Sign in to follow this  
VanderLutz

Introduction

I'm a spiritual wanderer, wanderlust, (thus the name VanderLutz, also my moniker as an surface designer at Society6) It's also a play on my ancestral name, Lutz.

But that's just anecdotal fluff. The real reason I decided to join is that Buddhism resonates with me more than any other religion I've studied. Most recently I traveled to Thailand and learned a great deal about Theraveda Buddhism. I respect their more formal tenets of holding to Buddhist scripture, but am generally drawn to all Buddhist spirituality, mainly for the principle of the Middle Way and maintaining equanimity. Equanimity is becoming easier to achieve as I get older. I only wish that I could say the same for the world in that regard. The world is so out of balance now. So if there was just one reason for my wish to join this forum it would be to have an exchange with others in order to achieve and promote equanimity. 

• Like 2

Hello VanderLutz, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Vander,

Yeah, Buddhists have better success in finding harmony than the world in general is having right now.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

15 hours ago, VanderLutz said:

I'm a spiritual wanderer, wanderlust, (thus the name VanderLutz, also my moniker as an surface designer at Society6) It's also a play on my ancestral name, Lutz

Hi VanderLutz

At last a wandering soul.  Do you know Marblehead is a wondering Taoist?

Surface designer at Society6? Please enlighten. Thank you.

Very disrespectful to play with one's ancestral name. If I do so, my Dad will definitely kill me.

The real reason I decided to join is that Buddhism resonates with me more than any other religion I've studied.

Live and let live. To each his/her own. TDB is a Taoism based  platform, but operationally vibrant and tolerant. I am now here for close to five months. I like it lots..

Most recently I traveled to Thailand and learned a great deal about Theraveda Buddhism. I respect their more formal tenets of holding to Buddhist scripture ...

There are other Buddhist schoosl/domains too. Live and let live. To each his/her own.

(I) am generally drawn to all Buddhist spirituality, mainly for the principle of the Middle Way and maintaining equanimity.

Good for you - re Middle Way and equanimity

Equanimity is becoming easier to achieve as I get older.

But of course.

I only wish that I could say the same for the world in that regard

My wish too.  Let us garner more similar wishes for the world - OK?

The world is so out of balance now.

True, very sad. But what to do?

So if there was just one reason for my wish to join this forum it would be to have an exchange with others in order to achieve and promote equanimity

You and your equanimity are most welcome. Together let us all - exchange, achieve and promote equanimity.

A warm welcome - please don't wander away.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Buddhists have better success in finding harmony than the world in general is having right now

Hi Marblehead,

I am jumping onto the bandwagon to welcome newbies. I am now close to 5 months old. Still a long way to go forward.

Yes - it appears Buddhists' harmony "have better success".

Nice to have this noted from a wondering Taoist.

Now we have a wandering Buddhist in VanderLutz.

What a world.

- LimA

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VanderLutz said:

It's also a play on my ancestral name, Lutz.

But that's just anecdotal fluff.

Hi VanderLutz,

So - Lutz  =  Lust?

Vandering - a must?

You're here to last?

From dust to dust?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Hi Marblehead,

I would like to put it on record here that you are the initial reason why I chose to stay on at TDB when I was a newbie.

When I was new here, I wasn't particularly impressed with TDB - then it was to me a shindig of some sort. A place of too many possibilities - a messy bash spoilt for choice.

Then I noticed you ... Then some senoir members came on to nurture ... Then I got hooked.

Thank you and the senoirs.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.
  • Like 1

Yes, we are a very diverse bunch, aren't we?

I think you have found your comfort zone.  We all need that, I think.

And I have noticed that you occasionally get to mention your personal interests without even getting involved in threads that speak to that.

Just continue being your self.  And yes, I do read most of your posts, especially the ones in the "Welcome" sub-forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, we are a very diverse bunch, aren't we?

Good morning Marblehead,

"Diversity is the magic. It is the first manifestation, the first beginning of the differentiation of a thing and of simple identity. The greater the diversity, the greater the perfection." ~ Thomas Berry

I think you have found your comfort zone.  We all need that, I think.

I am in my comfort zone at TDB because there are high levels of trust and respect. I had a couple of brusque brushes though - but they only affected me momentarily.  If it is difficult for me to control my own mind, what about that of others? I use these words often in trying moments - (i) live and let live and (ii) to each his/her own. 

Variety the spice of life - I like spicy food. Hope I Peng can share some recipes soon.

I have noticed that you occasionally get to mention your personal interests without even getting involved in threads that speak to that.

As a piece of stone you are sharp.

I have indicated this in my maiden post on 31 March 2017:

"I got the green light to join The Dao Bums. Look forward to be bummy (aka chummy) with you all. I am into semen retention and would like to embark on the Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu, ... traditional paths - whatever they are. I hope to learn from fellow Bummies. Where am I now with respect to these traditional paths 'seminally'? I am still very much a newbie but have presently aligned myself thus - (i) Buddhism - impermanence, transience, ... (ii) Taoism - chi, yin/yang, duality ... (iii) Hinduism - prana, chakras, kundalini ... and (iv) ... When it comes to (iv), I like to find out what they are (or can be) at The Dao Bums.

Seminal cheers!".

At Theasurus:

Seminal = formative, inspirational, original, germinal, creative …

I had at times spoke of "jing => chi => shen". Personally I am now at peace with this progression. I do engage in conversations on this on a '1 to 1' basis. I started alone as a new kid on the "semen retention" block and remained so for many years. There were really challenging times without a teacher. But I am a survivor from age 8. I believe in the Spiritual Divine.

I was at the stage where seby223 is right now. Not easy to be thus. My only advice to him is (i) be kind to yourself (ii) go slow (iii) touch peaceful base with the mind (iv) check your motives (v) when a student is ready, a teacher will appear and (vi) discard certain book(s).

Just continue being your self. 

Yes, I will.

So far have crossed nice paths with many bummies:

(i) Proud to all these "brothers" - Sublimation, abdahorn, nohbody, Starjumper, silent thunder, Earl Grey, ...

(ii) And of course that "very naughty boy".

(iii) Marblehead - "dada"?

(iv) Still tickled pink when I recalled my Singlish postings with Earl Grey.

(v) Have started private emailing with a couple of bummies.

(vi) Looking forward to many more crossings with others.

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I do read most of your posts, especially the ones in the "Welcome" sub-forum.

Thank you Dada (OK?)

Why am I mostly at  "Welcome" sub-forum?

Because it is a fresh and breezy place - full of nascent expectations, thoughts, learning, knowledge, ...

A great weekend.

- LimA

• Like 1

Equanimity is the glue that holds the Brahmavihara together. May your time here aid your cultivation of loving- kindness, sympathetic joy, and compassion.

8 hours ago, Limahong said:

Thank you Dada (OK?)

I have been called things you likely wouldn't even be able to imagine.

57 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I have been called things you likely wouldn't even be able to imagine.

Hi Marblehead,

Great. Henceforth you are Dada.

A good weekend - Dada.

- LimA

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 10:36 AM, nohbody said:

Equanimity is the glue that holds the Brahmavihara together

Hi nohbody.

From WikipediaBrahmavihara pertains to these:

"The brahmavihāras (sublime attitudes, lit. "abodes of brahma") are a series of four Buddhist virtues and the meditation practices made to cultivate them. They are also known as the four immeasurables: - (i) loving-kindness or benevolence (II) compassion (iii) empathetic joy and (iv) equanimity".

Thank you for the Brahmavihara  introduction and the equanimity emphasis from VanderLutz.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:36 AM, nohbody said:

May your time here aid your cultivation of loving- kindness, sympathetic joy, and compassion.

Back at ya.

- LimA

Sign in to follow this