Archnel

Hello!

Hello! I don't really know what to put here.. I'm kind of awkward at things, especially while introducing myself. I guess I'll just start with some background
Throughout my life (which hasn't been very long) I've devoted a lot of time to reading into different Western and Modern philosophy. Philosophy has always been my favorite subject, along with Political Science, since I was young. It kind of upsets me that my schools have never offered a class on either of those subjects. It's led to me slacking off in school and focusing on the things that really matter to me. Some might say that it's ridiculous and sets a bad precedent for the future, to which they could be right. However, with the short time we have on this planet, if I were to die today, I'd like to feel that I lived to the fullest. 
Getting back on topic, I've spent a lot of time reading philosophy. Though no matter how much I tried, it wouldn't help with this feeling of depression and alienation from peers I've always felt. While looking into Heraclitus, my favorite philosopher, I came across an article equivocating him to a "Greek Taoist". I had heard the term before, but never knew much about it. Surely if it was similar to my favorite philosopher, it would be worth the time gaining information. So that led me to research it. It's been a while since then, but I had never really implemented its message into my life. Last weekend, I arrived at a dark point in my life. I won't get into the details of what happened, but it led me to seek out the wisdom of Taoism once again. And now here I am.

I'm not sure if any of that really made any sense, but yeah, that's what I'm putting. Also I'm choosing to spell it "tao" as opposed to "dao" just because I think it looks cooler. Hope that doesn't bother anyone.
I'm glad to join the forum, and I hope to learn more along side everyone here

• Like 2

Hello, Archnel and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Archnel,

Nice introduction.  I hope you are able to get out of your present darkness.  I use both Dao and Tao.  They are just labels. 

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Thank you. I've been much better lately. Everything has been seeming to fall into place. I can't wait to meet everyone in this community. From what I've read in other introductions, things can get pretty fun

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Archnel said:

Hello! I don't really know what to put here.. I'm kind of awkward at things, especially while introducing myself.

Good morning Archnel,

I have been at TDB for 6+ months now. Your introduction is one of the best I have read. 

Throughout my life (which hasn't been very long) I've devoted a lot of time to reading into different Western and Modern philosophy. Philosophy has always been my favorite subject, along with Political Science, since I was young.

Philosophy takes centre-stage for me too, but at the latter part of my life. Currently I like critical realism (western). And eastern philosophies too - in particular Taoism and Buddhism (I embrace it as an experiential philosophy).

It kind of upsets me that my schools have never offered a class on either of those subjects. It's led to me slacking off in school and focusing on the things that really matter to me.

You are one kind - the kind true to him/herself. Good kind - to me.

Some might say that it's ridiculous and sets a bad precedent for the future, to which they could be right.

They could be right. But you are the right kind unto yourself. To each his/her own.

However, with the short time we have on this planet, if I were to die today, I'd like to feel that I lived to the fullest.

Yes. Don't waste time splitting hair re who is right. 

Please don't die today; we like to know you better.

I'd like to feel that I lived to the fullest. Yes - but the best is yet to be.

I've spent a lot of time reading philosophy. Though no matter how much I tried, it wouldn't help with this feeling of depression and alienation from peers I've always felt.

I had been told in my face that I was an escapist. I just smiled - at least I was not in some kind of prison or police custody.

While looking into Heraclitus, my favorite philosopher, I came across an article equivocating him to a "Greek Taoist". I had heard the term before, but never knew much about it.

Thank you for the introduction to the term. First time for me.

Surely if it was similar to my favorite philosopher, it would be worth the time gaining information. So that led me to research it.

Are you a researcher. I am. Not easy to be one at times. But NO complaints. If I were to die today ...

It's been a while since then, but I had never really implemented its message into my life. Last weekend, I arrived at a dark point in my life.

Everything happens for a reason. Think positive. Dark/light. Ying/yang. ...

I won't get into the details of what happened, but it led me to seek out the wisdom of Taoism once again. And now here I am.

It is your life - take quiet ownership. WELCOME!

3 hours ago, Archnel said:

I'm not sure if any of that really made any sense, but yeah, that's what I'm putting.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you.

Also I'm choosing to spell it "tao" as opposed to "dao" just because I think it looks cooler. Hope that doesn't bother anyone.

I too prefer 'T' over 'D'. To me 'dao' = tim-sum. I grew up with 'T'.

I'm glad to join the forum, and I hope to learn more along side everyone here

Again - WELCOME!

- LimA

• Like 2

I really like the way in which you break down each individual point and comment on those. As well as the way you use green text as a way of selecting specific parts of the quote you're referring to and quoting. I think it makes for effective communication. I might "steal" it more often

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Currently I like critical realism (western). And eastern philosophies too - in particular Taoism and Buddhism (I embrace it as an experiential philosophy).

If I may ask a few questions. What particularly do you like about critical realism? And could you elaborate on what you mean by "an experiential philosophy"?

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Please don't die today; we like to know you better.

I'd like to feel that I lived to the fullest. Yes - but the best is yet to be.

I don't necessarily intend on dying today. I'm just saying that in this world, anything could happen. We as humans don't always have control over situations or the world, but at least we can control ourselves and the way we react in handle situations. With enough training, of course. I hope the future is brighter
And I'd really like to get to know everyone here, as well.

Thank you for your kind words and wisdom

• Like 1