First awarded in 1921, the Archibald, Australia’s most recognised art prize, is judged by the trustees of the Art Gallery of NSW and awarded annually to the best portrait, “preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in art, letters, science or politics, painted by any artist resident in Australasia”.

Tjungkara Ken, from Amata from Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands (APY) in South Australia’s far North West, decided to paint a self potrait and enter the competition ;

b607333875869bf412246acc8843ba67?width=650

Its her 'country' her 'dreaming' as she explained . I am not just what you see here , I am part of that country and that dreaming. Any portrait of myself  should show all of me . not just what you see here .  ( In the interview filmed at a place that isnt her 'homeland' . 

.  Some have said it isnt a portrait but a landscape .  Apparently the  art judges didnt think so and accepted it . 

This year, nine APY Lands artists are among the 42 finalists for the Wynne, which is held concurrently with the Archibald Prize. Their art seems to be taking off . 

Image result for Tjungkara Ken artworks

Image result for Tjungkara Ken artworks

Related image

Tjungkara Ken

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 10

That is stunning.

She painted the landscape and her portrait. 

They are not separate, not mutually exclusive.

Really powerful.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 5

It is a portrait and a landscape...

For one who recognizes her true self, it is a portrait.

For one who remains tied to their separation from the land, it is a landscape.

Either way, I find it wonderful and inspiring.

Here is a beautiful painting from the APY lands called Ngayuku Ngura Kuuti Uwankara (My Country's Energy and Spirit is everywhere)

831293.JPG

The artist is Rosalind Tjanyari 

Rosalind-Tjanyari-v2.jpg?itok=EtU4c_TA

For anyone living in the US, there is a wonderful museum that is entirely dedicated to Aboriginal art and is a part of the University of Virginia. It is the Kluge-Ruhe museum in Charlottesville, Virginia. I highly recommend a visit if you are in the area. 

• Like 5

Although original aboriginal art was generally imprinted directly on Nature (petroglyphs), and not on rectilinear canvases...

aboriginal_rock_art_01.jpg

Which is yet another artificial, rectilinear framing superceding our natural field of vision, which is more of a buttprint shape without really hard borders...

a_02_cr_vis_1c.jpg220px-Field_of_view.svg.png

Remember, even "Yeshua" was (allegedly) constantly persecuted and eventually crucified for violating various "laws."  So his crucifixion on the rectilinear cross symbolized the initial "triumph" of this square cult in overriding "Divine Nature."

52d0f90f054e1ec130dcf9f5f0e63f64--crucif

But of course, Man's "laws" are actually misnomers because in science, a law cannot be broken.  And if it can be, then it has been effectively disproven and is thus no longer truly a law.  Therefore, a manmade law can never truly supercede a natural one.  Hence, Yeshua still "rose again" in the end...

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1