I am not here now

I am not here now

Nor ever was, nor will be...

A loon calls at dusk

A loon calls at dusk

a sweet sound, it stops my mind

the fruit has ripened

Little1 said:

(all the haiku i ever read were about catching glimpses on nature, just so. get a load of how we, as westerners, transform it into a cry of subjectiveness. i will try to repare some of the harm done to the good name of haiku :lol: )

:rolleyes:

That's because they wrote about what they were interacting with, and we write about what we are interacting with.

I wouldn't attempt to write a stylistically Chinese-identical haiku in English in any event because it's absolutely impossible --

a haiku is a visual image first and foremost, its calligraphy is part of its overall artistic design. It is really an exquisite multimedia art form, and it is impossible to replicate in any Romano-Germanic or Slavic or Finno-Ugric, etc., language. Written Chinese was being developed as, among other things, a form of art for millennia. Written English is anything but. (I'm aware of only one American poet who attempted to draw pictures by shaping the lines of his poems into an image -- George Starbuck. He's an excellent and complex and therefore nearly universally unknown poet -- I believe by far the best American poet of the 20th century -- but still this attempt of his at doing art with the written English text is laughable.)

Emperor Kangxi, when the Jesuit missionaries showed him the holy bible for the first time, couldn't believe it's their sacred book. "The lines look as though they were left by a bunch of cockroaches scurrying across a dusty table," he said. He meant no disrespect, in fact he opened China to Christian missionaries for the first time in history -- he was just commenting on the visual impact of the pages.

Edited by Taomeow

very interesting

i think yet another principle was not putting the self inside it, just merely hinting it, as there was someone to observe the scene, but you couldnt tell how was that person...

very interesting

i think yet another principle was not putting the self inside it, just merely hinting it, as there was someone to observe the scene, but you couldnt tell how was that person...

A little like this perhaps....

into a puddle

the raindrops begin to fall

reflection distorts

I assume that the visual impact was all that he could relate to unless he could read the Euro language without translation

Reflection distorts

puddles are but stepping stones

Lightning but signposts

Edited by Wayfarer64

Emperor Kangxi, when the Jesuit missionaries showed him the holy bible for the first time, couldn't believe it's their sacred book. "The lines look as though they were left by a bunch of cockroaches scurrying across a dusty table," he said. He meant no disrespect, in fact he opened China to Christian missionaries for the first time in history -- he was just commenting on the visual impact of the pages.

Anyone?

Imprints left behind

by cockroaches in the dust

what meaning is there

• Like 1

How about -

Cockroaches scamper

tiny marks on wind blown sand

A new path made clear

Edited by Wayfarer64

Nice 1

I love this thread, apologies to the people who have to read my poems :huh: