moment

Great Non-Self promoting Humble Teachers-any discipline: A Memorial

I had the privilege of meeting a great teacher in 1974 that was largely unknown.  His name was Dave Harris out of Seattle, Washington.

I was very young.  Because of extensive boxing, wrestling, submission wrestling, Aikido, Karate (starting when I was 11 years old) I found many of the so called blackbelts in town to be mediocre.  This made me a little full of myself. Then I met Dave Harris.  His art was Tai Chi but, he liked to call it chop suey.  My first sparring session at his home on 67th st. was a real eye opener as to what a true combat Tai Chi fighter at a very high level can do.  I was totally helpless with this guy.  Yet, he did it with amazing control, gentleness, kindness and openness.  His wife, Gerry, came home during this and told us not to mess the place up. I told her not to worry, Dave had everything under control. He charged very little, he was more interested in your character and dedication.  He did not self promote.  He had studied under some of the great masters: Tchoung, Tohei, Raymond Chung, Pang, Woodcock, and Zhang Jie.   Dave was very humble.  All he wanted to do was teach anyone who was truly interested. (He also was a highly dedicated art teacher at North Seattle C.C.).  Jesse Glover (of Bruce Lee fame) met Dave Harris when Jesse Glover was well known for his unique style of Sticking Hands.  Afterwards, Jesse called Sifu Harris The Greatest Master no one has heard of.  That is kind of the way Dave wanted it. 

The point I am getting to is: With all of these big name advertised masters all around, I would like to read about the tremendous teachers that have influenced your lives (in any discipline, martial or non-martial) and yet are largely unknown. A memorial of sorts.  I am waxing nostalgic, please humor me:)

• Like 13

Hey there moment.  Great idea for a thread honoring the quiet teachers!

I'll add Richard Huang from NYC.

Master Richard is a true Tortoise.  Observant.  Powerful (woof!)... Immovably grounded and yet effortlessly flowing by turns and always full of Humor.

I had the great fortune of meeting and studying with him for several years back in the 90's.  At first, it seemed he was teaching me to strengthen my body.  Looking back, Master Huang was much like you describe Master Harris, always nurturing character, not interested in expanding the school.  He never asked us to bring more students.  Never advertised.  And folks just looking to get tough and kick ass, never seemed to remain interested in the school, they just trailed off.

I recently saw him again just last month after a 17 years hiatus.  He hasn't aged a day.  True to his nature... that Tortoise is quietly wending his way through the wide world.  I envy his students and greatly appreciate the veils he helped lift from my filters.

Such a magnificent thing... these men and women who wind their way through our cities, quietly making such impact.

• Like 6

On 10/5/2017 at 1:30 PM, moment said:

I had the privilege of meeting a great teacher in 1974 that was largely unknown.  His name was Dave Harris out of Seattle, Washington.

I was very young.  Because of extensive boxing, wrestling, submission wrestling, Aikido, Karate (starting when I was 11 years old) I found many of the so called blackbelts in town to be mediocre.  This made me a little full of myself. Then I met Dave Harris.  His art was Tai Chi but, he liked to call it chop suey.  My first sparring session at his home on 67th st. was a real eye opener as to what a true combat Tai Chi fighter at a very high level can do.  I was totally helpless with this guy.  Yet, he did it with amazing control, gentleness, kindness and openness.  His wife, Gerry, came home during this and told us not to mess the place up. I told her not to worry, Dave had everything under control. He charged very little, he was more interested in your character and dedication.  He did not self promote.  He had studied under some of the great masters: Tchoung, Tohei, Raymond Chung, Pang, Woodcock, and Zhang Jie.   Dave was very humble.  All he wanted to do was teach anyone who was truly interested. (He also was a highly dedicated art teacher at North Seattle C.C.).  Jesse Glover (of Bruce Lee fame) met Dave Harris when Jesse Glover was well known for his unique style of Sticking Hands.  Afterwards, Jesse called Sifu Harris The Greatest Master no one has heard of.  That is kind of the way Dave wanted it. 

The point I am getting to is: With all of these big name advertised masters all around, I would like to read about the tremendous teachers that have influenced your lives (in any discipline, martial or non-martial) and yet are largely unknown. A memorial of sorts.  I am waxing nostalgic, please humor me:)

Nice, I was a student of Dave's, also of Tchoung Ta Tchen, Zang Jie, and Sid Woodcock.  I met Jesse once at a weekend mountain retreat and worked with him a bit too.  I wonder if you know that the original source of teachings for Dave, Jesse, and for Sid's Jedi abilities was my main teacher, Mr. Yueng, and although he was a powerful wizard and most advanced, he was humble, friendly, and the most hidden of the bunch, and he set the attitude example which they followed.  When Dave and Mr. Yueng played at push hands Mr. Yueng could control Dave with one arm while Dave was using both arms, and he could hit him at will, and Dave was one of the top martial artists in the world.  I don't know how much Dave learned from Sid, but they both taught together as equals until they had a falling out, which I described in some posts here earlier.  Sid demonstrated most of the powerful Jedi type abilities that I've seen and although Mr. Yueng was more powerful, he rarely demonstrated it.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, moment said:

Starjumper,

You have given me a gift.  Thank you.

You're welcome.  What kind of a gift did I give to you?

Old memories and young hopes.

Edited by moment
redundance
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 0:10 PM, moment said:

Old memories and young hopes.

Good.  I forgot to mention that Dave was Mr. Yueng's #1 adopted son.  Kung fu son.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1