Sign in to follow this  
aapclark9

Proper Meditation Practices

Hello all,

I am requesting information on proper mediation practices. I have seen in a post here that there are warnings against Mantak Chia's methods. If anyone can share with me what those specific concerns are with his work that would be greatly appreciated. I have read Healing LIght of the Tao. However, since reading Tao and Longevity Mind Body Transformation Huai-Chin Nan. My take on Mantak Chia's work is that he puts far too much emphasis on mentally circulating chi through from the LDT up the Governor channel (Tui Mai) and from there mentally sending it down the Functional chanel (Jen Mai).

From my understanding of Tao and Longevity, I have gathered that what is most important cultivating stillness of mind and feeling and cultivating virtues. It is through these practices that the channels will open naturally. And in fact placing too much mental focus on the LDT area or "breathing chi into organs" can actually be harmful. I have been practicing lower abdominal breathing for about 7 years. I am familiar with stillness meditations and have been practicing off and on also for 7 years. The past week I have been practicing stillness. There will be long spaces between thoughts and a very open still clear state that is cultivated. 

However, my partner notices that when I am cultivating stillness of thought and feeling she perceives it as I am "cold" or "dead like" when normally she feels me very warm. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you all,

Aaron

• Like 6

5 hours ago, aapclark9 said:

However, my partner notices that when I am cultivating stillness of thought and feeling she perceives it as I am "cold" or "dead like" when normally she feels me very warm. Does anyone have any insight on this?

That will happen during empty-minded meditation.  And really, that's the way it is supposed to be.  Dead ashes.

It's really about clearing our mind of biases, prejudices, and other crap.

• Like 4

Thank you Marblehead. I have explained it as the clearing away of attatchments. I am finding my "Golden Mean" of maintaining a healthy relationship and a balanced lifestyle while also cultivating emptiness. Everything always finds it's proper harmony.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2017 at 2:36 PM, aapclark9 said:

From my understanding of Tao and Longevity, I have gathered that what is most important cultivating stillness of mind and feeling and cultivating virtues. It is through these practices that the channels will open naturally. And in fact placing too much mental focus on the LDT area or "breathing chi into organs" can actually be harmful. I have been practicing lower abdominal breathing for about 7 years. I am familiar with stillness meditations and have been practicing off and on also for 7 years. The past week I have been practicing stillness. There will be long spaces between thoughts and a very open still clear state that is cultivated. 

Thank you all,

Aaron

Hi Aaron! I have to admit, I actually felt the same way as your partner, when I was in a relationship with someone who was doing qigong and golden flower meditation. What helped me understand him better was when we did the meditation together. :-) If your partner is open, why not share the practice with her?

• Like 2

Aaron,

Try non-meditation: no effort, no technique.

Just sit there. Don't try not to think. Just BE. Just be at peace. Let thoughts come and go on their own.

Be like an animal. They don't use effort, but they're in a meditative state.

It's like when you're driving your car, or laying in bed. Just let your mind be natural, be itself.

• Like 6

I believe that practicing deferential thought is an integral aspect of practicing stillness of thought.  The goal, as I understand it, is not to be placid or crystalline, but to be accommodating of the world around you, as a vessel would be of water.  With that in mind, do you think it is possible that your partner finds you cold because you may be focusing on maintaining your stillness?

I would try allowing your mind to react as naturally as possible to any engagement, in the spirit of robbing your thoughts of the primacy they seek in being acknowledged as interrupted.  I am far less experienced than OP in this arena, though, so I apologize if I am stating or misconstruing the obvious.

Internal Martial Arts + Breathing awareness meditation, eg. Vipassana. 

Both require a live teacher which is the best way of learning.

Good luck :)

Edited by Gerard

Sign in to follow this