Sign in to follow this  
Wannabezenmaster

Mostly Mindful Middle School Librarian

A new online acquaintance suggested I join this group.  I have worked for 7 years as a middle school librarian in very poor neighborhoods.  I started a mindfulness practice to cope with the spike in emotional and workload demands compared to public and university libraries.  

There is so much raw emotion and lack of civility, as there is also great joy and friendship.  I needed a new way to 'hold' it while being a role model and without resorting to punitive discipline, which is common in desperation.

In addition to the unordained teachers (people being difficult and very needy) that give me plenty of opportunity for practice, I listen and read Thich Nhat Hanh and many of the widely known secular mindfulness gurus like Rick Hanson and Tara Brach.

I see a mindfulness based cognitive behavioral therapist once a month and she has been very good, especially as my first mindfulness teacher for the classic MBSR.

Most of my discussions with practitioners outside classes have been live and geared toward applicability and arising of teachings in the context of our lives rather than pure book-studies.  Moving from intellectualistic interpretation of spirituality, a remnant of growing up with a historical religion where the Word was all, toward an intuitive, emotional path with the 'how to' that Buddhism offers has been transforming.   Yet as I have become more in touch with emotions, it has made me pickier in dating men who also can have a healthier relationship with their emotional lives.  Not numb, not over-identification, but recognition.  

As for weekly practice, I am in a discussion group at The Unity Center and recently a small sangha of suburbanites who follow along with Thich Nhat Hanh nuns and monks' interpretations of his works.

I am currently taking my second course with Mindfulschools.org and acquiring a solid curriculum to teach secular mindfulness for students K12 in another year.

• Like 8

Hello Wannabezenmaster, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Wannabe,

Yes, I imagine your work can be just as trying as is a teacher's work.  You will fine many here willing to give you suggesting regarding what you spoke to.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

On 7/26/2017 at 3:22 AM, Wannabezenmaster said:

There is so much raw emotion and lack of civility, as there is also great joy and friendship.  I needed a new way to 'hold' it while being a role model and without resorting to punitive discipline, which is common in desperation.

Hi Wannabezenmaster,

You are in the midst of challenging realities where in situ understanding is key and tops everything. You can always walk away but you choose to stay. My SALUTE.

I have worked for 7 years as a middle school librarian in very poor neighborhoods.

I am humbled by your courage to serve where it is "raw-lly" needed.

I started a mindfulness practice to cope with the spike in emotional and workload demands

I believe you have started right. Hang in there.

The unordained teachers (people being difficult and very needy) that give me plenty of opportunity for practice, I listen and read ...

... and help - yes/no?

I see a mindfulness based cognitive behavioral therapist once a month and she has been very good ...

Very good. But after a while listen to your heart. You are you.

Most of my discussions with practitioners outside classes have been live and geared toward applicability and arising of teachings in the context of our lives rather than pure book-studies

True application of knowledge. Very wise. Are you answering a CALLING? 

Moving from intellectualistic interpretation of spirituality, a remnant of growing up with a historical religion where the Word was all, toward an intuitive, emotional path with the 'how to' that Buddhism offers has been transforming

Again: 

True application of knowledge. Very wise. Are you answering a CALLING? 

Yet as I have become more in touch with emotions, it has made me pickier in dating men who also can have a healthier relationship with their emotional lives.

Not only men. People in general. Yes/no?

Not numb, not over-identification, but recognition.

But of course.

As for weekly practice, I am in a discussion group at The Unity Center and recently a small sangha of suburbanites who follow along with Thich Nhat Hanh nuns and monks' interpretations of his works.

Perhaps there are many interpretations - depending on whose perspectives/realities?

I am currently taking my second course with Mindfulschools.org and acquiring a solid curriculum to teach secular mindfulness for students K12 in another year.

All good wishes.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.

2 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

The school is lucky to have you. I wish you love, compassion, courage and strength as you quietly heal the world around you.

Hi Lost in Transation,

With your choice of words in the above quote, anyone whom you are empathising with will be able to feel the compassion in you. I can quietly feel it right now the heaing you have in mind.

I started a mindfulness practice to cope with the spike in emotional and workload demands ...

Hi Wannabezenmaster,

Does your mindfulness practice encompasses Lost in Translation's compassion as an element?

- LimA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

.....  as you quietly heal the world around you.

Good morning Lost in Translation,

Are these what you had in mind when you wished Wannabezenmaster well?

mamapeterson: “ For this #MotivationalMonday I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has already participated in our represent.com/jared campaign. Together we’re inspiring an #AKF movement....

Top Ten Quotes Of The Day

A great weekend.

- LimA

2 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Um,... not exactly. It's more like these ...

Hi Lost in Translation,

Thank you. Now I know "where/who" is your context - with Mulan as exemplary amongst other great flowers in adversity.

Some of these great flowers have to brave rainy nights too:

(Please play the video till the end)

But these flowers are not fallen petals on the ground the next morning.

They still bloom from the ground:

the-flower-that-blooms-in-adversity-life-quotes-sayings-pictures.jpg

- LimA

Sign in to follow this