Sign in to follow this  
wenwu

without a teacher again

Hello

I was looking over some old posts that i have n this site.

at that time i was lost sort of and trying to battle my way through without a teacher, a very special teacher had just left me and i was trying to deal with it.

years later i am in the same position again, through moving I am again without a direct teacher. Thanks to current communication platforms it is easier but still tough.

I have no idea why this situation has come round again, I think i am dealing with it better since i am an instructor in a few martial arts and on of those art in particular is set out in such a way that you are taught by your students. However, i do miss having a teacher to whack me over the head every now and again

how many people here are without a teacher? how do you cope?

• Like 1

I have no teacher.

I cope by calling myself really nasty names in my mind silently when I realize I am missing a lesson being presented to me.  The realization is the hardest part.  Self-criticism isn't all that easy either.

your post made me think about what happened over the last few years. less questions to people and less books bought trying to find the answer.

now i am at the point where i think that life is the answer. all the higher and lower realms and the energy work need to be actualized here.

there is no magical place that we can stay forever or a realization that will make everything stay alright. this is a place for learning and as such will provide us the challenges we need for growth.

dream big and grow hard or ask the universe for a lesson and put your gloves on.

• Like 4

I was at work one day and a painter saw my double dorje/vajra necklace and asked if I had a teacher.

I responded "yes.. everywhere!  you, him, the floor, the door, those trees, the insects...."

• Like 2

On 10/17/2017 at 5:33 PM, wenwu said:

how many people here are without a teacher? how do you cope?

Hi wenwu,

After learning the ABC from a teacher we become our own 'teacher'.

Why a 'teacher'? We are also simultaneously a 'student'.

Why a 'student'? We learn experientially - from ourselves and others to cope with life.

Experiential learning => lifelong learning?

On 10/17/2017 at 7:20 PM, Marblehead said:

I have no teacher. I cope by calling myself really nasty names in my mind silently when I realize I am missing a lesson being presented to me.  The realization is the hardest part.  Self-criticism isn't all that easy either.

Hi Dada-da,

After teaching us the ABC, a teacher may move on to teach others.

Thence we are each a 'teacher/student' combination unto ourselves.

Self-realization seeds a potential new lesson?

Realization may be the hardest part; but a great wake-up call?

"Self-criticism isn't all that easy either". Why?

Not easy to be honest with one's own self?

On 10/17/2017 at 7:30 PM, hart said:

less questions to people and less books bought trying to find the answer.

Hi hart,

"Less" because you have known a little bit more?

now i am at the point where i think that life is the answer.

I think so too - "life is the answer". But life is also the question?

all the higher and lower realms and the energy work need to be actualized here.

Actualized through the self?

there is no magical place that we can stay forever or a realization that will make everything stay alright.

Life is not such a magical place where... "everything stay alright".

this is a place for learning and as such will provide us the challenges we need for growth.

Life is for lifelong learning? We need challenges for growth.

dream big and grow hard or ask the universe for a lesson and put your gloves on.

Yes, the best lesson is yet to be.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:23 PM, silent thunder said:

I was at work one day and a painter saw my double dorje/vajra necklace and asked if I had a teacher. I responded "yes.. everywhere!  you, him, the floor, the door, those trees, the insects...."

Hi Creighton,

But of course - "yes... everywhere! ..."

- LimA

• Like 1

I miss having a teacher too.  Though its been a long time.  Undoubtedly many little errors creep into my sitting, breathing and posture that a teacher would correct.  Also my teacher would travel to Japan to learn from masters and fellow high senseis getting new ideas and exercises that been tested through and judged worthy.  Plus there's the inspiration one gets from a great teacher. 

Things change, sometimes improve and going solo we don't know what we're missing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Things change, sometimes improve and going solo we don't know what we're missing. 

But if we don't know we would never imagine that we missed anything.

• Like 1

Just now, Marblehead said:

But if we don't know we would never imagine that we missed anything.

and yet I do. 

every now and then i mourn the things i can't see; concepts ignored or not exposed to.  knowing in some alternate universe there is a me who's got there shit together cause they've seen, learned and applied lessons I haven't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thelerner said:

and yet I do. 

every now and then i mourn the things i can't see; concepts ignored or not exposed to.  knowing in some alternate universe there is a me who's got there shit together cause they've seen, learned and applied lessons I haven't.

I can't disagree with your view.  Maybe it is my age that allows me to think as I do.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this