Starjumper

Origin of species - Interstellar humans

Human, non human, we are all made of star stuff.

As connected to the far reaches of space as we are to our own beating hearts.

Look up and wonder.  Look down and know.  Is it any different?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stosh said:

:) 

Well , one can't draw a probability curve from only one data point. There is only this orb , and on it a single genetic lineage, that is it.

And even on this orb, life preponderantly, is non-humanoid.  Humans developed hands , but other creatures have other appendages, shapes , symmetries and life plans. 

There categorically are no other 'humanoids' within the scope of human contact , ( and beyond that is moot) . That range of contact , is not the limits of the universe and so the probability estimates , used ,  which appear to render the totally minuscule likelihood of sentient life per star system , into a big likelihood of contact  , (by introducing a gigantic multiplier , that is in fact moot) , is  in fact,  the most reasonable standpoint to dictate profitable human endeavor. 

People don't even know what lies in the depths of the planet we are on, nor even in the jungles , nor deserts , nor even the soil of our own back yards. 

With aliens beyond our reach , and earthlings within it , the stars should be left to twinkle. 

(Bold for emphasis by me)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

Human, non human, we are all made of star stuff.

As connected to the far reaches of space as we are to our own beating hearts.

Look up and wonder.  Look down and know.  Is it any different?

Yes it is. 

If the storm is coming here ( FL)  , I would rather know, than wonder. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 11:31 AM, Stosh said:

Well , one can't draw a probability curve from only one data point. There is only this orb , and on it a single genetic lineage, that is it.

And even on this orb, life preponderantly, is non-humanoid.  Humans developed hands , but other creatures have other appendages, shapes , symmetries and life plans. 

There categorically are no other 'humanoids' within the scope of human contact , ( and beyond that is moot) . That range of contact , is not the limits of the universe and so the probability estimates , used ,  which appear to render the totally minuscule likelihood of sentient life per star system , into a big likelihood of contact  , (by introducing a gigantic multiplier , that is in fact moot) , is not in fact,  the most reasonable standpoint to dictate profitable human endeavor. 

People don't even know what lies in the depths of the planet we are on, nor even in the jungles , nor deserts , nor even the soil of our own back yards. 

With aliens beyond our reach , and earthlings within it , the stars should be left to twinkle. 

:)

Well that's great, and I understand.  Everyone has their beliefs systems to uphold, and beliefs trump common sense every time.  In fact, you're in luck, I'm handing out cigars today to everyone that has beliefs.  What's your pleasure, a nice Havana cigar, yes?  One rolled with tabbaco leaves or one rolled with pot leaves, take your pick.  Good man, so please go ahead and tell me more about about your beliefs.  I know beliefs are easy when you lack an education or understanding in some subject, it's not a problem, I'm fine with people having beliefs, really.

Anyway, you speak of only one point of referrense, which one is it you are referring to which ignores all the sightings and reports and statistics.  If you studied statistics or took it at the U then you would know that huge numbers results in huge prbabilities for something to occur.    You could consider, but please don't, that there are some planets with oceans of hydrocarbons, which are the building blocks of life, there are gigantic gas and dust clouds in interstellar space which are composed mainly of hydrocarbons, the building blocks of life.  It's everywhere, and since a great many stars have planets in the water (life) zone, and if you consider that life adapts to all kinds of outlandish extremes, don't, then you will see that the probability of life starting is rather high actually.  But  let's assume, for the sake of arguing for your beliefs, that the probability is extremely rare and even though DNA is drifting through space, that life almost never starts on an ideal planet except for ours, because were so special and stuff like that, with beliefs and stuff.  Ok so if you assume that only one in each million of these ideal planets in the galaxy has life and that there are a hundred billion to four hundred billion stars in the galaxy, then that means that a hundred thousand to four hundred thousand planets will have life.  That's if you make the chance of life super super small, for the sake of beliefs.  If you use a slightly higher number, like only one it ten thousand ideal planets develops life, then that means that there are ten million to forty million planets in the galaxy that will have life, but it's probably more than that if you don't ignore how common hydrocarbons and ideal planets are, which you should.  You should also ignore now many billions of years head start over the Earth that many of them will have.

So, ignoring all the eye witness reports throughout history and also ignoring common sense and mathematics, which is the single fact that exists to extrapolate from which you were referring to?

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

(Bold for emphasis by me)

Well that's poetic, isn't it.  Let's study the dirt in our back yards and ignore aliens in the face.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

I make aliens for a living. Most of us here are actually aliens.

Want to see aliens, well that is easy we have compiled some earth stuff to make reflecting pools, this makes the sightings easy and convenient. 

intergalatic space travel by using machines is arcaic, mostly amature aliens use these devices to "get around" so do not worry about them. I do encourage travel and seeing other parts of the universe,

In the near future most of the technology and machines of this world will not be needed anymore but it is fun to build stuff. making machines and technology to kill each other will not be tolerated.

Those people of power and greed killing others to steal their stuff are not aliens by the way. We are working on this problem it is some kind of virus screwing up the circuitry of the brain organ.

• Like 1