Sign in to follow this  
Ezechiel

Hello, I am a seeker of exalted knowledge and chaos magic

Hello, Ezechiel and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Ezechiel,

Well, I'm glad I was able to approve your membership request.  I have no exalted knowledge and I don't do magic so I guess you will have to talk with other members here.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Hi Ezechiel,

Well, I'm glad I was able to approve your membership request.  I have no exalted knowledge and I don't do magic so I guess you will have to talk with other members here.

I would say that depends on the definition of "exalted knowledge" - and you do understand chaos, you old Anarchist. :D

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

I would say that depends on the definition of "exalted knowledge"

Hi Mike,

My friend at Thesaurus has advised thus:

Exalted = high, lofty, glorious, dignified, illustrious, noble, grand, high-ranking …

Take your pick.

58 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

You do understand chaos ...

Of course Marblehead understands chaos. He is chaotic ...

- LimA

• Like 2

Welcome!

Food for thought.

If you need chaos to fuel your magic ...there is a wealth of it available.

• Like 2

Welcome to TDB. There are a couple coyotes lurking around here. A thread that talks a bit about Chaos magick. Cheers and enjoy the forum. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WayofChi said:

There are a couple coyotes lurking around here.

Hi WayofChi,

Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.

- Hamlin Garland 

(Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/hamlingarl127667.html?src=t_coyote)

A peaceful weekend.

- LimA

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thelerner said:

Out of curiosity, What is considered Chaos magic? 

I could tell you but you know how that goes.

24 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

All that effort and no girl.

Good morning Dada-da,

It's a 'she'. Waiting for you?

31 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I've known those situations

You mean you had waited for such females?

20 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I could tell you but you know how that goes.

I don't know. So please tell quick. I don't like to wait - be it for humans or coyotes.

- LimA

9 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Good morning Dada-da,

It's a 'she'. Waiting for you?

If you say so.  I didn't lift its tail to find out.

You mean you had waited for such females?

Not coyotes, no.  But women.  That was a long time ago though.

I don't know. So please tell quick. I don't like to wait - be it for humans or coyotes.

- LimA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism

This is only the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

This is only the beginning.

Hi Dada-da,

But of course. Please be on course. Don't be chaotic.

- LimA

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 6:07 PM, Marblehead said:

First step is to recognize and acknowledge that chaos is prime.

Hi Dada-da,

The Tao of Chaos

Paul Schumann

“Tao is a concept found in Taoism, Confucianism, and more generally in ancient Chinese philosophy...., it is used philosophically to signify the fundamental or true nature of the world. The concept of Tao differs from Western ontology, however; it is an active and holistic conception of the world, rather than a static, atomistic one.” - Wikipedia

Katya Walter has written an interesting and insightful book linking the concepts of chaos to the double helix of genetics to the I Ching of ancient Chinese culture. Along the way she provides some of the best explanations of chaos and fractals I've read.

She begins her journey with a section called Beyond Linear Limits that I'm going to quote from extensively: “Late one Saturday afternoon in Austin, Texas, I faced a showdown between my left and right brains. Shoot-out time. It was June 8, 1985, and it happened at the East-West Center when Diana Latham urged me to try the I Ching, just once. So reluctantly, I did ... with a lackadaisical and dubious query. But the response bowled me over! It was devastatingly appropriate - and poetic. Sheer chance, of course.

But when I tried it again later out of curiosity, it worked again. Moreover, the old Chinese oracle's answer again touched some deep chord in me that logic alone didn't reach. A response to wisdom, a welcoming hosanna of "Yes, that's it!" I was confronted with the notion that this absurd old oracle might actually work, odd as that seemed to my logical mind. Irrational. So strange in fact that I ignored it for awhile. I could not admit the possibility ... so it chewed just underneath. 

After all, I was modern savvy, educated past superstition. A Ph.D. teaching at the University of Texas. Wasn't I? Logic shot the I Ching..down. Didn't it? But I couldn't quite dismiss it. How in heaven's name could that abstract and ancient oracle mesh in such an amazing way with the events in my own modern day life? Rationality said, "Impossible Chance! Gullibility!" But the simple fact remained: it had told me apt wisdom, pointed and calm, like a grandparent whispering in my ear.

So I decided to explore in rational terms if such a thing might possibly be. Later in that section, she goes on to explain the I Ching: But I have slowly learned that the I Ching reveals the pattern. Not the specifics of an event, but its underlying pattern. It works through the dynamics of chaos theory, which can predict a trend without specifying its exact details. Discovering this huge hidden intelligence that rests deep inthe weave of nature, even learning to communicate with it, can be disconcerting, frightening .. ,  until it becomes wonderful.

The discovery reveals a deeper truth beyond the limits of what we call normal reality. It exhibits an underlying coherent pattern in the dynamic chaos of nature itself. More eerily, it exhibits a tappable caring that's nestled in the very fabric of spacetine-mattergy. This huge pattern knits the Cosmos together in physics and metaphysics. It unites the objective and the subjective, the quantitative and qualitative, the alpha and omega. Its vast dynamic shapes us, body and soul ...

- LimA
Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.
  • Like 2

You've done more research on this than I have.  I was just letting my mind do it's thing.

I don't do the I Ching.  I have intentionally avoided it as I have considered it to be superstition and I avoid, as much as I can, all superstition.

But yes, chaos is a hidden concept in Taoism.

Albert Camus covertly spoke about chaos when he stated the human life is absurd.  (But he noted that it is still worth living.)

The author above spoke about patterns.  I speak often of the processes of Nature (the universe and all within).  There is order within the chaos.  Our challenge is to identify these processes and how they apply to our life.

19 hours ago, Marblehead said:

You've done more research on this than I have.  I was just letting my mind do it's thing.

Hi Dada-da,

I have not done any research on Chaos at all. I shared this as an example of the myriad works on Chaos I chanced upon on the Internet - The Tao of Chaos (Paul Schumann).

I am not so much into a research on Chaos; it is personal. Just like you, i am more into 'letting my mind do it's thing'.

Why? My inclination is seeded in these from Wikiquote/Wikipedia:

"Chaos theory is the study of dynamical systems that are heavily influenced by initial conditions decision making'.

"Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics focused on the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. 'Chaos' is an interdisciplinary theory stating that within the apparent randomness of chaotic complex systems, there are underlying patterns, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarityfractalsself-organization, and reliance on programming at the initial point known as sensitive dependence on initial conditions. The butterfly effect describes how a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state, e.g. a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil can cause a tornado in Texas".

"Decision-making is regarded as the cognitive process resulting in the selection of a belief or a course of action among several alternative possibilities. Every decision-making process produces a final choice, which may or may not prompt action. Decision-making is the process of identifying and choosing alternatives based on the valuespreferences and beliefs of the decision-maker".

When it comes to Chaos Theory, I am  not comfortable with "sensitive dependence on initial conditions" and "the valuespreferences and beliefs of the decision-maker".

I don't do the I Ching.  I have intentionally avoided it as I have considered it to be superstition and I avoid, as much as I can, all superstition.

Your view is respected. But I will not use the word 'superstition'. I prefer 'belief'.

Chaos is a hidden concept in Taoism

I accept that Chaos is part of Taoism.

Albert Camus covertly spoke about chaos when he stated the human life is absurd.  (But he noted that it is still worth living.) The author above spoke about patterns.  I speak often of the processes of Nature (the universe and all within).  There is order within the chaos.  Our challenge is to identify these processes and how they apply to our life.

I accept - (i) 'processes of Nature' (ii) 'order within the chaos' (iii) 'identify these processes' and (iv) 'they apply to our life'.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.
  • Like 1

And by the way, living spontaneously is a form of chaos.  No patterns, oftentimes no definable process.

That's why kids and grandkids get irritated by their parents/grandparents.

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

And by the way, living spontaneously is a form of chaos.  No patterns, oftentimes no definable process.

Hi Dada-da,

I accept the generality of the statement.

But I do not want to be fixated with 'chaos'.

Did Lao Tzu knew what 'chaos' was. Ask him to spell 'chaos'.

Spontaneity comes with responsibility.

Spontaneity in relation to 'no patterns, oftentimes no definable process' - sounds nice,

But don't forget the learning and knowledge that comes with it.

To me living is largely learning and knowing en-route to nothing in the Void.

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

That's why kids and grandkids get irritated by their parents/grandparents.

Kids don't like spontaneous love from parents/grandparents?

Is it more likely that they do not like them when told by them to do maths and spelling?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

I accept the generality of the statement.

But I do not want to be fixated with 'chaos'.

Did Lao Tzu knew what 'chaos' was. Ask him to spell 'chaos'.

Spontaneity comes with responsibility.

Spontaneity in relation to 'no patterns, oftentimes no definable process' - sounds nice,

But don't forget the learning and knowledge that comes with it.

To me living is largely learning and knowing en-route to nothing in the Void.

I can't recall Lao Tzu speaking directly to the concept of chaos.  Chuang Tzu did.

Yes, even spontaneity requires taking responsibility for our thought, words, and deeds.

Younger folks have a hard time trying to be spontaneous because they always have things to do and places to go, most of which involve other people.

Yes, our root values will dictate in which areas of our life we can live spontaneously.

3 hours ago, Limahong said:

Kids don't like spontaneous love from parents/grandparents?

Is it more likely that they do not like them when told by them to do maths and spelling?

- LimA

What I was speaking to was more at the kids trying to tell the older folks how to live.  I mean, really, most of us, after reaching the age of 70 just don't give a shit what others think about us.  We already lived most of our life with that mentality.  

Sign in to follow this