Zephyr

Greetings! A Short Introduction

Greetings! So I just wanted to post about myself. Recently I decided to start following Tao. This was quite a big decision considering I have a long and confusing history with religion and beliefs ( but that's a post all onto itself ). I spent a lot of time over the last 2ish years looking into different religions, practices, beliefs, and life styles. Somehow through it all I kept being drawn back the the idea of Taoism. As of a few months ago I started proclaiming myself as a Taoist but when my friend asked about Tao and a Taoist lifestyle I had to admit i'm not entirely sure what that is. I did my best to explain what Tao is for me and how i'm still learning but after I thought about what he said and really examined myself it just left me with more questions than answers.  So here I am hoping to learn all I can and talk to as many different people so I can deepen my understanding of Tao.  Thanks all, I look forward to talking to you soon. -Zephyr

• Like 7

Hello Zephyr, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Zephyr,

I think you will find that Taoist Philosophy is compatible with most religions so don't concern yourself with that right now.  The sub-forum here titled "Taoist Discussions" would be a good place to get your feet wet.  There are a number of studies of the Tao Te Ching and there is an on-going study of Chuang Tzu.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

There are a number of studies of the Tao Te Ching and there is an on-going study of Chuang Tzu.

Hi Dada,

I understand there is a Tao Te Ching translation done for TDB. It is titled Flowing Hands.

Please advise how I can have access to it.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I thought about what he said and really examined myself it just left me with more questions than answers.

Hi Zephyr,

Life itself is a question without an answer. Keep asking.

Selamat datang.

- LimA

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada,

I understand there is a Tao Te Ching translation done for TDB. It is titled Flowing Hands.

Please advise how I can have access to it.

Thank you.

Let's make sure there are no misunderstanding here, Okay?

Flowing Hands is a Taoist Shaman.  He is a member of The Dao Bums.

He has recorded what he calls his transmission (translation) of the Tao Te Ching.

There are many members here who feel "at home" with how the words of Lao Tzu are presented by him.

But it was not done "for TDB".  I did a quick look and can't find where the entire TTC of his is located.  If someone else doesn't help us, please send me a PM and I will, one way or another, find it for you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I found it!!!

Hi Dada,

Thanks alot. Appreciate the fast turnaround.

Guess where you are it is turn, turn, turn ...

Above tune - pretty Taoistic. Many ying/yang.

- LimA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

If someone else doesn't help us, please send me a PM and I will, one way or another, find it for you.

Hi Dada,

I am really touched. Thank you.

This pertains to the BROTHERHOOD I am trying to put across at TDB.

I am now up for my cookie fix; like to have one? It's chocolate.

- LimA

• Like 1

Hello friend and welcome. I was in a similar position as you. Dissillusioned by my religious upbringing and looking for something deeper. I also researched several different religions as much as i could and still do! 

I like a quote gandhi said when he was asked if he was a hindu and he said “Yes I am. I am also a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew.”

what i took it to mean personally, is that any of the old spiritual traditions can be good paths if you are lucky to find sincere teachers and practitioners. Personally, having studied the bible for years, when i studied some of the scriptures from othe religions i thought these guys are on very similar paths, and have the same ultimate goal, but different methods to get there. Others im sure disagree but that is my understanding of it at the present moment.

I guess if someone "forced" me to pick one i'd say daoist as most of my practices are daoist, and i find their teachings resonate with me most. But i keep an open mind with the others still, which is important (in my humble opinion) because some of the texts and practices from other religions will describe a certain process in greater clarity and perhaps from a different perspective.

anyways i hope you enjoy your time here. There are alot of great and sincere people that can help you  if you ask. :)

Edited by Seatle185
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Seatle185 said:

Others im sure disagree but that is my understanding of it at the present moment.

Hi Seatle185,

I don't disagree with you; I largely agree with you.

To me there is ONE Spiritual Divine but many paths to embrace Her/Him.

Even within one faith, there are myriad paths. Why? No two persons the same. Each path - a road less traveled.

THE FUTURE OF RELIGIONS

No religion which is narrow and which cannot satisfy the test of reason, will survive the coming reconstruction of society in which the values will have changed and character, not possession of wealth, title or birth will be the test of merit.  

- M. Gandhi

Good night.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Limahong said:

No religion which is narrow and which cannot satisfy the test of reason, will survive the coming reconstruction of society in which the values will have changed and character, not possession of wealth, title or birth will be the test of merit.  

- M. Gandhi

Thank you

3 hours ago, Seatle185 said:

Thank you

Hi Seatle185,

I thank you too for jolting my recall.

- LimA

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Tao Te Ching

Hi Dada,

All my life thus far I have yet to - (i) touch anything on Tao Te Ching (TTC) or (ii) be touched by TTC. Deem thus I am considered a virgin on the TTC block.

Soon I will loose my Taoist innocence to TTC.

Please advise which English translation of TTC is best suited (as a suitor) to deflower my innocence into Taoistic full blooms?

I am more than 18 years old.

- LimA

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Taoist innocence

Hi Dada,

Just in case we have people reading this thread who are wired improperly, please note - Taoist innocence.

- LimA

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada,

All my life thus far I have yet to - (i) touch anything on Tao Te Ching (TTC) or (ii) be touched by TTC. Deem thus I am considered a virgin on the TTC block.

Soon I will loose my Taoist innocence to TTC.

Please advise which English translation of TTC is best suited (as a suitor) to deflower my innocence into Taoistic full blooms?

I am more than 18 years old.

- LimA

Well, when asked I generally recommend reading a few translations of the TTC, then read The Chuang Tzu, go back and re-read the TTC.  In my opinion, the TTC are the headlines, The Chuang Tzu is the rest of the story.

And I generally state that Robert  G Henricks' translation is my preferred translation because it is a literary work with no significant personal biases as far as I can tell.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Robert  G Henricks' translation is my preferred translation because it is a literary work with no significant personal biases as far as I can tell.

Good morning Dada,

Thank you. I went online re Tao Te Ching (TTC) and the translation possibilities are quite mind blogging.

I like your preference that "Robert  G Henricks' translation ... is a literary work with no significant personal biases as far as I can tell". This is important. 

I am mindful re 'lost in translation'. But I will be none the wiser as I failed my Mandarin in school. So I will try an embrace TTC as a journey with an open mind.

I have decided that I will embrace TTC seriously and in earnest. I think this decision can change me forever. Why?

Since the beginning of this year I have started some Buddhist chanting and at the start I cried a lot despite my not knowing a word. Why? I really don't know. At the moment I am inclined to think along the lines of innocence ...

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2017 at 9:35 AM, Zephyr said:

So here I am hoping to learn all I can and talk to as many different people so I can deepen my understanding of Tao.

Hi Zephyr,

Never underestimate the value of sitting in silence. Call it prayer. Call it meditation. Whatever you like.

Set a timer. Fix your intention. Focus on your breath. Let your thoughts come as they will. Acknowledge them. Put them away. Return to your intention.

Tao is patient. In time it will begin to reveal itself. :)

Welcome!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Hi Zephyr,

Never underestimate the value of sitting in silence. Call it prayer. Call it meditation. Whatever you like.

Set a timer. Fix your intention. Focus on your breath. Let your thoughts come as they will. Acknowledge them. Put them away. Return to your intention.

Welcome!

Thank you! Meditation has helped me out quite a bit. I do have a hard time doing it for extended periods of time though. I typically get distracted and lose focus but I suppose its just something you have to work up to. thank you so much to everyone else who has responded! I look forward to talking with you all soon. -Zephyr 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Hi Lost in Translation,

What is silence?

Silence Quote: Those who know do not speak. Those...

- LimA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Hi Lost in Translation,

What is it?

Silence Quote: It’s a shame when the things that...

So that is it?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

... that clown from the Stephen King book... ^_^

Hi Lost in Translation,

Send in the clown ...

- LimA

On 28.8.2017 at 6:35 PM, Zephyr said:

Greetings! So I just wanted to post about myself. Recently I decided to start following Tao. This was quite a big decision considering I have a long and confusing history with religion and beliefs ( but that's a post all onto itself ). I spent a lot of time over the last 2ish years looking into different religions, practices, beliefs, and life styles. Somehow through it all I kept being drawn back the the idea of Taoism. As of a few months ago I started proclaiming myself as a Taoist but when my friend asked about Tao and a Taoist lifestyle I had to admit i'm not entirely sure what that is. I did my best to explain what Tao is for me and how i'm still learning but after I thought about what he said and really examined myself it just left me with more questions than answers.  So here I am hoping to learn all I can and talk to as many different people so I can deepen my understanding of Tao.  Thanks all, I look forward to talking to you soon. -Zephyr

Well, you know, the Dao that could be defined isn't the real Dao, so I guess you are on the right track. :D

Welcome to TDB!

• Like 1