Sign in to follow this  
oranssi

Why am I interested in designing games that unify sex and transcendence?

I dabble in programming and game design as a hobby. So now I'm making a game that uses explicit sex (not sugar coating it) as a way to convey a certain idea.

From my point of view, I feel like we live our daily lives separated. In simple terms, there is the observer and what is observed. In this elemental duality of the world that we perceive we try to more than understand what we see, to be that what we perceive, this being the ultimate form of understanding of reality. And for that to occur one has to somehow merge with reality (whatever that really means). To merge with everything, like in an orgy. Hence sexuality.

And why coming up with sex in this context? And not say tao, nirvana, ego death, samadhi or simply love? Because by saying everything is love, is to most probably fail the intended message. People relate to love as only a positive thing. Therefore a way to bias the message, missing the duality altogether. On the other hand, sex comes from our most primitive form, hardwired biology we should not ignore, coming from the very fountain of the infinitesimal. Because saying "I f*ck you", has at the same time a derogatory meaning as well as a nice meaning. Hence the unifying of the perceived duality.

By making a game where I present characters that are the forces of Nature anthropomorphized, I try to show this concept. Battling but making love, make love but battle. And from that struggle, the world we perceive comes to be.

• Like 1

Interesting concept. What about also having sort of a sex level that is so good, loving and intimate that the two become one together? Kind of like the two polarities merge into oneness.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oranssi said:

From my point of view, I feel like we live our daily lives separated. In simple terms, there is the observer and what is observed. In this elemental duality of the world that we perceive we try to more than understand what we see, to be that what we perceive, this being the ultimate form of understanding of reality. And for that to occur one has to somehow merge with reality (whatever that really means). To merge with everything, like in an orgy. Hence sexuality.

And why coming up with sex in this context?

Because sex is the most primal, yes, and during orgasm the view into the transcendent is more clear... effectively bringing together the experiences of what you describe as being separate.

Conception - is also the bringing together of the primal and the transcendent...merging into the 'spark of life'.

I hope you keep us updated on your attempts. Very interesting idea.

• Like 1

Sounds good, though hard to imagine the actual aspects of game play.  I like the creativity and dealing with fundamental forces that allow people to create there own story of what's actually happening, because creators can't really control what the end users think is going on. 

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

Interesting concept. What about also having sort of a sex level that is so good, loving and intimate that the two become one together? Kind of like the two polarities merge into oneness.

It is not easy to have that scene of love and tenderness to be recreated in visual arts or even using just the literary arts. I am not really talented in graphic illustration... but as of right now the game has a symbolism to "the two becoming one". It has to do more with the gameplay itself. There will be a level at the end, where the two characters by having sex, become more and more transparent until they disappear altogether, representing the eternal void of oneness.

Although the game will be a fighting game, there is no "Congratulation You Win" or a "Game Over You Lose". Because every action is in the end only a path (is in truth only the choosing of being the active sex partner or the passive sex partner) to the same final resolution, the merging of the duality (male and female aspects of the world we perceive) into the one eternal mistery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rene said:

Because sex is the most primal, yes, and during orgasm the view into the transcendent is more clear... effectively bringing together the experiences of what you describe as being separate.

Conception - is also the bringing together of the primal and the transcendent...merging into the 'spark of life'.

I hope you keep us updated on your attempts. Very interesting idea.

I might share a demo sometime when it isn't as buggy as it stands now :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

Sounds good, though hard to imagine the actual aspects of game play.  I like the creativity and dealing with fundamental forces that allow people to create there own story of what's actually happening, because creators can't really control what the end users think is going on. 

It is not easy to have an effective gameplay. So far there is no concrete storyline. It just follows a loose idea. "Nature spirits" join each other (sex is just a symbolism for this) to manifest the reality we perceive. For instance, a waterfall makes bubbles in the pond. Wind spirit and water spirit are having sex, hence the bubbles.

• Like 1

A roadblock that I stumbled upon is that I don't want to be associated with lewd games that are plenty and in various genres but none where my game could identify itself, as there is no niche of what I want to do.

3 hours ago, oranssi said:

It is not easy to have an effective gameplay. So far there is no concrete storyline. It just follows a loose idea. "Nature spirits" join each other (sex is just a symbolism for this) to manifest the reality we perceive. For instance, a waterfall makes bubbles in the pond. Wind spirit and water spirit are having sex, hence the bubbles.

If you ever want to share links to pictures, game theory or youtubes of sample play.. please do. 

I bet such a game would connect to many people here. 

<and you could have a sub-game on semen retention to increase its controversiality> kidding.. mostly.  inside joke

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thelerner said:

If you ever want to share links to pictures, game theory or youtubes of sample play.. please do. 

I bet such a game would connect to many people here. 

<and you could have a sub-game on semen retention to increase its controversiality> kidding.. mostly.  inside joke

I will share but never explicit material... Sometimes I just get too entangled with all the technical aspects of the characters mechanics in the gameplay, programming it and looking for bugs, that I just forget the poetry that I don't want the game to miss. So any feedback and advice on that would be awesome.

Edited by oranssi
  • Like 1

I have been working on my little game and remembered this discussion.

So if it is OK, I would like to share the game and if you happen to play it, please give me your feedback on the worldview I'm trying to convey with this game. Hope you like the idea somehow...

It is a simple fighting game but with some twists, which I got inspiration from my interpretations of the Dao.

In a nutshell, it is about spirits of the natural elements that merge with each other. The gameplay might be confusing for some so better to try the tutorial first. The spirits don't die, they just change states.

The game has explicit sex, so beware.

If anyone would like a download link I can send it through private message.

Edited by oranssi
violation of the terms of service

Sign in to follow this