Rickie

Taoist Priest Training

Is anyone here a Taoist Priest or Priest in training?  I'm not sure if that is something I want to pursue yet?  Most of what I know and have experienced is the result of various books and readings, I've done over several decades and I'm looking for structure &OR guidance.  Thus I've come here.

• Like 2

Master Chen is launching a formal on-line Daoist Gui Yi Studies program. 
The course is open to those seeking to deepen their Daoist studies as well as 
Gui Yi's that are seeking Priest Ordination.
S.gif
41844b76-808a-4cc6-b59c-ed7da83b75c6.jpg
Requirements for Gui Yi Certification Only- 
Level 1 Priest in training:
  • Formal Application Process: Submit an essay as to why you want to be a priest? (Essay not required unless you seek Gui Yi Priest Certification)
  • Three endorsements / recommendations due by the end of September
  • Must Pass Quarterly Exams for Certification for Level I
  • At the completion of the course a one week in person study with Master Chen (date TBD)
  • Observation by Master Chen

Visit Wudangchen.com for all info

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:
Master Chen is launching a formal on-line Daoist Gui Yi Studies program. 
The course is open to those seeking to deepen their Daoist studies as well as 
Gui Yi's that are seeking Priest Ordination.
S.gif
41844b76-808a-4cc6-b59c-ed7da83b75c6.jpg
Requirements for Gui Yi Certification Only- 
Level 1 Priest in training:
  • Formal Application Process: Submit an essay as to why you want to be a priest? (Essay not required unless you seek Gui Yi Priest Certification)
  • Three endorsements / recommendations due by the end of September
  • Must Pass Quarterly Exams for Certification for Level I
  • At the completion of the course a one week in person study with Master Chen (date TBD)
  • Observation by Master Chen

Visit Wudangchen.com for all info

Are you a student of his?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickie said:

Is anyone here a Taoist Priest or Priest in training?  I'm not sure if that is something I want to pursue yet?  Most of what I know and have experienced is the result of various books and readings, I've done over several decades and I'm looking for structure &OR guidance.  Thus I've come here.

In the U.S., there is the program of Jerry Alan Johnson, the beginning of which is described here:

Becoming A Tian Yun Gong Daoist Disciple

It is important to note, that there is a difference between “Studying the Dao” (i.e., learning various magical Daoist techniques) and being a “Daoist” (being “Ordained” as a Disciple or Priest). At the Tian Yun Gong (Temple of the Celestial Cloud) in Monterey California, after one to three years of special Zhengyi Daoist training, a student may then qualify for the position of “Yellow Paper Disciple” at the Celestial Master’s Mansion (in Jiangxi Province), and begin the study of  “Closed-Door” Daoist Magical Training.

The following information provides an overview of the specific requirements of becoming a “Yellow Paper” Daoist Disciple at the Tian Yun Gong, including some of the special duties and qualification requirements.

THE DUTIES OF A DISCIPLE

Most Daoist Disciples belong to one of the various religious sects, and receive their magical instructions and directions from the elders within their religious order, such as the Senior Abbot (Cardinals), Abbots (Bishops), and Priests. These unique religious orders typically specialize in preaching and teaching the Dao, as well as performing various magical rituals.

Similar to the role of an Abbot or a Priest, a Yellow Paper Disciple is foremost a servant of the Dao. Although the government of the church rests upon the shoulders of the Abbots, both the Priests and the Disciples provide the needed assistance to maintain the temple, and the various ministries of the local body of believers. While an individual’s specific job duties may differ depending on what type of qualifications and magical training they possess, the duties of a Yellow Paper Daoist Disciple can include the following:

1. CARING FOR THE NEEDS OF PEOPLE:

One of the roles of a Disciple includes intelligently caring for the personal needs of others, especially members of the congregation. This includes the assisting individuals in their physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing.

2. RESOLVING GOSSIP AND STOPPING DISUNITY:

Edifying and uniting the church is one of the primary ministries of the Disciples. As such, he or she is responsible for heading off all disunity in the church, and is responsible for encouraging the congregation, and for building up one another for the highest good.

3. SUPPORTING THE MINISTRY:

Disciples will serve the church as a whole, by helping with responsibilities that the main teachers cannot perform. They are therefore responsible for encouraging and supporting the ministry of the Elders (i.e., the Priests, Abbots, and Senior Abbots).

THE QUALIFICATIONS OF A DISCIPLE

Along with the Elders (Priests, Abbots, and Senior Abbots), the Disciples have specific qualifications that are clearly outlined in Daoist Scriptures. Each member of the “Council of Disciples” should be an active member of the Temple, and possess specific qualifications. The qualifications for a Disciple can be divided into two different categories: Personal Character and Spiritual Character, described as follows:

1. PERSONAL CHARACTER OF A DISCIPLE

(a) A Disciple must be a man or woman of great dignity, reverent, and compassionate. They must be worthy of respect, serious minded, and must not treat serious things lightly.

(b) A Disciple must be a man or woman who is not double-tongued; and who does not spread malicious gossip.

(c) A Disciple must be a man or woman who is not addicted to much wine; and is noted for their sobriety.

(d) A Disciple must be a man or woman who is not fond of material gain, and who is not greedy for money or possessions.

2. SPIRITUAL CHARACTER OF A DISCIPLE

(a) A Disciple must be a man or woman who holds “to the mystery of the faith, with a clear conscience.” He or she must possess internal convictions based on the knowledge of divine true and sound spiritual doctrine.

(b) A Disciple must be a man or woman who has already been tested, and has proven him or herself to be faithful and trustworthy.

(c) A Disciple must be a man or woman who is morally pure in every way.

(d) A Disciple must be a man or woman who is the spiritual leader of their household.

3. A DISCIPLE’S MATE

(a) A Disciple’s Mate must be a man or woman who is reverent, compassionate, and serious in mind and character; and not silly or flippant about important matters.

(b) A Disciple’s Mate must be a man or woman who is not a slanderer; and must not speak malicious gossip.

(c) A Disciple’s Mate must be a man or woman who is temperate, alert, vigilant, clear-headed, and sober.

(d) A Disciple ’s Mate must be a man or woman who is faithful in all things, and absolutely trustworthy in all aspects of their lives and ministries.

The rest of this can be found on Professor Johnson's site:

The Temple of the Celestial Cloud Daoist training program

As well as information on Professor Johnson's background, training, books and DVDs available, etc.

There is a student of his here, qicat, though she has posted about going to China and while she has been on recently may not be available soon.

I have the Volumes one to four of Professor Johnson's Medical Qigong texts, the earlier edition not the present one, and all Eight of his primary texts on Daoist magic.  They are full of good information, his new books on Chinese Energetic Medicine, if they have material like their predecessors, could probably be used as beginning books in these studies, even by someone with a real aptitude studying on their own.  Though most people cannot learn this type of thing without guidance and so self-study is not recommended.

ZYD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

In the U.S., there is the program of Jerry Alan Johnson, the beginning of which is described here:

The rest of this can be found on Professor Johnson's site:

The Temple of the Celestial Cloud Daoist training program

As well as information on Professor Johnson's background, training, books and DVDs available, etc.

There is a student of his here, qicat, though she has posted about going to China and while she has been on recently may not be available soon.

I have the Volumes one to four of Professor Johnson's Medical Qigong texts, the earlier edition not the present one, and all Eight of his primary texts on Daoist magic.  They are full of good information, his new books on Chinese Energetic Medicine, if they have material like their predecessors, could probably be used as beginning books in these studies, even by someone with a real aptitude studying on their own.  Though most people cannot learn this type of thing without guidance and so self-study is not recommended.

ZYD

"self study is not recommended"  I understand that so what is a guy like me to do?

I'm not sure how I feel about these programs where you sign up to become a Daoist Priest. Will their lineage accept you just because you paid the money and put in the work? Or do you have to have natural talent, ability and affinity?

I respect JAJ's work but I really question the commodification of his school. Here in my city, there is a totally mundane woman with no real ability who was rich enough to do the full master qi gong program, and now she is the foremost authority and teacher here. But she is totally mundane, not one iota of natural talent. Her movements produce nothing and her healing is mediocre. But she sure makes a lot of money as evidenced by driving her Mercedes around. $900 per module per student x 15 students x 8 modules for the whole qi gong program.

We are talking obscene amounts of money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I respect JAJ's work but I really question the commodification of his school. Here in my city, there is a totally mundane woman with no real ability who was rich enough to do the full master qi gong program, and now she is the foremost authority and teacher here. But she is totally mundane, not one iota of natural talent. Her movements produce nothing and her healing is mediocre. But she sure makes a lot of money as evidenced by driving her Mercedes around. $900 per module per student x 15 students x 8 modules for the whole qi gong program.

Jeff Bezos  recently reported estimated net worth of $90,000,000,000 is an obscene amount of money.  Professor Johnson's fees are regrettably prohibitive for many people, but unless one has actual knowledge of his exact financial situation, such as how much he has to pay the Chinese in order to be in the position in which he is, of actually bringing the real possibility of Daoist initiation to Westerners, I don't personally think that one can stand in judgement of him.  I have posted before about the origin of Western attitudes about money and spirituality originating in Christianity:

On 5/26/2014 at 1:47 PM, Zhongyongdaoist said:
On 5/26/2014 at 1:08 PM, chris d said:

Regarding free most people have unconcious beliefs around money / paying money that they haven't cleared.

In the West this results the cultural influence of Christianity and the 'sin' of simony. This attitude is based on Matthew 10:8:

Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

In other cultures the situation is more complex and we should be wary of unwittingly using a set of values derived from Christianity to judge the practices of another culture. That doesn't mean that we can't use such values, it just means that we need to be aware of them and ask ourselves why we believe that they are applicable.

The operative phrase in Matthew is 'Freely you have received', with the implication that something of value really was received, in other words the power to 'Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons'. Since this was supposedly said by Jesus for a believer this would have the authority of a divine commandment, but for someone who is not working within that tradition and has worked hard, both in terms of study and practice and expended both time and money in the pursuit of the knowledge and ability to 'exorcise', they may be justified in charging and we are the ones who need to justify our attitudes about why they should freely give to us, what has cost them so much time, money and effort. (Emphasis added, ZYD)

The attitude to money and spirituality of far Eastern cultures is very different from that of the West, here is an interesting comparison which I originally got from Magic SEA Blog:

http://liewsp1-magicsea.blogspot.com/2012/08/looking-to-west.html

Looking To The West

pentagram.jpg

While everyone seems to look to the East to look for spiritual developments; I am not going against the current by saying: "Hey, let's look to the West!"

My point is pretty simple: Each time I purchase abook aboutWestern magic practices be it: The Golden Dawn, Wicca, Shamanism and the like, I got myself a complete system! What can a person ask for more? For a price of around USD50 or less, you get:

1. Altar setups

2. Protection circles

3. Personal power developments

4. Watcher invocations

5. Thoughtform developments

6. Herbal magic

7. Divination

8. Rituals for various purposes

9. Etc.

What else do you want more to start working eh?

Now let us look to the East for a comparison; I am not too bias in saying so. Let us take the above model and put it onto the model of a Thai magic:

1. One would probably need to spend around USD1000 just for the manual.

2. Another USD5000 for various statues, altar and ritual items.

3. What about the divination methods? Another USD1000?

4. Complete herbal knowledge? Perhaps another visit to Chiang Mai or Cambodia?

All in all one would at least spent USD10k ~ 20k to get into resonable depth. I have not taken in to consideration that we can download free manual from somewhere of course. By the way, rest assure that most of the manuals out there are incomplete, sorry.

Money is certainly normally the most difficult matter; so let usjust optfor the most cost effective ones without sacrificing the performance. I can assure you that the power of Wiccan ritual is not lesser than that of theCambodian Phra Ngan. Peace. (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

Unfortunately with his present reconstruction, this particular page is no longer publicly available, what I have posted above is my copy of this page.  By the way this is a really good site, the author is a real practitioner, and knows his stuff, there used to be some really fascinating posts on it, but with his recent reconstruction, to, as he says: " . . . make sure that only suitable and comprehensive materials for intended readers.".  He is moving a lot of material to a restricted part of his site.

As a person who has done exactly what I have said earlier:

for someone who is not working within that tradition and has worked hard, both in terms of study and practice and expended both time and money in the pursuit of the knowledge and ability to 'exorcise', they may be justified in charging and we are the ones who need to justify our attitudes about why they should freely give to us, what has cost them so much time, money and effort

The unfairness of the types of criticism about money that I hear all the time on the Dao Bums, is a real sore spot for me, there is not a single person here on the Dao Bums, much less Jeff Bezos, who could pay me enough to part with some of the things that I know and have learned and paid big prices for in terms of time, MONEY, and hard effort, to acquire, yet I continue to post here for free, those fruits of my labors which I consider can be taught openly and posted freely to the public.

Finally unless you, and yes, I mean you, whoever is reading this, have actually taught students, as I have, you have no right to judge me, or anyone else who teaches these things.  I stopped teaching years ago, out of shear frustration, about things like actually having to beg my students, as I did in one case, to a student who was not getting the expected results from what I had taught him to do, when he was in point of fact not doing what I had taught him to do, "please, humor me, pretend that I actually know what I am talking about, and that your preconceived notions about what you can leave in and leave out of my instructions is not correct, and just do it the way that I taught you to do it, just once, please, just pretend that I know what I am talking about", and when he did do it the way I said, to be awakened out of a sound sleep at 2:30 in the morning by a call, "Oh, my god, I can't believe it, I did it the way you said to do it, and its actually working the way you said it would, this is amazing!", in a tone that said "Wow, who would have thought!"  And this was not some "dumb person", I didn't have any "dumb" students, this was a lawyer who taught at a law school, he was one of the best "natural" psychics that I have ever met, and had some background in Eastern and Western esotericism, but was too smart and too self assured for his own good.  That is just one of the "Stupid Students" anecdotes that I could tell you, most teachers "have a million" of them that they share among themselves.

All of that said, I have never stopped thinking about:

19 hours ago, Rickie said:

"self study is not recommended"  I understand that so what is a guy like me to do? (Emphasis added, ZYD)

And how to answer that question, so I have spent the past several years thinking about how I would integrate the last thirty years of study and practice with the previous 20+ which was the basis of my earlier teaching, so that I could actually have an answer for "a guy like me", and have actually made plans to teach again, whether I will act on those plans, and there are people who do want me to do so, remains to be seen.  However, this post is long enough already, to say nothing of the time that I put into preparing it, so I will address some of the issues raised here in another post, I  hope, in the next day or so.

ZYD

• Like 6

Great points ZYD. I dont know the exact pricing of JAJ's school myself, but i would imagine he would work with your financial situation if they see you are completely dedicated to the path and you actually come away with something. Just to become a practicing "traditional" chinese medicine doctor in the U.S. can be around 40,000 + dollars. And some of these graduates really havent scratched the tip of the iceburg as far as the whole system. Like orion mentioned, just because someone has certifications or degrees, doesnt mean that they are successful in their own practice. The teaching in most of the chinese medicine universities in the u.s. is lacking compared to the teacher student relationships in old china . But JAJ actually seems to be offering a much more complete system that is very unique here.. so those are a few considerations.

Forgive me but this seems to be getting quite convoluted.  I would think in the spirit of Taoism this could be simpler.   So far it seems if you spend enough money you can learn more?   While nothing is free this sounds like a business enterprise and not a spiritual pursuit?  

8 hours ago, Rickie said:

So far it seems if you spend enough money you can learn more? 

Yes, as with all learning. Tuition costs. 

Teacher time, teachers Knowledge. 

Not to forget, all students who then publish books based on their half-understood notes which is both disrespectful to the teacher and, with the fact that they also starts to teach, in effect might take away income from that teacher. 

You can also see this situation from another perspective. 

What if the tradition was government sponsorer. Would then the Master/Teacher teach everybody everything for free,  or would he hold back and teach some parts of the system only to a chozen few? 

Probably Yes to that one. 

Is that fair? 

Probably not, but life is not fair. 

And so a teacher might prefere a student who invest money and dedication to the teachings, because that increases the probability that the student in question will spend his/her life continuing living the teaching, instead of seeing it as a hobby. 

A normal practitioner does not need that much knowledge to have enough practices to enrich ones life in whatever way one chooses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

Yes, as with all learning. Tuition costs. 

Teacher time, teachers Knowledge. 

Not to forget, all students who then publish books based on their half-understood notes which is both disrespectful to the teacher and, with the fact that they also starts to teach, in effect might take away income from that teacher. 

You can also see this situation from another perspective. 

What if the tradition was government sponsorer. Would then the Master/Teacher teach everybody everything for free,  or would he hold back and teach some parts of the system only to a chozen few? 

Probably Yes to that one. 

Is that fair? 

Probably not, but life is not fair. 

And so a teacher might prefere a student who invest money and dedication to the teachings, because that increases the probability that the student in question will spend his/her life continuing living the teaching, instead of seeing it as a hobby. 

A normal practitioner does not need that much knowledge to have enough practices to enrich ones life in whatever way one chooses. 

OK So how does a normal practitioner...actually what is a normal practitioner?...go about gaining this knowledge?

I've read a lot of stuff over the years, I meditate, I do a little Qi Gong.  I want to advance myself. 

Attach yourself to a teacher. 

Select one system, and go deeper in that system. If the system teach moving,  standing and seated practices you are probably covered for most eventualities. 

Which system or teacher? 

Well,  here on TDB you will find that everybody have their favourite. 

You'll never know what will fit you. 

Personally, I tested different systems until I found one I resonated well with. 

And oh Yes,  I would define a normal practitioner as someone who doesn’t make a profession out of the practice. 

Edited by Mudfoot
Added sentence
  • Like 2

Then I need to learn more about the various systems. Any suggestions would be welcomed.  

I'm more inclined to moving and standing system as sitting without back support is very painful for me.

Check out "group studies"  and "systems and teachers",  under both these sections of this site you will get a lot of information. 

Personally, I would start with a local teacher before going to national/international seminars. 

US practitioners seems to enjoy Stillness Movement,  Spring Forest Qigong and Flying phoenix. 

I can honestly say I haven't tried any of these. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 7:28 PM, Rickie said:

"self study is not recommended"  I understand that so what is a guy like me to do?

Give up.  

Examine your motives, they are flawed.  

If you think being a Taoist priest is about learning philosophical 'facts' and then broadcasting them like the Western BS windbag counterparts then give up.  

If you don't want to go and personally study with a master for many years in seclusion then give up.  

If you think it's just about certain knowledge and not psychic ability and awareness of the good, the bad, and the ugly of the spirit world, which you need to correctly cultivate with a lot of certain types of meditation then give up.  

A true mark of a Taoist priest is that they have a beam of energy going out the top of their heads, like I do, and I aint no steenking priest!.

Why do you want to become a Taoist priest?

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 4

The dogma of my dog Dude...

AKA the reverend long tongue hang lo...

Not the bitch mother of his but rather his general approach to life...

Begin with:

Eating when hungry (and in moderation)

Sleep when tired (again in moderation) with one eye open

Exhibit unending love and or fealty

Stretch often

A pretty good teacher!

• Like 3

On 13/09/2017 at 9:45 PM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

Finally unless you, and yes, I mean you, whoever is reading this, have actually taught students, as I have, you have no right to judge me, or anyone else who teaches these things.  I stopped teaching years ago, out of shear frustration, about things like actually having to beg my students, as I did in one case, to a student who was not getting the expected results from what I had taught him to do, when he was in point of fact not doing what I had taught him to do, "please, humor me, pretend that I actually know what I am talking about, and that your preconceived notions about what you can leave in and leave out of my instructions is not correct, and just do it the way that I taught you to do it, just once, please, just pretend that I know what I am talking about", and when he did do it the way I said, to be awakened out of a sound sleep at 2:30 in the morning by a call, "Oh, my god, I can't believe it, I did it the way you said to do it, and its actually working the way you said it would, this is amazing!", in a tone that said "Wow, who would have thought!"  And this was not some "dumb person", I didn't have any "dumb" students, this was a lawyer who taught at a law school, he was one of the best "natural" psychics that I have ever met, and had some background in Eastern and Western esotericism, but was too smart and too self assured for his own good.  That is just one of the "Stupid Students" anecdotes that I could tell you, most teachers "have a million" of them that they share among themselves.

Fascinating to read all your posts on this subject. I just have to say if I were ever to teach, this kind of thing would just drive me up the wall. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 8:55 AM, Starjumper said:

Give up.  

Examine your motives, they are flawed.  

If you think being a Taoist priest is about learning philosophical 'facts' and then broadcasting them like the Western BS windbag counterparts then give up.  

If you don't want to go and personally study with a master for many years in seclusion then give up.  

If you think it's just about certain knowledge and not psychic ability and awareness of the good, the bad, and the ugly of the spirit world, which you need to correctly cultivate with a lot of certain types of meditation then give up.  

A true mark of a Taoist priest is that they have a beam of energy going out the top of their heads, like I do, and I aint no steenking priest!.

Why do you want to become a Taoist priest?

There is not anything to give up. My motives may be flawed.  I'll explore the priest thing for a year before I make a decision.   If you mean quit pursuing Taoism that's not an option at this time or I wouldn't be here.  

How do you know you have a beam of energy going out of the top of your head?  Is it a visualization thing?

7 hours ago, Rickie said:

I'll explore the priest thing for a year before I make a decision. 

That might be a small obstacle on your road. 

Which teacher will take you seriously (and teach you accordingly) if you plan to take a year, like a (sorry) tourist? 

A year of teacher -guided, 2-4 hours a day practice would be more like it. As a start. 

Or as Wu Ming Jen is fond of writing, you are welcome at Wudang mountain if you have 7-8 hours a day to spend on practice :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rickie said:

There is not anything to give up. My motives may be flawed.  I'll explore the priest thing for a year before I make a decision.   If you mean quit pursuing Taoism that's not an option at this time or I wouldn't be here.  

Don't quit Taoism, and do go deeply into the training, so someday you will see the mystery, and be at peace.

9 hours ago, Rickie said:

How do you know you have a beam of energy going out of the top of your head?  Is it a visualization thing?

No, we don't do no steenking visualizations in my system.  I was told by people who could see auras, and I can feel it with my hand.

• Like 1

I'm not expecting to be taken seriously until i'm ready to commit.  Yes I am at this point a tourist.  Hours per day?  I work full time and have family obligations.  Mudfoot  do you practice 7-8 hours a day?

I have work and family, so I do not practice 7-8 hours a day.

But I do not intend to become a daoist priest, so there is less demanded of me. 

I do formal practice at least one hour on my own, and add informal practice and when I practice with patients on top of that. 

When I learned my tradition,  there were 2-4 hours a day, I kept up with that (12years) until my son was borne, five years ago. And I had years of practice before I found a tradition I liked. 

And you will find that compared to many others here on TDB, this is a small amount of practice. 

For me, at this time, it is enough. My practice takes me through changes I wouldn't have dreamt of five years ago. 

But I hope to be able to put in more time again,  when the kids are older. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

I have work and family, so I do not practice 7-8 hours a day.

But I do not intend to become a daoist priest, so there is less demanded of me. 

I do formal practice at least one hour on my own, and add informal practice and when I practice with patients on top of that. 

When I learned my tradition,  there were 2-4 hours a day, I kept up with that (12years) until my son was borne, five years ago. And I had years of practice before I found a tradition I liked. 

And you will find that compared to many others here on TDB, this is a small amount of practice. 

For me, at this time, it is enough. My practice takes me through changes I wouldn't have dreamt of five years ago. 

But I hope to be able to put in more time again,  when the kids are older. 

I can do an hour a day.  I don't know what you mean by practice?  What do you do for that hour?  What is your tradition?  Sorry to as so many questions.  I can here for interaction and to learn more.  Thanks

Ask on :).

I have described my practice in nausiating detail in my PPD, you can check that out if you like. 

In short, I have movements and standing practices. If I had more time I would add seated practice as well.