Hancock

WTF are we?

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things.

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Zhuangzi

On reading this, it struck me that what is the 'thing' passing between the man and the butterfly that he is regarding as himself. What are really? 

I seem to be a field of awareness.

Within this field there seems another field, more dense...

and within this, yet more dense yet, an experience of this 'thing'

my parents told me it was 'me... my body'. 

But all I feel comfortable saying is that I seem to be a field of awareness.

How does a person move their consciousness, making it mobile and independent of a body?

Thank you all btw, great answers

40 minutes ago, Hancock said:

How does a person move their consciousness, making it mobile and independent of a body?

Think of it more as layers of awareness and expanding into those layers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kar3n said:

Think of it more as layers of awareness and expanding into those layers.

Oh-I-see-what-you-did-there.thumb.jpg.f8ffe4f7239916ad657e30262f224119.jpg

Even understanding it, how do I move my consciousness on purpose. Say between my body, an who I when I'm dreaming, or whatever part of me does remote viewing. How do I intentionally travel as a being of consciousness, like he did between being a butterfly and a man?

Edited by Hancock

If i remember correctly, you can find the answer in Franz Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics - Step IV. 

Practice

It is not sooo difficult to learn:

When meditating you can move your awareness to the corner of the room and then back.

Among other practices you can eventually come to fully and completely in a fully Awake awareness non-trance crystal clarity leave intact from the body. The visuals change somewhat and mind is left behind as one knows it but the autonomy is clear and striking - very very striking.

Astral travel by comparison is a breeze - (what I was describing above was not a reference to astral travel) - it may be what you believe you are looking for.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Remote viewing is much easier - along the lines of astral travel - there are many places this is taught and it is actually very easy by comparison - though for some it is easier than others. It is primarily a matter of learning to trust your sight.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

One can be quite adept at many things but if equanimity is what you seek then willfulness is what you will be examining.

when you have mastered dropping-it and adjusting things to your perspective- the frequencies you are positioned in - insisting -

equanimity will emerge in abidance.

equanimity is not found in the ability to fluxuate to the circumstance - it is non-insistence in the moment - no prewound inertia - neutrality - simply Being.

• Like 1

WTF are we?

what is the efficacy in findng a label - but a label that keeps moving and breaking free of its limitation - or one so loose that it has lost meaning in its timidity. 

We are "all and everything" - We are Now - We ARE. Are We?  Does God exist?  And who is the Sand Man?

there are only two types of insanity that have the "Answers" for you to these questions - fundamentalists and atheists.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

point of consciousness between existing and not existing.

Dreaming mind and waking mind collaborate the silent ever present awareness is aroused and we join with spirit to re establish unified mind, maybe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

point of consciousness between existing and not existing.

Dreaming mind and waking mind collaborate the silent ever present awareness is aroused and we join with spirit to re establish unified mind, maybe

Yeah, maybe.

• Like 2

I remember some years ago asking myself who am I and seeing this video which lead to some profound awakenings experiences. 

This may be just some new age b.s. for some but, well, I found some truths 

• Like 1

I sometimes go outside my body an see from another's perspective, but I'm not sure how to develop clarity in that capability except just keep practicing it. Problem is I need a target to project into, so I'm not free to explore. That's what I'm after, freedom to maneuver my consciousness in or out the body without depending on outside target or assistance.

21 hours ago, dawei said:

Did you ever wake up from a dream only to realize you are still in the dream :blink:

Yup and it was a game changer.

I had become lucid in a dreamonce , where I was grappling with a green skinned demon who had entered my home with a sword, to kill my wife and I.  The demon had the appearance of a young man who we were putting up in our home at the time.

The dream was set in the room I was sleeping in.

As I ended the fight, with the blade in the heart of this demon, the dream froze the moment the sword reached its heart and I woke up, opening my eyes in the 'real world'.

With my waking eyes, I was looking at my frozen dream self and the demon standing in the room with me.  I then realized I was in sleep paralysis and there was this incredibly menacing presence of a shadowy female... something that was so close to my left cheek, I could feel her.  She emanated hate, malice and ugly desire.

I could make no sound other than tiny whimpers, in spite of my intent to scream and wake the entire building.

When I finally managed to flex my right pinky finger, the paralysis broke, the dream ended and the vision faded, the presence dissolved and I got up rather shakily.

Edited by silent thunder
added phrase for clarity

According to traditions of Zen like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America, Theravada (Thai Forest), Dzogchen, and other Buddhist traditions maybe Empty of Self Awareness.

I know Shoryu Bradley, a Zen master likes to use the classic Zen phrase "Can not be defiled".