I had a realization about a dozen years or so ago. I noticed that damage (physical, emotional, etc) was not caused by stressors per-se, but rather by our resistance to stressors. The example that sparked this realization was electricity traveling through a wire. The less the wire resists the greater its capacity for current. The more it resists, the less. And if the resistance is too great the wire gets hot and SNAP!

This simple observation rocked my world. For a few weeks after this I thought I had it all figured out. I was wrong, and eventually this knowledge slipped away and I forgot. Then recently I began reading Eckharte Tolle and he goes on and on about how we resist the Now, how we want the Now to be other than what it is, and how this is the source of all our pain.

I don't know if he's right. Maybe he is, maybe not. Maybe he's right within a certain context. Regardless, I thought this might be a great starting point for conversation.

• Like 2

If resistance relates to disciplining the body, speech and mind, gearing and guiding these 3 aspects with joyful effort towards the awareness and eradication of habits deemed detrimental to peace, contentment and other enlightening qualities, then it's not a negative implication, imo. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C T said:

If resistance relates to disciplining the body, speech and mind, gearing and guiding these 3 aspects with joyful effort towards the awareness and eradication of habits deemed detrimental to peace, contentment and other enlightening qualities, then it's not a negative implication, imo. 

Good point! Might this mean there are two forms of resistance: conscious and unconscious?

Conscious resistance is what you describe - intentional (and loving?) application of resistance with the desire to train or mold our body/mind/spirit towards a specific goal.

Unconscious resistance is reflexive. It applies itself indiscriminately against anything that threatens our homeostasis.

I was referring to the later, but obviously one must account for the former. Blanket statements are bad, no?

• Like 1

I believe unconscious resistance to be a direct result of conscious unawareness (ignorance) of simple habitual traits that can be observed and subsequently transmuted. Many such habits are conveniently allowed to fester under the 'reflexive' banner, and has been proven problematic for some people. 

• Like 2