Hello, I've been practicing Tai Chi, etc. for many years, I just discovered this forum.
I teach Tai Chi as a self defense discipline, with the focus on leading with the dantien and proper breathing.
Nobody seems to teach this traditional method any more, just "go like this and look pretty in the park".

• Like 7

Also from NYC! ^_^

I do Taichi on the rooftops, just kinda polluted in the city

• Like 1

Welcome to the Bums.

I lived in Brooklyn back in the 90's... Park Slope, back before it gentrified.  Met my second Kung Fu teacher there.

Never been drawn to Tai Chi, but I played a lot of Shao Lin Five Animal, Aikido and Jeet Kun Do in Prospect Park.  Couldn't effectively practice in my apartment, so I was in the park a lot.

I remember Master Richard regularly reminding us to practice indoors on foggy days, due to the pollution.

Back then, I never encountered anyone else playing Qi Gong, Tai Chi, or Kung Fu in the park.

It's quite different now, here in So Cal.  Every morning in our small local park there will be a dozen folks playing Qi Gong as the sun rises.  And then in each park as we head to school to drop my son, there will be folks gathering Qi among the trees.  Always makes me smile to see the people gathering power and health.

• Like 1