Brian

Eclipse

Almost halfway to totality here.

A little mood music playing...

Spoiler

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, rainbowvein said:

Awesome! I can already see the beginning of partial eclipse here.

Do you have a filter for your camera to take pictures?

I don't. Several co-workers have really nice cameras and have solar filters so I'll wait to see their photos. My house is in the 99% zone but I drove SW to near the centerline of totality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MooNiNite said:

Colorado - we got like 94%, but it didnt really get dark or anyting. still cool tho

I'm told by friends who have chased these things that the difference between near-total and total is... ummmm... like night and day.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rainbowvein said:

99% zone!!! Super! :D

I am in Franklin now -- totality here will last about two minutes.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

I made a viewer out of some junkmail. Best I could tell with intermittent cloud cover we didn't get 25% in Scottsdale. It did get a little darker though.

• Like 3

Watch it live

An nbc news live stream of the eclipse

Edited by Hancock
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cybele said:

Was near by in Dillsboro - so amazing...

Dillsboro was my "Plan B" if 441 was too crowded.

Truly amazing!  I was floored by the energetic phenomena I experienced, too.  I may write about that in the next day or two.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Dillsboro was my "Plan B" if 441 was too crowded.

Truly amazing!  I was floored by the energetic phenomena I experienced, too.  I may write about that in the next day or two.

Was not crowded and we snuck around the traffic issues - really could not have been better! Would love to hear about your experience, was pretty powerful for me, too. Then the rooster crowed...

• Like 2

it was shitty.

So cold. Bad energy. My yin eyes saw stuff I should have not seen. I won't even tell Sifu about it, he will yell at me for even looking at that kind of stuff. 

p.s. it is interesting in Hindu traditions they say to stay inside and lock the doors and don't cook food during the eclipse. In USA they made a show out if it ( but I admit, NASA did good job on coverage.)

• Like 1

We only had 60%, still pretty cool.  I got eclipse glasses for this, and planned some taoist magical endeavors -- nothing major, just charging an object suitable for the task with the 60%yin/40% yang qi of the moment.  For some reason, three of my neighbors, who are usually not all that neighborly, congregated at my door and spent most of the eclipse time there, chatting and swapping stories, well and also using my and my son's eclipse glasses because all they had was some technology from the 1940s, i.e. an empty cereal box with a cut-out square, a colander, and nothing at all, respectively. 

The weirdest thing was my cat's behavior.  He's normally completely antisocial with people and the moment someone approaches my door, he hides in the kitchen cupboard behind the pots faster than I can answer the door.  He's always avoided meeting the neighbors at all costs.  This time, however, he got out and joined the party, plumping down next to everybody's feet and chilling.  This has never happened before.  The eclipse must have reprogrammed his brain -- whether temporarily or permanently, time will tell.

The end of eclipse I had a taiji private and drove to my teacher's, combining the last fifteen minutes of partiality with total immersion in practice. 

• Like 3

It is an interesting coincidence that the Moon should so nearly perfectly blot out the Sun, since there is really no physical reason why this has be the case. The Moon happens to be about 400 times smaller than the Sun, but the Sun happens to be about 400 times further from the Earth than the Moon is. So simple geometry tells us that the apparent disk of the Moon is almost exactly the size of the apparent disk of the Sun.

... this similarity is unique among the planets and moons that make up our local family in space, our solar system. In other words, it doesn’t occur with any other planets and moons in our immediate neighborhood of space.

But there may be millions or billions of undiscovered solar systems.

So what are the odds of the moon and sun appearing nearly the same size from Earth? No one knows.

The moon takes roughly 27 days to orbit Earth and also just so happens to be roughly 27% the size of the Earth.

So what are the odds of the moon's transit time around the Earth being exactly the same as its size compared to the Earth?  No one knows.

Thats right.  No one knows.  No big deal.  Right?

• Like 1

Taoists have been accurately predicting eclipses for 4,000 years (with only one fatal mistake that cost two court astronomers their heads when they failed to warn the fourth king of the Xia dynasty of an upcoming solar eclipse.)  Whatever symbolic meanings occultists later ascribed to the events can't hold a sun candle to the theory that yielded such spectacular empirical success.  To wit, the theory that the sun gets eaten by a dragon...  that's in China, whereas in Vietnam it's eaten by a giant frog, in India by a giant humanoid monster, in Norse mythology by a bunch of wolves, in Native American tradition by a bear, and in a Russian nursery rhyme by a crocodile.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Taoists have been accurately predicting eclipses for 4,000 years (with only one fatal mistake that cost two court astronomers their heads when they failed to warn the fourth king of the Xia dynasty of an upcoming solar eclipse.)  Whatever symbolic meanings occultists later ascribed to the events can't hold a sun candle to the theory that yielded such spectacular empirical success.  To wit, the theory that the sun gets eaten by a dragon...  that's in China, whereas in Vietnam it's eaten by a giant frog, in India by a giant humanoid monster, in Norse mythology by a bunch of wolves, in Native American tradition by a bear, and in a Russian nursery rhyme by a crocodile.

Clearly, adults in cultures around the world and throughout time take a perverse thrill in scaring little kids.

;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

To wit, the theory that the sun gets eaten by a dragon...  that's in China, whereas in Vietnam it's eaten by a giant frog, in India by a giant humanoid monster, in Norse mythology by a bunch of wolves, in Native American tradition by a bear, and in a Russian nursery rhyme by a crocodile.

somebody needs to take care about the zoo...

p.s. alligators in Russia? :o Global warming?

23 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Taoists have been accurately predicting eclipses for 4,000 years (with only one fatal mistake that cost two court astronomers their heads when they failed to warn the fourth king of the Xia dynasty of an upcoming solar eclipse.)  

Maybe they had one of these machines invented by the Greeks:

55 minutes ago, 9th said:

Maybe they had one of these machines invented by the Greeks:

The Greeks "invented" everything courtesy of the Great Silk Road.  "The Greek miracle?"  Look what the arabs dragged in, pretty much.  Where did they drag it in from?  If we're talking science and technology, mostly from China.  If we're talking science and technology in China, that's mostly taoist endeavors.  And if we're talking their scientific instruments... the Antikythera Mechanism looks like a Western interpretation of a beginner's luopan. :) 

-3.jpg

Luopan-1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qicat said:

somebody needs to take care about the zoo...

p.s. alligators in Russia? :o Global warming?

Not alligator.  Crocodile.  In Russian, it rhymes with "swallowed."  And Russians are largely descended from the Vikings (the Rus tribe that invaded what is currently known as Western Russia in the 9th century and gave the land its name was Swedish) who traveled far and wide, reaching among other places the Mediterranean, where one could expect to encounter a crocodile or two brought from Africa.  Besides, some of those Rus folks were literate. :) 

-4.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2