Sign in to follow this  
emptycup

where to start

Hi! I've been practicing a bit of qigong the past 2 years. I first discovered taichi and wushu back in 2005 and I've been drawn to learning more about these movements. I discovered ShengZhen qigong in 2012 and I love the gracefulness and peace that it brings me when I do it. I also met someone who is a qigong teacher who taught me a bit about fragrant qigong, flying phoenix, golden flower.That's how I learned about the dao bums. I also like shibashi.

I've been wanting to really take it on as a regular practice but I don't know where to start. Is it alright to mix practices? What do you suggest for someone who is new?

I realize, I need to put aside my expectations and see where the Dao will lead me. Just want to get some words of wisdom and insights in terms of venturing into this discipline. What is important to keep in mind? 

Thank you! :-) I'm looking forward to learning and sharing in this community. 

• Like 1

Hello emptycup, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi emptycup,

Where to start?  At the beginning.  What is important to keep in mind?  Keep your cup empty.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Welcome to TTB.  What practice do you resonate with most? Pick that one and do it....a lot. You might also enjoy the interviews section of the forum. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Keep your cup empty.

Hi Marblehead,

I beg to differ.

The cup must run over with love:

Yes/no?

- LimA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WayofChi said:

Welcome to TTB.  What practice do you resonate with most? Pick that one and do it....a lot. You might also enjoy the interviews section of the forum. 

I resonate with ShengZhen qigong. I also like shibashi. Are there discussions for these forms? Thank you for the tip WayofChi! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, emptycup said:

I resonate with ShengZhen qigong. I also like shibashi. Are there discussions for these forms? Thank you for the tip WayofChi! 

You may wish to do a search of the forum for old threads on them and if there is nothing you may want to post a thread starting a discussion. I am personally not familiar with these methods. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I don't talk much about love.  We can talk about understanding and awareness though.

Hi Marblehead,

Sure. To each his/her own. It is a real divided world we live in.

So any kind of humaneness that builds bridges is fine with me.

Comforted by - "I don't talk much ...". Why?

Because these are living Taoist dichotomies (seeking dynamic balances):

- love/hate, much/little, right/left, right/wrong, talk/don't talk, ...

No right. No wrong.

I did not differ, I begged to differ.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.
  • Like 2

Welcome. I know there are discussions on all the styles you mentioned. I also think it's a good idea to pick a practice that doesn't just resonate as a form, but you have a good teacher and community that goes along with it too. 

Your Qigong teacher sounds like he knows an eclectic mix of styles. He must be very handsome and talented too. B)

• Like 3

On 8/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, emptycup said:

I need to put aside my expectations and see where the Dao will lead me

Hi emptycup,

It will be interesting to know how you will "see where the Dao will lead" you.

You are putting aside your expectations. So are you going with the flow?

Per a flow, are you focused on - (i) the journey, (ii) the destination or (iii) both?

emptycup = the Void?

- LimA

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Welcome. I know there are discussions on all the styles you mentioned. I also think it's a good idea to pick a practice that doesn't just resonate as a form, but you have a good teacher and community that goes along with it too. 

Your Qigong teacher sounds like he knows an eclectic mix of styles. He must be very handsome and talented too. B)

Caused me laughter but I "Thank You"ed the post anyhow.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Hehe still want to be anonymous but you caught me!! :P hahaha fine fine fine. I will listen to my teacher even if his styles are a bit harder and I complain that I can't do it!!  

I guess, that's why I need to empty my cup. Or maybe, to think that there is no cup but a lot of possibilities. And hopefully, at some point in time I will be as confident as my teacher is and I'll figure out my flow. :)

Edited by emptycup
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi emptycup,

It will be interesting to know how you will "see where the Dao will lead" you.

You are putting aside your expectations. So are you going with the flow?

Per a flow, are you focused on - (i) the journey, (ii) the destination or (iii) both?

emptycup = the Void?

- LimA

Hi LimA, 

Thank you for your video! It has this Moana feel to it haha reminded me of the volcano story before the movie.

I think it's dancing with the Dao. It's not so much of a destination as to being an ongoing journey.

I'm putting aside feeling that I have 2 left feet by just showing up and practicing.

I'm motivated by the horizon and the possibilities but I also want to find joy in the dance/flow even if there are days when it's an effort to do so especially since I'm new. Hoping to get more motivation from engaging in this community too:)

emptycup = reminder for myself to empty my cup and to suspend judgment

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emptycup said:

Video ... has this Moana feel

Hi emptycup,

Howdy? What is a Moana feel? I know what it is like to feel moanful.

19 minutes ago, emptycup said:

I think it's dancing with the Dao.

I have not thought of dancing with the Dao till now. Thank you.

22 minutes ago, emptycup said:

It's not so much of a destination as to being an ongoing journey.

We are on the same page.

24 minutes ago, emptycup said:

I'm putting aside feeling that I have 2 left feet by just showing up and practicing.

I had the same positive jive when I was learning to dance until this was told in my face - can you stop behaving as if you are moving a refrigerator around? Some people are such discouraging idiots!

36 minutes ago, emptycup said:

I'm motivated by the horizon and the possibilities.

Why not the vertical? You have problem with gravity?

38 minutes ago, emptycup said:

I also want to find joy in the dance/flow even if there are days when it's an effort to do so especially since I'm new.

Yes - joy when things move. Effort & new -  very natural; don't  forget that you were once a very cute baby.

45 minutes ago, emptycup said:

Hoping to get more motivation from engaging in this community too:)

Same with me.

46 minutes ago, emptycup said:

emptycup = reminder for myself to empty my cup and to suspend judgment

WOW! Deep.

- LimA

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, emptycup said:

I've been wanting to really take it on as a regular practice but I don't know where to start. Is it alright to mix practices? What do you suggest for someone who is new?

On 8/15/2017 at 8:32 AM, emptycup said:

Hehe still want to be anonymous but you caught me!! :P hahaha fine fine fine. I will listen to my teacher even if his styles are a bit harder and I complain that I can't do it!!  

Hi emptycup,

What's going on?

I am not a busybody; just a busy mind.

- LimA

Sign in to follow this