Apech

Brain physiology and 'higher powers'

Hi,

I'm interested to learn anything anyone knows about the brain and the development of clairvoyance etc.  I'm looking at the meninges and especially the arachnoid mater.  Anyone with any knowledge of this???

meninges.jpg.86afb867d65af887418b245f95dfdd14.jpg

also looking at pituitary and pineal glands - any thoughts on this.

pituitary_pineal_glands.jpg.5fde75f438cd55db4a35d19bc322116d.jpg

Ta.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I don't think I have all that stuff.  Can it be ordered online?

I was going to say you are doing quite well without it ... but on second thoughts .... :)

Edited by Apech
  • Like 3

There are quite a few cultures that have given the pineal gland a front position in their spiritual systems. 

Including catholicism. 

So a search on the pineal will give you biomagnetite and light sensitive cells, among other things. 

Edited by Mudfoot
  • Like 2

Yes. 

If I was inside I could post the link, but there is a Vatican coat-if-arms with two Keys and a pine cone looking hat (right and left side channels up to the niwan),  a giant pine cone statue outside somewhere in the Vatican, and the Pope have a staff with a pinecone on. 

Thirdeyepinecones.com 

Edited by Mudfoot
Added sentence
  • Like 2

Mind you, conspiracy theorists never dig too deep...

The colossal bronze pine cone was cast in the 1st or 2nd century by Publius Cincius Salvius who left his name on the base. This was way before the Catholic Church was given the property upon which Vatican City sits. 

It was a former Roman fountain.

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/41034/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-large-statue-of-a-pine-cone-in-vatican-city/41035#41035

The popes staff (papal ferula) is a rod with a knob on top surmounted by a cross. Looking at a number of them it can be seen that though the knob in the one pictured bears some small resemblance to a pinecone, throughout history the knob actually differs according to the artist who casts the ferula. See images here.

As to the pine cone looking hat, it is a Papal tiara, a jewelled three-tiered crown used at papal coronations from 1305 through 1963. see images here.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Apech said:

I'm interested to learn anything anyone knows about the brain and the development of clairvoyance etc.  I'm looking at the meninges and especially the arachnoid mater.  Anyone with any knowledge of this???

sorry, no knowledge here.

but the pic of the layers of fluid that envelop our brain gave a prompt association with this picture

Gerelateerde afbeelding

I gather from your pic that the thought is that only the subarachnoid space is filled with fluid?/

is that so? or all three spaces capable of transporting fluids? and if so, is that what happens when one ' evolves" and those nadi's come alive?

this layer/these layers of fluid must be fantastic roads for ' chi' ( or whatever)

Probably in the literature you can find what sort of siddhi's correspond with these three layers, looks like vajra nadi will correspond with the subdural space

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blue eyed snake said:

but the pic of the layers of fluid that envelop our brain gave a prompt association with this picture

I gather from your pic that the thought is that only the subarachnoid space is filled with fluid?/

is that so? or all three spaces capable of transporting fluids? and if so, is that what happens when one ' evolves" and those nadi's come alive?

this layer/these layers of fluid must be fantastic roads for ' chi' ( or whatever)

Probably in the literature you can find what sort of siddhi's correspond with these three layers, looks like vajra nadi will correspond with the subdural space

The cerebrospinal fluid is pumped into the brain -  scroll down to gif on the right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebrospinal_fluid

I am thinking there is a connection between lymph, chyle and cerebrospinal fluid.  So you have two systems circulating in the body - blood and plasmas (?).  Maybe this links to ida and pingala ????

4582264332_525x503.jpg.ac71025e3c907bddcab8951bb03e8e6e.jpg

Edited by Apech
  • Like 4

Abstract

Meditation research has begun to clarify the brain effects and mechanisms of contemplative practices while generating a range of typologies and explanatory models to guide further study. This comparative review explores a neglected area relevant to current research: the validity of a traditional central nervous system (CNS) model that coevolved with the practices most studied today and that provides the first comprehensive neural-based typology and mechanistic framework of contemplative practices. The subtle body model, popularly known as the chakra system from Indian yoga, was and is used as a map of CNS function in traditional Indian and Tibetan medicine, neuropsychiatry, and neuropsychology. The study presented here, based on the Nalanda tradition, shows that the subtle body model can be cross-referenced with modern CNS maps and challenges modern brain maps with its embodied network model of CNS function. It also challenges meditation research by: (1) presenting a more rigorous, neural-based typology of contemplative practices; (2) offering a more refined and complete network model of the mechanisms of contemplative practices; and (3) serving as an embodied, interoceptive neurofeedback aid that is more user friendly and complete than current teaching aids for clinical and practical applications of contemplative practice.

Above is the abstract of an article (below) by Joe Loizzo which makes interesting reading in relation to this topic. Loizzo is the founder/director of Nalanda Institute for Contemplative Science.

The Subtle Body: An interoceptive map of central nervous system function and meditative mind-brain-body integration

Loizzo is quite accessible by writing to him via the Nalanda web page.

Sometimes he replies quickly, other times might take longer. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 4

Well, while I hesitate to mention his name :D, Mantak Chia has some interesting stuff about chi, the pineal, pituitary and hypothalamus glands, cerebrospinal fluid, as well as how to activate them. The book, Craniosacral Chi Kung looks interesting. And at least the co-author is a craniosacral therapist, lol.... Some interesting hints about where the book goes here:

https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/pineal-gland-activation-third-eye/

Then there's JAJ's books on Daoist alchemy, where he describes the nine chambers of the brain and how to activate them....unfortunatley a very long and involved process... and the chambers he describes are more energy centers than the actual physical glands...

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Apech said:

The cerebrospinal fluid is pumped into the brain -  scroll down to gif on the right:

yes, I knew that, I had forgotten that  there are actually three layers of  'mater' 

I like this image, because you can see the rhytmical movement

NPH_MRI_272_GILD.gif

I am thinking there is a connection between lymph, chyle and cerebrospinal fluid.  So you have two systems circulating in the body - blood and plasmas (?).  Maybe this links to ida and pingala ????

that's what comes up with me, blood is moving rhythmically, lymph i'm not sure, but I think it does too.

breath, blood, cerebrospinal  are rhythm thingies.

concerning lymph, I'm not sure, 

but now I wonder, back when I was still able to train, the lower dantien woke up, first warm, then hot and then it started to bump. Like a ball bouncing in my belly. teacher told me next phase would be that it would start to turn/circulate.

But then I became ill and lost all those things. But I did wonder what  made that peculiar feeling in my belly.

Now I think, there are a lot of lymfe-nodes down there, when they do pulse/ have rhythm. and by training become more active their heightened movement may be the source of that jumpy feeling.

and I like your inclusion of chyle, never thought of it, this is what wiki says

Chyle (/kl/; from the Greek word χυλός chylos, "juice"[1]) is a milky bodily fluid consisting of lymph and emulsified fats, or free fatty acids (FFAs). It is formed in the small intestine during digestion of fatty foods, and taken up by lymph vessels specifically known as lacteals. The lipids in the chyle are colloidally suspended in chylomicrons.

this I found concerning lyph and cerebrospinal connection,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC546409/

there's more though, ineresting stuff. Thanks for bringing this topic up.

I've no idea about ida and pingala , I'm not aware of them, can't feel them. have no idea about the hinduistic meaning of them.

I thought they were to do with breath??

• Like 3

19 hours ago, C T said:

The Subtle Body: An interoceptive map of central nervous system function and meditative mind-brain-body integration

now I wish that I could read that...but one has to pay for the whole article.

How I miss working at a university...

36 minutes ago, blue eyed snake said:

yes, I knew that, I had forgotten that  there are actually three layers of  'mater' 

I like this image, because you can see the rhytmical movement

NPH_MRI_272_GILD.gif

that's what comes up with me, blood is moving rhythmically, lymph i'm not sure, but I think it does too.

breath, blood, cerebrospinal  are rhythm thingies.

concerning lymph, I'm not sure, 

but now I wonder, back when I was still able to train, the lower dantien woke up, first warm, then hot and then it started to bump. Like a ball bouncing in my belly. teacher told me next phase would be that it would start to turn/circulate.

But then I became ill and lost all those things. But I did wonder what  made that peculiar feeling in my belly.

Now I think, there are a lot of lymfe-nodes down there, when they do pulse/ have rhythm. and by training become more active their heightened movement may be the source of that jumpy feeling.

and I like your inclusion of chyle, never thought of it, this is what wiki says

this I found concerning lyph and cerebrospinal connection,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC546409/

there's more though, ineresting stuff. Thanks for bringing this topic up.

I've no idea about ida and pingala , I'm not aware of them, can't feel them. have no idea about the hinduistic meaning of them.

I thought they were to do with breath??

The lymph moves by muscle movement and not a pulse - but the cerebro-spinal fluid does drain into that system.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Apech said:

The lymph moves by muscle movement and not a pulse - but the cerebro-spinal fluid does drain into that system.

thanks,

as I said, no knowledge, just some associations here.

but i still wonder what created that bumpy feeling...

1 hour ago, blue eyed snake said:

now I wish that I could read that...but one has to pay for the whole article.

How I miss working at a university...

Its available on Scribd, and they offer a free 30 day trial if you're really interested in it. Or you could try requesting it from Nalanda Institute. They might turn out to be quite accommodating (or not). 

• Like 1

The bridal chamber

The term ‘thalamus’ (from the Greek thalamos: a chamber) was used by Galen in De Usu Partium by way of comparing the human brain with the ground plan of a Greek house, with the bridal chamber at its heart – emphasizing the central role and location of the twinned bulb-shaped structures that form at the top of the brainstem on either side of the third ventricle [1]. The thalamic complex is located in the diencephalic (posterior) part of the forebrain and includes the prethalamus and thalamus (formerly known as ventral thalamus and dorsal thalamus, respectively). This complex is the major sensory relay station of the brain, receiving all [sensory] inputs (except olfaction) and connecting reciprocally with the overlying cortex; therefore, in a more philosophical way, the thalamus has been described as ‘the gateway to consciousness’ [2].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2954313/

The thalamus has developed in layers directly associated with the evolutionary development of layers of the brain, further development of human consciousness along the lines of increased processing of psychic level material may be related to further evolutionary development of the thalamus. 

9e203099ea57a7b69ff220e3af4a9bcc.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Apech said:

There is a pulse that is palpable and not synchronized with heart rate in cranio-sacral therapy. I don't remember theory very well, but found a link

https://craniobalance.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/the-cranial-wavestouching-the-pulse-of-the-soul/

• Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 10:18 PM, C T said:

Abstract

Meditation research has begun to clarify the brain effects and mechanisms of contemplative practices while generating a range of typologies and explanatory models to guide further study. This comparative review explores a neglected area relevant to current research: the validity of a traditional central nervous system (CNS) model that coevolved with the practices most studied today and that provides the first comprehensive neural-based typology and mechanistic framework of contemplative practices. The subtle body model, popularly known as the chakra system from Indian yoga, was and is used as a map of CNS function in traditional Indian and Tibetan medicine, neuropsychiatry, and neuropsychology. The study presented here, based on the Nalanda tradition, shows that the subtle body model can be cross-referenced with modern CNS maps and challenges modern brain maps with its embodied network model of CNS function. It also challenges meditation research by: (1) presenting a more rigorous, neural-based typology of contemplative practices; (2) offering a more refined and complete network model of the mechanisms of contemplative practices; and (3) serving as an embodied, interoceptive neurofeedback aid that is more user friendly and complete than current teaching aids for clinical and practical applications of contemplative practice.

Above is the abstract of an article (below) by Joe Loizzo which makes interesting reading in relation to this topic. Loizzo is the founder/director of Nalanda Institute for Contemplative Science.

Loizzo is quite accessible by writing to him via the Nalanda web page.

Sometimes he replies quickly, other times might take longer. 

some friendly bum has been searching on the web and sent me this link to a pdf, it comes up for free

http://www.nalandainstitute.org/pdfs/articles/Loizzo-2016-Annals_of_the_New_York_Academy_of_Sciences.pdf

read and enjoy

• Like 3

In cranioscaral work, great attention and detail is paid to the cerebrospinal fluid and the ventricles of the brain. The cavities of the brain that are mostly empty aside from fluid are said to be seats of consciousness. I wish I could remember more but CS is something that takes a lot of dedicated time and effort to grasp and I'm not there yet. I just remember a practitioner telling me about this.

• Like 2

To the original post - 

As ones attention is settled in the center of the head and breathing is given attention the breathing does a curious thing:

In conjunction with the attention being in the center of the head conscious breathing stimulates the optic nerves and all the way back to the ear channels. You can feel this if you pay attention to it - a certain cooling of the eye channels and back to the sides of the head. This combined action directs energies on a subtle level to this entire region.

Breathing is always stimulating these areas but in the case of attentiveness whether during meditation or as a hunter with heightened quiet attentiveness - this action tends to open clairvoyant abilities and other subtle abilities. 

On a very subtle level as this combined action action takes place the areas above the inner top of the roof of the mouth and back slightly to the soft roof relaxes energetically and "expands" slightly in a sort of dipping small cavern feeling. This stimulates the entire nose and bone structure- the bridge of the nose may become particularly noticeable.

As the third eye begins to activate more, the channel leading from it to the center of the head and back toward the Knob at the back of the head begin to energize - in latter stages the crown sprouting upward may be felt. Generally far prior to this the large energetic channels downward will begin to be felt and the heart-throat connection will emerge.

All of the liquids in the head become engaged in this energetic mix as does the heart and the various resonance that it brings to the table. The whole of the chakra network and the whole of the bodies enjoin in this as well particularly if the meditation is of a greater duration and not a trance meditation. In a trance meditation this all occurs but to much less a degree and the effects may not spread much beyond the head area - this very much depends on the trance - but is notable in light trance / non-embodiment meditation wherein all of the effects even in the head happen to a much lesser degree.

The side channels behind the ears may also become apparent though they may not be felt for some time. Conscious breathing galvanizes energetic patterns some of which may have been fairly dormant. We all have clairvoyance and we all use it all the time - this is true for most subtle abilities. Everybody has more or less of the many many subtle abilities and generally we subjugate them rather than participate openly with them - this subjugation is done with diet and dissipation and unskillful means.

Consciously being in the center of the head and aware of ones breath immediately sets up a resonance of harmonious activity throughout the bodies. This in turn creates fertile ground for further expansion of ones subtle bodies and subtle abilities - which in turn can lead to abilities and energetic levels that are far beyond words - levels that render the physical body "a subtle body" by comparison to what become the more visceral and significant energetic bodies

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 9:34 AM, blue eyed snake said:

Gerelateerde afbeelding

This is a very accurate depiction of the head region - the vajra nadi is rarely depicted as coming down so far but this is very accurate in all aspects.

Edited by Spotless