Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

The limits of free speech

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I won't get into this with you but wanted to let you know that I read it.  We just made peace a few hours ago and I don't want to break that.

We have different opinions.  That's fine.

Cool by me bro. Hey as I kinda listen more to Blue Cheer, I can see why you like some songs.

I've no problem discussing views, it's when the underhanded barbs come into play I don't let it slide. We aren't our view of tge world, or our opinion of it, is one of my firm beliefs.

That being said, remember this? I loved this show an theme song

• Like 1

net speech is the new free speech but does not fall under the first amendment. 

Its not protected.  

The real danger of losing "free" speech its not covered nor protected by 1st amendment is here now. 

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hancock said:

Cool by me bro. Hey as I kinda listen more to Blue Cheer, I can see why you like some songs.

I've no problem discussing views, it's when the underhanded barbs come into play I don't let it slide. We aren't our view of tge world, or our opinion of it, is one of my firm beliefs.

That being said, remember this? I loved this show an theme song

Yep, I have said a couple times here on TDB that I find times when I must remain silent.

Nice you are giving Blue Cheer further listening.  

Yes, I know the song well but not from Buck Rogers.  I have it in my collection.  The original by West Coast Pop Art Band.

And speaking of music, do you know this guy?  Chicago Blues #1 (IMO) man.

Spoiler

One man band most of the time.  His foot the beat, guitar the rhythm and the harmonica the lead instrument between vocals.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I won't get into this with you but wanted to let you know that I read it.  We just made peace a few hours ago and I don't want to break that.

We have different opinions.  That's fine.

You likely post way too much... but the good news is, some of your posts are worth reading :D

now... waiting for your posted response :P

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Not very interesting though, just listening to someone being silent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yep, I have said a couple times here on TDB that I find times when I must remain silent.

Nice you are giving Blue Cheer further listening.  

Yes, I know the song well but not from Buck Rogers.  I have it in my collection.  The original by West Coast Pop Art Band.

And speaking of music, do you know this guy?  Chicago Blues #1 (IMO) man.

Hide contents

One man band most of the time.  His foot the beat, guitar the rhythm and the harmonica the lead instrument between vocals.

On the Blue Cheer comment, I like to give things a thorough chance before saying definitively if I like them or not. It's growing on me. 

Yeah that song Suspension is real hip.

No I'm not familiar with blues much. But it was good listening, I enjoy old timely music sometimes.

As to the person who posted Morgan Freeman saying to not discuss racism, it might've been misunderstood on their part. However here is the one I think gets his point across on views of race in a more accurate fashion. He's saying dignity for everyone regardless an true equality beyond race. That's what ive been saying and why I discuss my experiences on race,to bring to light the stuff that exist an share a solution on stopping it. Morgan Freeman explains it better in this clip than I have.

Well, one more Blues lesson for the day.

There is actually another side of Chicago Blues beside Jimmy Reed's adaptation of Delta Blues.

Best example, IMO, is this man:

Spoiler

Okay, the song is Rock 'n' Roll but that's one style of music he performed.  He also did Blues and Jazz.  His style of blues evolved out of the 1940's Big Band Swing music.

Here's a good Blues song from him:

Spoiler

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Well, one more Blues lesson for the day.

There is actually another side of Chicago Blues beside Jimmy Reed's adaptation of Delta Blues.

Best example, IMO, is this man:

Hide contents

Okay, the song is Rock 'n' Roll but that's one style of music he performed.  He also did Blues and Jazz.  His style of blues evolved out of the 1940's Big Band Swing music.

Here's a good Blues song from him:

Hide contents

Man I knew I had old dance moves but watching that, it's like seeing myself dance an i really need to up my game lol

It was decent, I might look more into it. The best songs to me are ones I tie memories too or experiences I identify with, or find meaning in for myself through abstract artistic interpretation.

That being said the way he projects just the second one, it brings memories and feelings about in an almost hauntingly bittersweet way.

I appreciate the sharing of these gems, Marblehead.

• Like 1

"The government is tottering. We must deal it the death blow at any cost. To delay action is the same as death."

Vladimir Lenin

"The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses."
Vladimir Lenin

• Like 1

"There are no morals in politics; there is only expedience. A scoundrel may be of use to us just because he is a scoundrel."

Vladimir Lenin

"Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever."

Vladimir Lenin

3 hours ago, Brian said:

"The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses."
Vladimir Lenin

"America, the land of the free, still has restrictions on who can own a broadcast TV or radio station. But the rules could soon be relaxed, and the implications could be far reaching.

The country’s communications regulator, the FCC, will next month review rules in place in since the 1950s that restrict foreigners from owning more than 25% of a free television broadcaster or radio station. To get around this, Australian-born billionaire Rupert Murdoch in 1985 became a naturalized US citizen when he wanted to expand his media empire stateside.

Murdoch bought Metromedia, the largest owner of independent television stations in the US at the time. (Even still, because his company, News Corporation, was headquartered in Australia back then, the purchase wasn’t fully cleared for another 10 years.)"

https://qz.com/139743/america-is-looking-to-relax-the-rule-that-spurred-rupert-murdoch-to-become-a-us-citizen/

Edited by windwalker

32 minutes ago, windwalker said:

"America, the land of the free, still has restrictions on who can own a broadcast TV or radio station. But the rules could soon be relaxed, and the implications could be far reaching.

The country’s communications regulator, the FCC, will next month review rules in place in since the 1950s that restrict foreigners from owning more than 25% of a free television broadcaster or radio station. To get around this, Australian-born billionaire Rupert Murdoch in 1985 became a naturalized US citizen when he wanted to expand his media empire stateside.

Murdoch bought Metromedia, the largest owner of independent television stations in the US at the time. (Even still, because his company, News Corporation, was headquartered in Australia back then, the purchase wasn’t fully cleared for another 10 years.)"

https://qz.com/139743/america-is-looking-to-relax-the-rule-that-spurred-rupert-murdoch-to-become-a-us-citizen/

Curious, isn't it, that the federal government simply decided it owns broad swaths of the electromagnetic spectrum and it gets to decide who can use light, when and how?

I don't recall the States ever granting the delegation of such authority.

• Like 2

"The so-called paradox of freedom is the argument that freedom in the sense of absence of any constraining control must lead to very great restraint, since it makes the bully free to enslave the meek. The idea is, in a slightly different form, and with very different tendency, clearly expressed in Plato.
Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant , if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion , suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal , in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal."

- Karl Popper

The Open Society and its Enemies 

• Like 1

Curious that this is happening in the USA at this very moment, a part of society black-washing the history of the USA in order to make it appear politically correct.

If we don't remember our mistakes we are bound to repeat them.

The paradox of freedom; the paradox of tolerance.

The end results are lies.

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Curious that this is happening in the USA at this very moment, a part of society black-washing the history of the USA in order to make it appear politically correct.

If we don't remember our mistakes we are bound to repeat them.

The paradox of freedom; the paradox of tolerance.

The end results are lies.

It's always been lies,power washed to serve power and the status quo that supports power.  But we all seem to have our preferences.

• Like 2

out lines how what is called free is not so free 

"5 news sources control 90% of all news in the US."

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this