ljazztrumpet

In all things give thanks

The idea is to give thanks in every situation no matter what happens or what feelings you're having. Studying spiritual healing with some very powerful people/beings, this has been emphasized. One way to look at it is to see everything as a lesson for our growth in love consciousness. Possible to do in every situation? Maybe not. But applying this technique now and developing it over the last several months, I can cultivate much more of a feeling of thanks in more and more situations, which leads to a greater feeling of well-being more of the time. This book, From Prison to Praise, is, imo, outstanding in talking about cultivating this mindset, and took my practice to a new level: http://www.missionarychristian.org/phocadownloadpap/Prison-to-Praise-Merlin-Carothers.pdf It has a decidedly christian-bent, but I look at all that as a metaphor. I believe this mindset could be applicable to anyone who has some relative sanity, regardless of beliefs, or lack thereof.

• Like 5

I'm glad it's working for you.

I would never be able to go there.  It would cause too many inner conflicts.

• Like 1

Nice topic, Ijazztrumpet, very much agree with the idea. Regardless of what one's beliefs are - the fullness, richness and depth of this wonderous life is something to behold; gratitude comes with every breath. (-:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

I'm glad it's working for you.

I would never be able to go there.  It would cause too many inner conflicts.

Marbley-top - I'm pretty new here and I don't want to yet post anything that will make me sound too 'kooky'. At least until I have more practical evidence to the benefits of embracing 'far-out kookiness' (not to be confused with cookieness..cookie monster..oh, wait, that's for the 'simplicity thread'). But I will say this: I feel that Life has forced me into this position of learning to give thanks in more and more situations and feeling states. Of course it created, and still creates sometimes, inner conflicts within me as well..but, what it comes down to, is that I do feel better emotionally more of the time from doing this. So, aside from other things I believe I will gain in my life from doing this practice, just the feeling better emotionally more of the time is a good motivator for me. As time goes on, my intention is that I will post any further positive results from this practice I gain on this thread. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rene said:

Nice topic, Ijazztrumpet, very much agree with the idea. Regardless of what one's beliefs are - the fullness, richness and depth of this wonderous life is something to behold; gratitude comes with every breath. (-:

Hey rene, thanks. The fact that you are at a place in life where you seem to have such a gratitude for life is inspiring to me. I've always felt that living in a way that one loves and appreciates life is a very good way to live and brings many practical benefits. It's one of the main things I'm working on cultivating. All the very best, Lex

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ljazztrumpet said:

Marbley-top - I'm pretty new here and I don't want to yet post anything that will make me sound too 'kooky'. At least until I have more practical evidence to the benefits of embracing 'far-out kookiness' (not to be confused with cookieness..cookie monster..oh, wait, that's for the 'simplicity thread'). But I will say this: I feel that Life has forced me into this position of learning to give thanks in more and more situations and feeling states. Of course it created, and still creates sometimes, inner conflicts within me as well..but, what it comes down to, is that I do feel better emotionally more of the time from doing this. So, aside from other things I believe I will gain in my life from doing this practice, just the feeling better emotionally more of the time is a good motivator for me. As time goes on, my intention is that I will post any further positive results from this practice I gain on this thread. 

Hi Trumpet,

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not negating or speaking against your philosophy regarding thankfulness.  I am thankful for what I have, both material and spiritual.  But the idea is just too close to the concept of "unconditional love" for me to consider.

But for those in search of inner peace, thankfulness is a good concept to hold.

But I'm not going to be thankful for someone stealing something of mine.  No, that won't work for me.  Even if there was a lesson in it somewhere.

You are good.  Consider when reading any of my posts, I am 99% Materialist and 1% Spiritualist.  Most other members here are more balanced than am I.

• Like 2

Gratitude shifts awareness to opening the heart and softens the mind.

In my experience, it cultivates awareness of the very real and subtly tangible, but very meaningful connection between the perceived self and the 'rest of the world', softening the illusory boundaries of 'separate self syndrome' with the actual connected reality, bringing comfort, resilience and healing.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Hi Trumpet,

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not negating or speaking against your philosophy regarding thankfulness.  I am thankful for what I have, both material and spiritual.  But the idea is just too close to the concept of "unconditional love" for me to consider.

But for those in search of inner peace, thankfulness is a good concept to hold.

But I'm not going to be thankful for someone stealing something of mine.  No, that won't work for me.  Even if there was a lesson in it somewhere.

You are good.  Consider when reading any of my posts, I am 99% Materialist and 1% Spiritualist.  Most other members here are more balanced than am I.

Haha..I can dig it Marbleman;-) I am very into spiritual teachings and healing myself..but I also can be quite the skeptic when it comes to all this stuff.. I need a lot of proof..I need to see practical, tangible 'real world' results in my own life.. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Gratitude shifts awareness to opening the heart and softens the mind.

In my experience, it cultivates awareness of the very real and subtly tangible, but very meaningful connection between the perceived self and the 'rest of the world', softening the illusory boundaries of 'separate self syndrome' with the actual connected reality, bringing comfort, resilience and healing.

Silent Thunder, that is a really beautiful and deep way to put it. I'm going to be sending what you wrote to a few friends. I wasn't even thinking of gratitude as a tool to dissolve the idea that we think we are separate from each other. But I definitely believe that it does take actual practices to have experiential awareness of this - not just reading intellectual ideas about it, going to satsangs, etc.. Now I am even more excited about this practice!:-)

I think if one focuses on cultivating the qualities of love, gratitude, compassion, humility, kindness, benevolence, etc.. Then all those 'advaitic awakening concepts' that are discussed will eventually just automatically become our experience. 

Thanks again! :-)

Edited by ljazztrumpet
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Hi Trumpet,

That's jazz Trumpet to you Mister! (Or you can just use ljazz..or JT;-)

53 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Most other members here are more balanced than am I.

Hey, let's have a humility contest!

No Marbler, you are much more balanced than I am! How dare you insinuate that your balance is less than mine! :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ljazztrumpet said:

No Marbler, you are much more balanced than I am! How dare you insinuate that your balance is less than mine! :lol:

I am a maggots feces and I am forever grateful.

When I get bills I am thankful to have these services.

When God is not there I am thankful that man created God so I do not need to be responsible or answer deep questions for myself.

When I use my power I always give credit  to an entity that is way better then myself being  the feces of a maggot and a sinner

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

I am a maggots feces and I am forever grateful.

When I get bills I am thankful to have these services.

When God is not there I am thankful that man created God so I do not need to be responsible or answer deep questions for myself.

When I use my power I always give credit  to an entity that is way better then myself being  the feces of a maggot and a sinner

a few moments after reading this eloquence, from my television Alan Watts said:

"and so we can come to wonder...who it is, who carries this corpse and its skeleton around in what we call life?"

• Like 2

Allen Watts on the TV that is awesome.

That which animates body is not me. I was never my bones that turn to dust.I travel in the homeland of nothing what so ever and sit beside the tree of life only to seek the shade. Many are bright and illuminate the the world yet I am dumb and dark the feces of a maggot. Plus I have very high self esteem perfectly fine with my condition. The image I project to the outside world no one takes notice or cares.

• Like 2

Real gratitude is not in what one receives, 

rather, it is to be thankful for what one has, to give... 

If you have a little, share a little; if you have much, give more.

That sort of spontaneous gratitude that wells up within from giving, words cannot describe.  

For it is always good to heed the reminder that howsoever blessed we are,

are also gifts we have received along the way. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, C T said:

That sort of spontaneous gratitude that wells up within from giving, words cannot describe.  

This is awesome

1 hour ago, C T said:

I used to keep a Gratitude journal, then I realized it's not enough.  I added Generosity to it, recording things I've done to help others.  To be truly thankful, you also have to add to the pot. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, C T said:

I think it takes practice to cultivate this type of mindset. Maybe we are lucky enough to encounter people who live this way. Or maybe it's just extreme suffering that leads us to this type of realization. 

What's funny is I just read this and I guy came up to me in my car (I'm down in wall st, nyc waiting for my gig to start) just released from prison and needed me to share some $ with him. And it was just spontaneous for me to give something - I mean literally right after I read what you wrote he knocked on my window! :-)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I used to keep a Gratitude journal, then I realized it's not enough.  I added Generosity to it, recording things I've done to help others.  To be truly thankful, you also have to add to the pot. 

Yeah the GJ alone never worked well for me. I was told by a loved one in a mystical experience that the GJ is good - but it has to be from the heart, not just the mind thinking what you're grateful for. She said in every second the heart can find something to be truly grateful for. Just put your hand over it and 'tune in to it'. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thelerner said:

at this point I seem to be a citizen of the following cities.

generocity, reciprocity and synchronicity

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

at this point I seem to be a citizen of the following cities.

generocity, reciprocity and synchronicity

:rene waves to all from her home in simplicity: ^_^  🌲🦋

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Allen Watts on the TV that is awesome.

Didn't he do The Tonight Show once? 

Hiyo!

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

That which animates body is not me. I was never my bones that turn to dust.I travel in the homeland of nothing what so ever and sit beside the tree of life only to seek the shade. Many are bright and illuminate the the world yet I am dumb and dark the feces of a maggot. Plus I have very high self esteem perfectly fine with my condition. The image I project to the outside world no one takes notice or cares.

Socrates said something to the effect of that the only thing he knows is that he doesn't know anything. How disappointing! I thought, at this point, I would know a lot.  

But, seriously, folks. Isn't it all about surrender? The not knowing? To be poetic, perhaps it means we are 'living in the heart' rather than the head. So I've learned to be comfortable with the 'I don't know'.

• Like 1

Each time we dream we go into the frontiers of 'I dont know' land. 

Dreams are like induction programs to the real thing. 

For those who know dreams, they are never bewildered when the real and final 'I dont know' shows up. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ljazztrumpet said:

I actually considered heading that Jazz but for whatever the reason opted for Trumpet.

I will try to remember, it is Jazz henceforth.

I actually don't even talk about balance all that much.  I prefer the concept of harmony.

39 minutes ago, ljazztrumpet said:

Didn't he do The Tonight Show once? 

Hiyo!

Socrates said something to the effect of that the only thing he knows is that he doesn't know anything. How disappointing! I thought, at this point, I would know a lot.  

But, seriously, folks. Isn't it all about surrender? The not knowing? To be poetic, perhaps it means we are 'living in the heart' rather than the head. So I've learned to be comfortable with the 'I don't know'.

Yea living in the heart, that's why I like CT post about giving that is right from the heart. People that are internally wealthy have a lot to give and those who are spiritually bankrupt seem to only take..

It seems everyone knows where they came from because the answer is mostly I do not know. So we come from the unknown and return to the unknown but did we actually go anywhere.

• Like 2