Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Gurdjieff Dances

The movements are intriguing and may be based on Pythagoras. Hopefully someone here has more knowledge than I and can comment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ralis said:

The movements are intriguing and may be based on Pythagoras. Hopefully someone here has more knowledge than I and can comment.

So you're comment and the Pythagorean title - jarred my memory.

There is someone who did their Ph.d. on Plato mathematics and then argued that the Homeric epics are actually dance songs.

I think that was correct - and so he somehow claimed to reconstruct the meters and dances from the poetry.

It seemed a big haphazard but you gotta admire his claim.

I'll track that down.

http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199292400.001.0001/acprof-9780199292400

Yeah - he goes by A.P. David but in fact his name is East Indian I think.

the proper name for the art and work of ancient poets in both epic and lyric, described by Plato as a synthesis of dance rhythm and vocal harmony, in disagreement moving toward agreement. The book offers a thorough-going treatment of Homeric poetics: here some remarkable discoveries in the harmonic movement of epic verse, when combined with some neglected facts about the origin of the hexameter in a ‘dance of the Muses’, lead to essential new thinking about the genesis and the form of Homeric poetry.

So then he has videos of training people to perform the dances.

I just mention this in comparison. The Gurdjieff dances actually seem to use Tai Chi principles - so if you read my pdf - I relate how the left hand is yang against the lower body yin and the right hand is yin against the upper body yang.

So the Gurdjieff dance you posted - notice that they alternative the hands with the upper and lower body. So one hand will be tapping the lower body while the other hand is moving on the upper body. Then this switches.

So that is utilizing this yin-yang secret - or what Gurdjieff called the Law of Three. So that's pretty cool.

Actually some Gurdjieff expert read my Gurdjieff Taoist articles - and he agreed with what I stated about Gurdjieff. He posted his comment - a long comment on someone's facebook page.

Yeah so I just searched my name, gurdjieff facebook and got the hit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/realself/permalink/965222746941881/

15 comments.

the correlations between G's alchemical processes and that of yoga are fairly accurate, imo, having engaged in both.

Martin Lass
Martin Lass "The third force beyond yin and yang, the source of the I-thought or the source of the Pythagorean One, known as the Goddess Harmonia, is what I call “female formless awareness.”"

Yes.

Martin Lass "So again the diatonic Pythagorean scale that Gurdjieff gives is based on the Law of Three — the negative and positive centers as he calls it or the Perfect 4th/Perfect 5th harmonics which create what’s known in the West as the “comma of Pythagoras” — the deviation from symmetry causing the shocks of full energy transduction."

Yes, apart from the different language, this is a common understanding in G circles, not unknown as the author is trying to suggest.

Martin Lass "As meditation is practiced Gurdjieff focuses on the conscious sublimation of sex energy — or as Taoist Yoga explains, normally the yang prenatal vitality of the yin generative force is lost when it turns into generative fluid — semen. Gurdjieff states, with emphasis in the original: “It is the lower centers that are undeveloped. And it is precisely this lack of development, or the incomplete functioning, of the lower centers that prevents us from making use of the work of the higher centers.” So when we focus on the Law of Pythagoras through meditation, the sound of our thoughts resonate into ultrasound thereby ionizing the electrochemical heat of the lower body and turning the generative force (the mechanical shock) into the alchemical agent — or prenatal vitality."

Yep.

Martin Lass
Martin Lass "As the jing is cleansed through the kidneys and purified through the heart it turns into electromagnetic energy or chi — what Gurdjieff calls the higher emotional, middle center, hydrogen 12, as sublimated sexual energy. Finally the electromagnetic energy builds up from enough electrochemical fire to cause the brain’s pineal gland or third eye to get hot and full of electromagnetic energy, so that light or shen — the spirit body — can be created. This is Gurdjieff’s hydrogen 6. At this point full-lotus yoga can be practiced since the energy channels are open, with a natural resonating free energy of yin-yang awareness."

Yes, this is an I understand/experience it.

Martin Lass "Gurdjieff does an excellent job of explaining that the West tries to start with hydrogen 6 — as mind yoga — without consciously developing hydrogen 12 — this is the “weak yogi” problem. Gurdjieff explains: “We must learn how to draw energy straight from the large accumulator. This however is possible only with the help of the emotional center. It is essential that this be understood. The connection with the large accumulator can be effected only through the emotional center.” Then there’s the “stupid saint” problem — the higher emotions are developed without any intentional awareness of how these emotions are related to the lower energy center which is the foundation of the practice — what Gurdjieff calls the creation of “mi 12.” This is why Gurdjieff stated that his teaching is the “fourth way” — beyond just instinctual mortification exercises, stupid emotional rituals, and weak mind exercises."

Absolutely.

29 minutes ago, voidisyinyang said:

So you're comment and the Pythagorean title - jarred my memory.

There is someone who did their Ph.d. on Plato mathematics and then argued that the Homeric epics are actually dance songs.

I think that was correct - and so he somehow claimed to reconstruct the meters and dances from the poetry.

It seemed a big haphazard but you gotta admire his claim.

I'll track that down.

http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199292400.001.0001/acprof-9780199292400

Yeah - he goes by A.P. David but in fact his name is East Indian I think.

So then he has videos of training people to perform the dances.

I just mention this in comparison. The Gurdjieff dances actually seem to use Tai Chi principles - so if you read my pdf - I relate how the left hand is yang against the lower body yin and the right hand is yin against the upper body yang.

So the Gurdjieff dance you posted - notice that they alternative the hands with the upper and lower body. So one hand will be tapping the lower body while the other hand is moving on the upper body. Then this switches.

So that is utilizing this yin-yang secret - or what Gurdjieff called the Law of Three. So that's pretty cool.

Actually some Gurdjieff expert read my Gurdjieff Taoist articles - and he agreed with what I stated about Gurdjieff. He posted his comment - a long comment on someone's facebook page.

Yeah so I just searched my name, gurdjieff facebook and got the hit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/realself/permalink/965222746941881/

15 comments.

Emotional center as in solar plexus?

2 minutes ago, ralis said:

Emotional center as in solar plexus?

The facebook comment states:

Martin Lass
Martin Lass "The three energy centers of Gurdjieff’s system — moving, emotional, and thought — are the same as the three tan tiens (energy centers or alchemical cauldrons) of taoist yoga qigong: lower belly, middle heart, and higher mind for jing, chi and shen."

Hmm, not exactly. G's moving centre is primarily in the spine, which accords with physiology, the emotional centre is in the solar plexus, although it rises as we evolve the energies into the chest and, later, into the throat, and the thinking centre, of course, is in the head.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this