CloudHands

China spy cam

Bureaucrats love information.. reports and projections.  Thing is, it quickly becomes information overload and 170 million cameras capturing billions of hours of millions of images computed stored and pretty much winds up in the trash.  Anything usable made into a needle in mile high haystack. 

• Like 2

This kind of surveillance exists not only in China, but in Western countries as well.

Yes, information overload makes it more difficult to retrieve anything useful, however, increasing computer power fascilitates this.

It is too bad that the people in charge don't understand that what is revealed should be well balanced by what remains in the dark. Not even in the motherland of Daoism.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

Bureaucrats love information.. reports and projections.  Thing is, it quickly becomes information overload and 170 million cameras capturing billions of hours of millions of images computed stored and pretty much winds up in the trash.  Anything usable made into a needle in mile high haystack. 

Yea sadly, a lot of surveillance cams are more for deterring crime, than actually solving them...

Only about half of the violent crimes and a third of the property crimes that occur in the United States each year are reported to police. And most of the crimes that are reported don’t result in the arrest, charging and prosecution of a suspect, according to government statistics.

In 2015, the most recent year for which data are available, 47% of the violent crimes and 35% of the property crimes tracked by the Bureau of Justice Statistics were reported to police.

Even when violent and property crimes are reported to police, they’re often not solved – at least based on a measure known as the clearance rate. That’s the share of cases each year that are closed, or “cleared,” through the arrest, charging and referral of a suspect for prosecution. In 2015, 46% of the violent crimes and 19% of the property crimes reported to police in the U.S. were cleared

So basically, only about 22% of violent crimes and 7% of property crimes in the US are ever solved!

Because even with surveillance cams, the resolution is often too low to read license plates, or trying to ID the photo of a suspect can be like trying to find a needle in a haystack of over 300 million people now.  So sure, some footage always helps...but it's farrrr from "case closed," lmao...

I mean, just look at some of the footage in the OP's video.  You have tiny figures onscreen "identified" with tags like, "Male, Adult, ShortSleeve, Shorts."  Well gee, I guess you can narrow that target down to 1 of 650,000,000 males in China now, lol?

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

In Taiwan they use cameras a lot.

Speed on a free way, a ticket is mailed to your house.

Rob a store,  besides the stores own camera there are likely a couple of more watching.

Seems to work.  Often when people are caught there is film also shown of them doing the deed. 

Most people driving have dash cams to record accidents intentional or not.  

Speaking of cameras, I'm thinking of installing a security camera or two in my house.  The latest connect to the internet, night vision, have motion detectors, 2 way speakers, and loud alarms.  Some even have face detection.  It's tempting to buy 2 ($400 high but no monthly fee) for home security, have them text me when tripped and I'm out.

The one I'm looking at can hook up to Amazon Echo units and with ITTT (If This Then That programming) if you bought compatible lights, you could have tripped motion set off a 'red alert' with flashing lights and Danger Danger playing on the Echo unit. 

Or set it to volume 10 and blast the Stones 'You Can't Always Get What you Want..'

• Like 1

On 29/09/2017 at 4:06 AM, gendao said:

I mean, just look at some of the footage in the OP's video.  You have tiny figures onscreen "identified" with tags like, "Male, Adult, ShortSleeve, Shorts."  Well gee, I guess you can narrow that target down to 1 of 650,000,000 males in China now, lol?

That's it. They say their software is correct at a rate of 9,999% in facial recognition.

Edited by CloudHands

8 hours ago, thelerner said:

Speaking of cameras, I'm thinking of installing a security camera or two in my house.  The latest connect to the internet, night vision, have motion detectors, 2 way speakers, and loud alarms.  Some even have face detection.  It's tempting to buy 2 ($400 high but no monthly fee) for home security, have them text me when tripped and I'm out.

The one I'm looking at can hook up to Amazon Echo units and with ITTT (If This Then That programming) if you bought compatible lights, you could have tripped motion set off a 'red alert' with flashing lights and Danger Danger playing on the Echo unit. 

Or set it to volume 10 and blast the Stones 'You Can't Always Get What you Want..'

Hi, have you been rob recently ?

On 29/09/2017 at 4:06 AM, gendao said:

Yea sadly, a lot of surveillance cams are more for deterring crime, than actually solving them...

So basically, only about 22% of violent crimes and 7% of property crimes in the US are ever solved!

Because even with surveillance cams, the resolution is often too low to read license plates, or trying to ID the photo of a suspect can be like trying to find a needle in a haystack of over 300 million people now.  So sure, some footage always helps...but it's farrrr from "case closed," lmao...

Most crime in US are committed by gang members on gang members I guess nobody cares. About property crime I'm very surprised... what's the police doing ???