Sign in to follow this  
Rara

Lionel and Herbert Giles Translations

Short and sweet question - is anyone familiar with these two? I'm currently reading some translations from TTC and Zhuangzi which have been translated by them and wonder if you have any opinions.

I only ask because they seem more "westernised", different again from others that I've read. However, they're quite accessible and a joy to read because of that! 

Edited by Rara

I can't speak to Lionel but yes, Giles' translation is very "Westernized".  But then, he was one of the first to translate The Chuang Tzu into English so we can't be too critical.

• Like 1

@Marblehead Thanks, so are they genereally considered accurate enough? I just did a bit of reading up on them and they seem to be generally approved with the odd-criticism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rara said:

@Marblehead Thanks, so are they genereally considered accurate enough? I just did a bit of reading up on them and they seem to be generally approved with the odd-criticism.

Yes, Giles is a valid translation, IMO.  The only thing to watch for is the use of Western concepts to express Chinese concepts.  I think could present a false understanding of the Chinese concept.

I had the same problem when I first started reading F. Nietzsche.  Any closed-minded Christian would incorrectly translate the original German into something that ended up presenting Nietzsche's thought/concepts into something negative.

This is why I prefer a literal translation, rather than figurative, from other languages into English, the only language I am somewhat capable of reading and comprehending.

• Like 1

@Marblehead Great :) I was reading the introductions to both the philosophers and they are pretty clear about Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu being actual people with jobs, having written the works etc, so I just wanted to see some opinions here. Of course, the other translations I've read have had introductions that have been a little less sure, so with that and the "very easy" read in comparison to others, I felt it was good to ask!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 10:41 AM, Rara said:

Short and sweet question - is anyone familiar with these two? I'm currently reading some translations from TTC and Zhuangzi which have been translated by them and wonder if you have any opinions.

I only ask because they seem more "westernised", different again from others that I've read. However, they're quite accessible and a joy to read because of that! 

I think I have one pdf and I saw one in the library. What I can tell you that most of those translators and even today sinologists, they all had and still have an Chinese informant or even Chinese students who have a good knowledge of the old books or canons. As a beginner, I started to get more closer to the original text and what the commentaries say based on western resources or studies. Ideally is to have a native speaker and scholar but is not easy to find. I don't believe in "that sounds good to my ear" as long as you are only interested to hear what you want to hear. I would say read them, ask questions and read other English translations and see what works for you. Good luck!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this