maturity means going on a spiritual journey in which we grapple with our baser instincts and integrate our sometimes disparate mini-personalities into a congruent psycho/spiritual structure.  (OK, now I`m really talking like a crazy man, but bear with me.)  We may, like Dorothy, end up clicking our heels and discovering that we were always whole (read: divine) and don`t need anything from the Wizard.  We`ve always had courage, always had a brain, always had a heart -- we just didn`t know it. Once we know it, we click our heels three times and return home.  It`s the same home as it`s always been, and yet different because we`re different.  Now we know ourselves in a deeper way.

Well, Dorothy clicks her heels.  Most men don`t wear heels, so that`s the women`s journey toward spiritual wholeness.  How do men reach similar heights of authenticity and integration?  Beats me.  If I knew, I`d likely be off in a cave practicing rather than blathering about the process on Daobums.  I just know there`s a way.  We can become so much more than we seem. To go on that journey, as men, is to become in touch with the divine masculine.      

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 5

Hmm.  Okay, I have decided to get really serious about this.  I hardly ever share specific practices anymore BUT...

That can all change.  What if I told you that you could repeat something 108 times a day... That would put you in touch with the divine masculine.  All you have to do is be consistent have 100% dedication and devotion to the practice -and do this every day until you do not need to anymore.  Which can be 21-100 days depending on how firmly you put your faith into it.

If I get 20 thanks for this post I promise to post it.  It is simple.  Its not a shakti or a bija... This method is like an atomic crack ride.

Can I get 20?

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Kar3n said:

Can you provide some context? Or, are you speaking of men in general who do "spiritual" practices?

Every human has the potential to realize they are both sacred male and female. Clinging to one or the other for extended periods of time would seem to hold a person back on their path.

A guy in another forum started a thread on this subject and I found what he was saying confusing.  I believed he's a young man in his 20s and confused about his identity as a man and masculinity.  When I commented on this he shot me down like I was an idiot. (my statement must have touched a nerve) and now refuses to respond to anything I post.  I google the phrase and still think it's about men that are not sure of themselves.   So I thought, what the hell why not see what other people think of this and posted here.  It's been a good discussion, thank you all but I think it's still an identity or development issue for some males (especially young males) and I can understand that.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Yet I continue to believe we have seeds of divinity within us.

I believe that to be very true.

But virtue (compared to its opposite) is divine, and humility is virtuous. To call a human being divine is the exact opposite of being humble. So the rare person who could most accurately be called divine, someone with true humility, would never refer to themselves that way. Not only because they are humble (and especially not due to a false humility), but also because it's not true about any human being.

No one's perfect. We might have the potential for perfection, or have the seeds of divinity within us, but who has reached it or fully cultivated it? You find that person, and you end up seeing their flaws at some point...especially if they put on an air of divinity, because that only means the opposite force (anti-divinity) is equally as strong in them, as well as this facade of divinity giving them a sense of power over others (which opens them up to taking advantage of that power).

We see this happening in Catholic priests sexually abusing little kids...the nonduality of holy intercessor, and pure monster.

discovering that we were always whole (read: divine)

I'm not sure that's the definition.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheWhiteRabbit said:

If I get 20 thanks for this post I promise to post it.  It is simple.  Its not a shakti or a bija... This method is like an atomic crack ride.

Can I get 20?

I find my normal 'crack' ride to be bumpy enough. 

I don't think atomic crack would be good for me :)  . 

kidding, giving it a like don't cost nothing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheWhiteRabbit said:

That can all change.  What if I told you that you could repeat something 108 times a day... That would put you in touch with the divine masculine.  All you have to do is be consistent have 100% dedication and devotion to the practice -and do this every day until you do not need to anymore.  Which can be 21-100 days depending on how firmly you put your faith into it.

I breathe at least 108 times a day.  Does that count?

• Like 2

Interesting how this tread subtly changed from  sacred masculine to divine masculine and then got criticised re the 'divine aspect of masculinity ' .     :huh:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rainbowvein said:

sacred... divine... just be yo'self! :wub:

I don't know.

Sometimes we need..

A break from ourselves.

• Like 3