rene

The Cucumber Sage

1 hour ago, rene said:

This story is wonderful - and a perfect example of how others mis-interpret what they observe.  Wu Ming, the unwitting Sage in this story, is one of my true heroes.

Thank you! If I could thank this a million times, I would!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Thank you! If I could thank this a million times, I would!

You just did. (-:

Most awesome story, I love the stories of immortals or buddhas not knowing that they are enlightened.

The ending is great both choices at the same time The great way.

One young monk told of an encounter in which Wu-ming asked him, "Can you tell me where my home is?" Confused as to the spirit of the question. The monk replied, "Is the home you speak of to be found in the relative world of time and place, or do you mean the Original Home of all pervading Buddha nature?"

After pausing a moment to consider the question, Wu-ming looked up and, grinning as only he is capable, said, "Yes."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rene said:

Here is the story of The Cucumber Sage; much can be learned from it.

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/C - Zen/Stories/The Cucumber Sage/The Cucumber Sage.htm

This story is wonderful - and a perfect example of how others mis-interpret what they observe.  Wu Ming, the unwitting Sage in this story, is one of my true heroes. 🥋

Enjoy!

How incredible!

What a great story!  Thanks for sharing.

It seems like this was surely the inspiration for that great Taoist film Being There. 

Peter Seller's portrayal of a taoist sage idiot in that is on another level.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

How incredible!

What a great story!  Thanks for sharing.

It seems like this was surely the inspiration for that great Taoist film Being There. 

Peter Seller's portrayal of a taoist sage idiot in that is on another level.

Loved that film! and yes, very much so!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marblehead said:

You didn't miss that opportunity, did you?

Guess not, lol. Who is to know what might spark someone out of 'either/or' thinking, heh. Seems I'm just a one-trick pony. 🐎🌲

• Like 2

"Allow him sixteen hours of sleep daily and provide him with lots of pickled cucumbers and Wu-Ming will always be happy. Expect nothing of him and you will be happy."

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing this.  The timing was perfect for me.  I had some questions on my mind about likes and dislikes.  The story answered some of those.  This is the kind of story that can stay in the mind and help various times in life.  Wu Ming is indeed a hero.

On another occasion a monk asked Wu-ming, "The Third Patriarch said, "The Great Way is without difficulty, just cease having preferences." How can you then delight in eating cucumbers, yet refuse to even take one bit of a carrot?" Wu-ming said, "I love cucumbers; I hate carrots!" The monk lurched back as though struck by a thunderbolt. Then laughing and sobbing and dancing about he exclaimed, "Liking cucumbers and hating carrots is without difficulty, just cease preferring the Great Way!"

"I love cucumbers; I hate carrots!" -- that says a whole lot!!!

Edited by s1va
spelling
  • Like 1