Brian

Eclipse

2 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Not alligator.  Crocodile.  In Russian, it rhymes with "swallowed."  And Russians are largely descended from the Vikings (the Rus tribe that invaded what is currently known as Western Russia in the 9th century and gave the land its name was Swedish) who traveled far and wide, reaching among other places the Mediterranean, where one could expect to encounter a crocodile or two brought from Africa.  Besides, some of those Rus folks were literate. :) 

-4.jpg

Wait !  is that a croc eating the sun ? ! 

)and I postd in the other thread about space lizard eating the sun ......    :o 

how do the bear with the club and the rabbit fit in ?  Does the bear hit the croc with club and make him throw up the sun  ( if so, that's just too weird ! )

Rabbit is Moon ? 

• Like 1

I personally myself stayed up all night waiting for this damn thing - complete disappointment.  What can you do? astronomy eh? It's literally bollocks.

• Like 1

I watched it on the Science Channel.  I too was disappointed.  They had so many filters in play that one couldn't really see what was happening.

But then, I have had so many experiences in my life it is hard to impress me any more.

2 hours ago, Apech said:

I personally myself stayed up all night waiting for this damn thing - complete disappointment.  What can you do? astronomy eh? It's literally bollocks.

Just at the moment it was supposed to happen the moon came across and shut out all the light.  Couldn't see a thing.  Rubbish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apech said:

Just at the moment it was supposed to happen the moon came across and shut out all the light.  Couldn't see a thing.  Rubbish.

You were supposed to close your eyes, I think.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rainbowvein said:

What a job, eh?  Electricity is like the life-blood of the city.  Gotta keep it pumping 24/7.  We dont want all those vital machines to stop working, do we?  Just try to imagine what you would do without your computer and your phone...  Not to mention the hospitals, the water plants, the gas stations... and all that kind of thing.

Here's something I wrote earlier today for another audience but I thought I'd share it here  (BTW, the totality in Franklin was just over 2.5 minutes):

So...

Yesterday was "eclipse day."  My home was in the 99% zone but I had been told by a friend who traveled halfway across the country to see the last one in the US that the difference between partial and total is like, pardon the pun, night and day.  I put in a vacation request moths ago and studied the map.  I wouldn't have to go far to reach totality but many of the roads around me are narrow two-lane roads which twist through the mountains with little to no shoulder and we were expecting tremendous crowds.  I chose to take a divided highway to minimize the chance of complete gridlock and selected the town of Franklin, NC, in the Nantahala National Forest.  I also decided to play it safe, since I was alone, and  I planned to stop in a fast-food joint's parking lot right outside of downtown.  The crowd which descended on Franklin was roughly three times larger than the town's population and it wasn't one of the most popular destinations!

I knew traffic was going to be awful so I left WAY early and had nearly three hours to wait, by design. Even so, traffic started to back up about halfway there and I was relieved when it became apparent most of them were heading towards Sylva and points South of there.  Things thinned out after the road split there and it was smooth sailing on into Franklin.

I got something to eat (as much to justify sitting in their parking lot and using their restroom as anything) and then did a lot of sitting in stillness.  As the partial eclipse approached, I maintained that "shifted" State and began looking for a few seconds periodically.  More significantly, though, I was "listening" to the energy patterns.

Until a few minutes before the totality began, I was popping on my glasses and checking the progress only a few seconds at a time.  I then put my glasses on and watched constantly for maybe ten minutes -- about five or so leading up to totality, taking the glasses off and watching through totality and then putting them back off to watch the beginning of the transition out.  At that point, I hopped in my car and hit the road to beat the worst of the crowd getting back out.

Yes, the sun's energy was intense and strange. Something I hadn't expected, though, was the interplay between Heaven and Earth!  Beginning a few minutes before totality, I started noticing a low frequency vibration -- more like an oscillation.  The eclipse caused a shift in the balance between these two elemental forces (for lack of a better phrase) and it was like a spring bouncing or string vibrating in a musical instrument.  It got slightly more intense but was most fascinating was that it became more complex -- more frequencies and higher harmonics being added in.

During the totality, you can look directly at the sun and see the corona around it.  At that point, it was like an immense energetic chord being played as Heaven and Earth sought equilibrium during this rapid transition between day and night and back again.

Even more quickly than it began, the harmonics rapidly started diminishing and fading as the sun emerged and day returned.

Words cannot describe the experience.  I hope others had the opportunity to experience totality, too!
  • Like 12

I made the pinhole box thing, it was actually kind of neat. This is what it looks like.

Since the web clips were not in sync with florida , it helped to know when it was here. 

The small pinhole looks neat and sharp, the bright one is larger but softer edged.  This was beforehand.

DSCN3751-1small .jpg

• Like 2

At about 25 percent coverage the sun doesnt look dimmed much , but the light outside did have a soft look. 

First pic is 25% , second pic of the road , was at peak ,about 80 percent. 

DSCN3805-1 small .jpg

DSCN3871-1small .jpg

13 hours ago, Nungali said:

Wait !  is that a croc eating the sun ? ! 

)and I postd in the other thread about space lizard eating the sun ......    :o 

Link?

This is what it looked like to eyes , through the shifting cloud cover, and another pic (darkened and desaturated) as the moon left , which is darkened and the color shot is showing color which was not evident until darkened up a lot. 

DSCN3902 small .jpg

leaving fl sm .jpg

DSCN3839-1 small .jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Nungali said:

how do the bear with the club and the rabbit fit in ?  Does the bear hit the croc with club and make him throw up the sun  ( if so, that's just too weird ! )

Rabbit is Moon ? 

I'll get back to you on that.  I read that story when I was 3, and aside from the crocodile, don't remember what other characters it had and what they were up to.  Will have to look it up if I can find it online.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stosh said:

This is what it looked like to eyes , through the shifting cloud cover, and another pic (darkened and desaturated) as the moon left , which is darkened and the color shot is showing color which was not evident until darkened up a lot. 

DSCN3902 small .jpg

leaving fl sm .jpg

DSCN3839-1 small .jpg

The first looks like the Cheshire Cat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Link?

... and the page before I posted a  rabbit

... but no bear .

I found something Michael Winn wrote in an old newsletter about a past eclipse, so I thought I`d pass it along in case it`s of interest.

The cosmic threesome is played here by Father Sun, Mother Earth, and daughter Moon. Their exact alignment during the eclipse creates an especially intense show for us by infusing their this triple force into the deep Yin Womb of Earth that opens up during Winter Solstice. The challenge is not to just witness the show, but capture its essence in our body, and thus speed our soul’s journey.

An eclipse is what  I call a “post-natal void”. It is “emptiness manifested physically before our eyes”. Void spaces want to fill themselves, so they naturally and suddenly suck on any psychic forces in their path, a kind of subtle-body tornado. That’s why traditionally there was a lot of fear around eclipses. For those brave enough to whole-heartedly leap into this void space, it  makes eclipses a fantastic opportunity to break out of old stuck patterns.

The psychic patterns literally get sucked into the post-natal void. IF we are aligned and willing, Nature pulls us iinto its temporary void at the same time that we push our stuff out. That moves stuff like nothing else you’ve tried by yourself, at other less auspicious times of the year.

Michael Winn

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

On 8/22/2017 at 4:30 PM, Brian said:

There's an area in the US which will be in totality for both the one this week AND the one in 2024.

The gods were really unhappy with someone living there.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 9:54 PM, qicat said:

it was shitty.

So cold. Bad energy. My yin eyes saw stuff I should have not seen. I won't even tell Sifu about it, he will yell at me for even looking at that kind of stuff. 

p.s. it is interesting in Hindu traditions they say to stay inside and lock the doors and don't cook food during the eclipse. In USA they made a show out if it ( but I admit, NASA did good job on coverage.)

I also felt like it was an incredibly negative time, especially during the period it was becoming darker. During the height of the eclipse itself that negativity seemed to lessen.

It wasn't bad being in 99%. It got dark similar to the evening time, crickets came out, etc. Totality must have been really dark...2024 I'm going to plan better, so as to be in the totality while avoiding traffic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aetherous said:

I also felt like it was an incredibly negative time

It was for some, apparently.  At the extreme end of the spectrum, two people, one I knew and one I knew of via mutual acquaintances, died the day after the eclipse.  The day before, the marriage of someone I'm fairly close to fell apart.  And I've seen lively discussions of "post-eclipse symptoms" and even "post-eclipse sickness" online.

I didn't feel particularly affected, except for a certain volatility of energy, mood and dreams.  Had "mundane" dreams two nights in a row, which is exceptionally rare for me, and the second one went lucid, which is even rarer. 

• Like 3

Fun fact: Eclipses come in pairs!

ic-eclipse-pairs.png

A lunar eclipse always occurs about 2 weeks before or after a solar eclipse. On some occasions, a solar eclipse can be both preceded and followed by a lunar eclipse!

• Like 4