I Peng

New Member - Intro

Hello everyone,

I just recently stumbled upon this site and decided to become a member.  I'm looking for a place to discuss Taoism and internal martial arts with those who are also interested.

About me-

Currently I am a practitioner of baguazhang (cheng lineage), a Taoist mediator, and a modest scholar.  I also attempt to delve into the I Ching in order to better understand baguazhang and change.  Furthermore I have a great deal of experience in traditional Chinese cooking, Chinese herbs, an interest in traditional Chinese medicine, and speak Mandarin.

I look forward to navigating the different forum categories and seeing what this site has to offer!

• Like 4

Hello I Peng, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi I Peng,

I can talk with you about Taoist Philosophy.  Others here, I am sure, will speak with you of your other interests.

This site offers many translations of both Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu:  https://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/l.html

You will find many here willing to talk about various practices of meditation.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

3 hours ago, I Peng said:

Traditional Chinese cooking.

Hi I Peng,

Food!

Welcome, welcome, welcome ...

The way to my heart is true my stomach

- LimA

• Like 1

Welcome to the Bums, I Peng!

Sounds like you have a lot to offer, and will find many places to jump into conversation.
Looking forward to your input!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I Peng said:

I have a great deal of experience in traditional Chinese cooking

Hi again I Peng,

Please introduce to us your SIGNATURE dish.

- LimA

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

You have just indicated 'thanks'.

Are you waiting for I Peng's signature dish?

- LimA

Just now, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

You have just indicated 'thanks'.

Are you waiting for I Peng's signature dish?

- LimA

It's just something I do.  Anyone who welcomes and speak to a new member gets a "Thank You".

1 minute ago, Marblehead said:

Anyone who welcomes and speak to a new member gets a "Thank You"

Hi Marblehead,

I prefer something more tangible like food.

After how many such "Thank You", will I get a cookie?

- LimA

15 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

I prefer something more tangible like food.

After how many such "Thank You", will I get a cookie?

- LimA

No cookies.  We don't get more than we deserve.  I'm not running a welfare here.

10 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

We don't get more than we deserve.

Hi Marblehead,

But of course.

- LimA

3 hours ago, cheya said:

Welcome to the Bums, I Peng!

Sounds like you have a lot to offer, and will find many places to jump into conversation.
Looking forward to your input!

Thank you! I'm excited to learn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi again I Peng,

- LimA

This is a tough one!  I generally don't have a signature dish because I like to always be cooking something new.  However I do a great deal of spice work seeking to find a good taste balance supporting the health benefits of their inclusion.  I also utilize the 3/4s rule; where fresh vegetables, legumes, and plant based items make up three-quarters of the dish, with the remaining one-fourth being protein. 

Right now I've been working on my own version of Lo Han Jai, slowly experimenting on the inclusion of herbs that support the fostering of one's jing into the dish.  I'd like to balance a delicious and low cost dinner item with a vitamin rich, vegetarian food that is able to give maximum amounts of energy and support.  I think it would be the perfect option for those training in martial arts or seeking to grow deeper into fields of meditation.

• Like 1

If there is interest in Traditional cooking, I could do a weekly recipe post or something similar for those looking to try one's hand or learn more.  Chinese herbs are not always readily available however, so I will have to do some research into some options for those who may not have access to them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I Peng said:

slowly experimenting

Hi I Peng,

I exert that cooking can be equated with chemistry. I am a chemist.

Your take please as a cook,

- LimA

5 hours ago, I Peng said:

I could do a weekly recipe post or something similar for those looking to try one's hand or learn more. 

Hi Administers of TDB,

Good morning.

Any comments?

- LimA

Welcome bro to the daobums forums, don't look them in the eye an if they ask for change, keep walking.. just Kidding. Lol got a fine group of people here who love discussing and sharing knowledge and practical ways about many types of things, Taoism, martial arts, internal arts, a YouTube video that challenges us to open our minds a bit wider. The lightheartedness you'll find here is because many here are like a family, an now you're apart of it too. Welcome again

13 hours ago, I Peng said:

If there is interest in Traditional cooking, I could do a weekly recipe post or something similar for those looking to try one's hand or learn more.  Chinese herbs are not always readily available however, so I will have to do some research into some options for those who may not have access to them. 

They have Personal threads called PPD I think, you request one from an admin or mod. I'd be very interested in weekly recipes. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 2:28 PM, Limahong said:

Hi I Peng,

I exert that cooking can be equated with chemistry. I am a chemist.

Your take please as a cook,

- LimA

My apologies for responding a week late.

This could be answered simpliy, but I believe that something profound is lost in that case. 

I am not a chemist per se, however my school experience has led me through both advanced chemisty and organic chemistry. The simple and pleasing answer to hear is that cooking IS chemistry. So I must reply that by definition you are now both chemist and cook :) 

I find a list of similarities between the actions of a chemist and of a cook show this well:

Both will-

-carefully select materials or ingredients based upon their properties and effects

-both introduce heat to effect the phase state of elements and compounds

-both use liquids and aqueous solutions to separate and combine compounds

-both have pride and passion for their work as well. 

I hope thia answers your question, from the view of a cook, and a humble amateur chemist. 

Here is an update for those that were curious about a weekly recipe thread. 

It should be a possibility in the next two weeks. Mainly I'm trying to decided what information is best to include, while not overloading those with moderate experience. I hope to have the first two weeks planned out and will be contacting a mod/admin about the forum section listed above later this week. Thank you all for the interest!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 6:34 AM, I Peng said:

This could be answered simpliy, but I believe that something profound is lost in that case.

Hi I Peng,

Nice to note that the originator of this thread s picking up the guantlet. Simplicity - appreciated; loss in profundity - of no concern.

I am not a chemist per se, however my school experience has led me through both advanced chemisty and organic chemistry.

In this thread it is 'chemistry' over 'chemist'. Have noted your advanced chemistry. Good to note your chemistry is not backward.

The simple and pleasing answer to hear is that cooking IS chemistry.

But of course. Have noted your 'IS'.

So I must reply that by definition you are now both chemist and cook :) 

I am flattered. Thank you. So are you - same same?

I find a list of similarities between the actions of a chemist and of a cook show this well:

Both will-

-carefully select materials or ingredients based upon their properties and effects

-both introduce heat to effect the phase state of elements and compounds

-both use liquids and aqueous solutions to separate and combine compounds

-both have pride and passion for their work as well.

I totally agree with your astute deliberation. Very liberating.

But there are difference though e.g. (i) cooks don't experiment with cyanide (ii) cooks - Michelin snobs (iii) cooks spell/smell closer to 'crooks' (iv) cooks prone towards food poisoning (v) ...

I hope this answers your question, from the view of a cook, and a humble amateur chemist.

Yes. Thank you. Very well accepted by a chemist and fumbling professional crook.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:38 AM, I Peng said:

Here is an update for those that were curious about a weekly recipe thread. 

Good culinary news.

It should be a possibility in the next two weeks. Mainly I'm trying to decided what information is best to include, while not overloading those with moderate experience.

You are thoughtful - full of food for thoughts.

I hope to have the first two weeks planned out and will be contacting a mod/admin about the forum section listed above later this week.

Keeping our finger/toes crossed.

Thank you all for the interest!

In return we thank you for your interest in us.

- LimA