Sign in to follow this  
Lost in Translation

Stating the Obvious

Here's a little fun for Monday morning...

Stating the Obvious

We often hear the words “my body”. For example: “My body is fat”, or “I hate my body!”.

Well, think about that? “My” body. Body is a possession, is it not? Hence the “my”. If that is so then who is the possessor?

But it gets worse. We also hear “my mind”. For example: “My mind is sharp”, or “his mind is dull”, or “she has a good mind”. Also possessive. Also a possession. Who is the possessor?

There’s more! We hear such phrases as “I want to save my soul”. Or we hear “he lost his soul to sin”. Is that right? “my” soul. “his” soul? Is soul also a possession? 

Who is the possessor?

Who is the possessor?

• Like 2

Yeah, we have fun talking about what's mine and what's yours, don't we?

Possession is nice.  We have something.  That's makes us more important than those who have nothing.

(I speak of "I". "me", and "my" often.  But then, is it really mine?  Am I the possessor or just one who is possessed for a little while?)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Here's a little fun for Monday morning...

Stating the Obvious

We often hear the words “my body”. For example: “My body is fat”, or “I hate my body!”.

Well, think about that? “My” body. Body is a possession, is it not? Hence the “my”. If that is so then who is the possessor?

But it gets worse. We also hear “my mind”. For example: “My mind is sharp”, or “his mind is dull”, or “she has a good mind”. Also possessive. Also a possession. Who is the possessor?

There’s more! We hear such phrases as “I want to save my soul”. Or we hear “he lost his soul to sin”. Is that right? “my” soul. “his” soul? Is soul also a possession? 

Who is the possessor?

Who is the possessor?

Its a collective concept  .... like  'hive'   but we get used to living under some idea of one single identity . Probably safer for most Peeps out there . 

Body is 'your'  ( ;)   )  tool  , on the physical 'Earth' plane .

Mind is 'your tool'   on the  intellectual  'air'   plane

Most westerners associate self : mind     but mind is a tool , it is not supposed to be running the show .

I call it spirit ... not in a spiritual sense though :)   Spirit is your essential nature or your 'propensities' that you born with.  Spirit, or individuality  is accessed via fire element as it comes into the 'psychic anatomy' .   Fire is also associated with 'imagination'  (and of course this has a much deeper and significant meaning than is usually given it, I see it as 'soul' )

Image result for the philosopers secret fire

What constitutes this 'elusive possessor ' is complex and not just one thing .

" Swedenborg describes all of life as a hierarchy of beings representing essentially different orders and yet acting in correspondence with each other. The Lord acts through celestial angels, who in turn correspond on a lower level to spiritual angels, who in turn correspond to a third lower heaven-all of which corresponds to and acts into man. On the opposite side there are three levels of hell acting out of direct contact into man. Man is the free space and meeting ground of these great hierarchies. "

This is disturbing to most , even Swedenborg said it was dangerous for the average person *

For further info on this  and  how  the 'possessor' is put together and can also 'fall apart'  (and  for those who like 'danger'  ;) ;  )

http://www.theisticpsychology.org/books/w.vandusen/presence_spirits.htm

*  there are two schools of thought on this ;

1. Do not disrupt  the set up by revealing knowledge of it .. most people work fine under the illusion of  'one self that is somehow them'  ....   we are getting on okay without it .  ( But are we ?  Really ?  'We' don't seem to have a good track record since the development of agriculture ! )

2,  Knowledge is power - to be fore warned is to be forearmed  , so some schools and teachers taught it , like 'surprisingly; Steiner .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Possession is nice.  We have something.  That's makes us more important than those who have nothing.

(I speak of "I". "me", and "my" often.  But then, is it really mine?  Am I the possessor or just one who is possessed for a little while?)

Beautiful ! 

In light of what I just wrote and the article I linked to .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Marbles, ya gotta watch this ! 

- I couldn't find a clip but it is in the 'Man friday' movie  ( Friday's version of the Robinson Crusoe movie )

Chapter ; 'In which Master teaches me the importance of 'mine' and 'yours' .

Starts with Friday wearing Masters hat ... that's my hat !    " What is this    'mine '   word  ?"

Crusoe tries to explain but gets tangled . Friday , ' No , it fits my head very well , "  etc .

Eventually Master lies that it is  a magic hat  with a spell on it    ( the spell of 'mine ' ) and it will hurt Friday if he wears it .... just like masters gun that only he must touch , that can hurt Friday ! ... but it will hurt Friday if he tries to use it on master .

When Fridays tribe hears the story the  invent a crazy game called 'yours and mine' and running around claiming coconuts and rocks and things as exclusively their own or allocating them to certain people and forbidding others to touch them and are rolling around laughing at it .   (one  young hot head starts to like it as a good idea, but the tribal 'doctor' decides he has caught 'Master sickness' and directs a young woman to take him off to the bushes to cure it  - he soon forgets his argument   :D  )

Anyway, have a watch . 

Cant find a clip of 'yours and mine'   but here is one of Friday learning about   "  Education "  .

• Like 1

Yeah, but without the concept of "mine; yours" we all would still be living in grass/mud huts.

There are still some of those societies living in the Amazon Rain Forest as well as other places.

I won't argue right/wrong here but I rather enjoy driving my Tundra to Walmart to do my shopping.  Down there not only do they not have a Tundra, they don't have a Walmart either.  Or a road to drive on.

So without the concept of "mine/yours" no one would have anything because those who create something would have it taken away from them and those who do the taking are too lazy to create something of their own.

• Like 1

yep, mind is a big one,  for one comes to find out that it is not their mind (as it seems)  but THE mind...  so who or what finds that out is a major step that blows our minds ! (lol kind of)

mind and all that it is (like memories) will never fully satisfy and never be enough,  thus we go on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I won't argue right/wrong here but I rather enjoy driving my Tundra to Walmart to do my shopping.  Down there not only do they not have a Tundra, they don't have a Walmart either.  Or a road to drive on.

Beautiful!

Body/Mind/Spirit all work together. They exist for a reason. They serve a purpose. How could they not? Possessor wants to go shopping and needs a Store/Car/Road to do so! :)

• Like 2

It's an endless loop! Is the flame possessed by the log that it consumes as fuel, and vice versa? I'd like to think of these possessive forms in the language as meaning "attributed to," rather than "owned by."

Now.. where is the possessor? And When? Did your mind know your soul before your body was born?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, but without the concept of "mine; yours" we all would still be living in grass/mud huts.

'Our'  grass/mud  huts   :) 

I think 'your and mine' started long before that .

There are still some of those societies living in the Amazon Rain Forest as well as other places.

Its still a big thing with some Aboriginal groups here.  Mate went  to Sydney, did a heap of paintings made a scad of money, called in on way home with a nice new car and heaps of cash . I asked him what he was going to do with it   "Take it home " . I know what that means . Next I saw him - no car . "Where is the car ."  "Ooooo ....  <thinks>   cuz took it to N.T. ... I think ... he got some business up there . "

Used to cause trouble back at beginning of white settlement ,   peeps would just take and walk off with stuff .  In my experience, when I went and stayed with them, everything they seemed to be mine as well .

Except  'special magic stuff '     !     Nope .... no one except 'those with permission'    touch it ! 

Not even you .... lugout !  stayback ! 

Image result for Australian aboriginal ceremonial objects

(Don't 'own it'  .... I just ' lookin after it'    ..... and that's how they lost their land  .... that they didn't 'own'  .  ) 

So without the concept of "mine/yours" no one would have anything because those who create something would have it taken away from them and those who do the taking are too lazy to create something of their own.

Hmmm ....  is a 'Tundra' hard to break into and start  ?        

;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nungali said:

'Our'  grass/mud  huts   :) 

Only if you have a lovely looking wife will things be "ours".

I think 'your and mine' started long before that .

Likely did.

Its still a big thing with some Aboriginal groups here.  Mate went  to Sydney, did a heap of paintings made a scad of money, called in on way home with a nice new car and heaps of cash . I asked him what he was going to do with it   "Take it home " . I know what that means . Next I saw him - no car . "Where is the car ."  "Ooooo ....  <thinks>   cuz took it to N.T. ... I think ... he got some business up there . "

Used to cause trouble back at beginning of white settlement ,   peeps would just take and walk off with stuff .  In my experience, when I went and stayed with them, everything they seemed to be mine as well .

Except  'special magic stuff '     !     Nope .... no one except 'those with permission'    touch it ! 

Not even you .... lugout !  stayback ! 

Image result for Australian aboriginal ceremonial objects

Yeah, admit it or not there are still "special" things others are not allowed to touch.

(Don't 'own it'  .... I just ' lookin after it'    ..... and that's how they lost their land  .... that they didn't 'own'  .

Same thing in North America.  The Europeans just walked in and took what they wanted.  Of course, Some got syphilis and took that back to Europe.

Hmmm ....  is a 'Tundra' hard to break into and start  ?        

;) 

I don't know. I have never tried to break into it.

9 hours ago, Nintendao said:

It's an endless loop! Is the flame possessed by the log that it consumes as fuel, and vice versa? I'd like to think of these possessive forms in the language as meaning "attributed to," rather than "owned by."

Now.. where is the possessor? And When? Did your mind know your soul before your body was born?

It took near 55 years for my mind to even understand what the human soul really is .

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

It took near 55 years for my mind to even understand what the human soul really is .

And now you understand?

20 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Only if you have a lovely looking wife will things be "ours".

Well, not 'owning 'my wife, that is entirely her decision !

(see how it works now  ;)  )

Likely did.

Yeah, admit it or not there are still "special" things others are not allowed to touch.

That's what I taught the little guy ! 

Same thing in North America.  The Europeans just walked in and took what they wanted.  Of course, Some got syphilis and took that back to Europe.

I don't know. I have never tried to break into it.

I'll let you know  .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

And now you understand?

yes ... finally .

It was like the reverse of this

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

yes ... finally .

It was like the reverse of this

Lol!

this video was funny.