Marblehead

Nietzsche Quotes

I couldn't find that other thread of Nietzsche so I am starting a new one of his quotes.  And the first one is:

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

• Like 8

'The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.'

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, morning dew said:

'The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.'

This one captures my current struggle, but freedom- the untrammeled freedom of Zhuangzi-is something I am committing my life too

• Like 3

I read somewhere that the masses are unscrupulously behaving in ways that any single individual would be ashamed of. But it takes strength to still be your true self when almost everybody around you thinks differently.

I am speaking from my own experience...

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Apeiron&Peiron said:

I recall a fan of Nietzsche saying that he was beyond suffering. Yet, reading some Nietzsche, I find a conflict:

(Hopefully you won't mind suffering the presence of this post in your thread :P:D)

You are the second person within a year to point this out to me.  I have never done a study to try to find where this became an understanding of his.

Nietzsche knew suffering.  Not only within his philosophy but his body as well.

Nietzsche also knew of Buddhist religion/philosophy and its concept of suffering.

So, right now I would agree the Nietzsche was not beyond suffering.

• Like 2

Well, that one didn't inspire any discussion.  Let's try another one.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!

Here's one of his, from "On Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense"

Deception, flattering, lying, deluding, talking behind the back, putting up a false front, living in borrowed splendor, wearing a mask, hiding behind convention, playing a role for others and for oneself — in short, a continuous fluttering around the solitary flame of vanity — is so much the rule and the law among men that there is almost nothing which is less comprehensible than how an honest and pure drive for truth could have arisen among them. They are deeply immersed in illusions and in dream images; their eyes merely glide over the surface of things and see "forms."

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Marblehead said:

Well, that one didn't inspire any discussion.  Let's try another one.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!

But if one's reasoning is sound, one's memory needn't be.

To the contrary as my age grows my memory shrinks, but in turn the depth of understanding increases. And my reasoning is improved by the richness of experience.

• Like 1

Agree.  My short term memory is really bad but the long term memory is still there.

I doubt I could justify with reason many of the opinions I have.  In most cases too many experiences fed what I now hold as opinion.

• Like 1

Stand for something or stand for nothing comes to mind.

With any luck having survived many experiences will lead to sound judgements.

Sound judgement is a precursor to wisdom...

• Like 1

On 22/08/2017 at 11:46 AM, Marblehead said:

Only sick music makes money today; ...

In all ages there is always the need to feed the slaves with vulgarity!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.

My boss hates that in me :D bless him!

• Like 2

This random quote reminds me of something old ZZ might have said, perhaps?

“In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the haughtiest and most mendacious minute of ‘world history’―yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened. For this intellect has no further mission that would lead beyond human life. It is human, rather, and only its owner and producer gives it such importance, as if the world pivoted around it. But if we could communicate with the mosquito, then we would learn that it floats through the air with the same self-importance, feeling within itself the flying center of the world.”

― Nietzsche, On Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I like you associating Nietzsche with Chuang Tzu.  I have been doing that for a very long time.

Yeah, I'm quite rusty on both. I guess there's overlap with them both being relativists.

On the other hand, I get the impression ZZ would see reality as a bit more benevolent, whereas Nietzsche would see it as more neutral/uncaring?

6 minutes ago, morning dew said:

Yeah, I'm quite rusty on both. I guess there's overlap with them both being relativists.

On the other hand, I get the impression ZZ would see reality as a bit more benevolent, whereas Nietzsche would see it as more neutral/uncaring?

Yeah, thinking on that, Nietzsche would be looking back to what he considered better days whereas Chuang Tzu would be looking at the moment and living it the best we can.

Both were lovers of their personal freedom and I consider them both to have been (personal) Anarchists.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, thinking on that, Nietzsche would be looking back to what he considered better days whereas Chuang Tzu would be looking at the moment and living it the best we can.

Yeah, I vaguely remember his Dionysian stuff. It's been so long since I looked at him properly.

With my comment I was kind of thinking of the way reality functions/Dao when I said 'reality' rather than the present moment. I don't seem to remember Nietzsche thinking there was a benevolent Dao?

10 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Both were lovers of their personal freedom and I consider them both to have been (personal) Anarchists.

Ah, yes, good point. Another thing I like about both of them. :) 

Edited by morning dew

1 minute ago, morning dew said:

Yeah, I vaguely remember his Dionysian stuff. It's been so long since I looked at him properly.

With my comment I was kind of thinking of the way reality functions/Dao when I said 'reality' rather than the present moment. I don't seem to remember Nietzsche thinking there was a benevolent Dao?

Yes, you pinned Nietzsche.  Remember, he declared God to be dead.  What will replace God?  The Superman (men), of course.

Those who walk their talk but rarely talk about it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, you pinned Nietzsche.  Remember, he declared God to be dead.  What will replace God?  The Superman (men), of course.

Those who walk their talk but rarely talk about it.

Yeah, I shall have to have a ponder about this when I get a chance on the weekend. :)  There's must be a contrast between Nietzsche's Superman and ZZ's superior man, because there is no benevolent Dao for Nietzsche. 

11 hours ago, morning dew said:

Yeah, I shall have to have a ponder about this when I get a chance on the weekend. :)  There's must be a contrast between Nietzsche's Superman and ZZ's superior man, because there is no benevolent Dao for Nietzsche. 

Yeah, it seems that Nietzsche ended up with "The Will to Power".  That is, one's own moral standards.  I get into arguments about this periodically because many people take this will to power as power over others but I think Nietzsche was referring to power over one's self.

• Like 1