Sign in to follow this  
Lost in Translation

Emotional Basket Case

I make time to meditate every day. I don't always make a lot of time, but that's a different issue.

Sitting in silence is a strange thing. Sitting. Breathing. Observing. Sleeping? The sudden fall of my head that wakes me before I realize I'm beginning to sleep. Dreaming?

My emotions run in cycles. I'll be fine for weeks. More than fine, I'll be content, maybe a little bored, feeling like I'm going through the motions, like it's just a silly game. Then BAM! I dread meditation - hate it - , start looking for excuses to not do it. I'll wake up in the morning, chest heavy, and start crying. Or I'll be driving my car, think of a deceased loved one and start laughing. I can smell their cigarettes, right next to me!

Sitting in silence is a strange thing. I don't know where this road leads. In my youth I wanted "enlightenment". He he. Young people want a lot of things. Now I just want truth. Peace is always appreciated. Happiness is good, too.

• Like 8

I can feel a little of what you are saying.  I suggest that you are an emotionally sensitive person.  That's good, really.

However, our emotions can play tricks on us.  They can cause us to ignore and even mentally alter our physical reality.  This isn't so good.

"Empty-Minded" meditation worked well for me in this regard.  (But different strokes for different folks.)

Remember, the Taoist Sage has no opinions of his own.  (Nothing to stir our emotions.)

• Like 3

I do look back fondly at my time when I used to sit in silence, or more accurately meditate in 'Silent Illumination'. It was a meditation that was well suited to me and gave me some good experiences. However, my current Zhan Zhuang practice gives me more concrete continual spiritual progression. Compared to 'Silent Illumination', it is entirely based in the body and results in physical development as well as mental. Like a seated practice, the progress is slow, but it is very much there.

• Like 2

Sitting in silence is only part of a nutritionally complete breakfast. I mean practice. 

It is the most surprising though. I equate it to digging a hole through your house's foundation to discover that you built on a landfill. Crap comes up. It's got to come up or you will never reach bedrock and have a true foundation.

Intellectually I understand. Emotionally is another story.

• Like 3

that sounds like fun!

i say - reside and enjoy the ride!

It must be there for a reason. 

In my experience ... I've had problems with anger. I would always lose my temper with stuff. 

Now, things roll off my back super easily. Very rare does something stir me. Good right?

But im also not as passionate or motivated like I was. I'm disinterested. 

Not that I prefer it either way; it's all good in the hood. 

I'm just saying...

its good to get off the roller coaster,

but sometimes you miss the thrills. 

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

that sounds like fun!

That's one word for it.

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

i say - reside and enjoy the ride!

I have a choice? I guess I do, but how many lives am I gonna make that same mistake!

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

It must be there for a reason.

Agreed.

No matter what you do for a living, if you are a person of conscience then you are also a garbage collector. You can quote me on that! ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I have a choice? I guess I do, but how many lives am I gonna make that same mistake!

No matter what you do for a living, if you are a person of conscience then you are also a garbage collector. You can quote me on that! ;)

Good points. 

I will collect garbage and carry it a few miles, then try to drop it off or give it to someone to make art out of. 😍

The more aware you are, the faster you'll realize it's garbage and you won't carry it as far - or never pick it up !

also, no choice on residing, but I've personally found enjoyment in surrender. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

I've personally found enjoyment in surrender. 

The tree that surrenders to the wind, survives.

The wire that resists the current, breaks.

Hmm, maybe I should write this stuff down...

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this