CloudHands

How would you define your country ?

Hi, I'm very curious about how do you feel about your own country, your personal non-objective opinion... How would you define it ? What do you like or dislike in your culture ? For big countries it's welcome to focus (or not) on your region/state/land.

Pictures, sounds, music are also very welcome. Let's make each us travel cheap :)

I think it is well established that I am an American and I love my country.

Also well established, I think, is that I feel my country, and especially the politicians, have been travelling the wrong road for many years.

Aside from that, no other country on the planet has the diversity as has the USA.  From sea to shining sea and all that stuff.  Soon it could be "from wall to big ass wall".

• Like 3

I find that a strange question for me at the moment. I live in England, although I'm more British than English. 10 years ago I was happy to say I was European as well, but that put me in the minority. Now, I'm not European.

Now, English / British - British / English? there is a difference.

But how do I define my country? It's where I grew up and is where I'm familiar. I've lived abroad and learnt how to appreciate all the things I missed, far more than I could ever have realised.

Ultimately, it is a very personal thing, so I can't really define it right now, may be in a later post ...

• Like 2

I do not have a country maybe someday I could answer this question. If I did identify myself with a country it would be the best. 

• Like 1

Too wet, cold and muddy, too full of people. A lot of those boring.

but feel rooted here. Would not go away to a sunnier place cause it seems that I belong here.

• Like 3

I would describe the USA as "being in the process of being sold".

It is being broken up and sold off in parts.

White collar mafia with Evengelical backing - and actual mafia.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

I live in the Southern Appalachian Highlands.  Geographically, it includes Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, a corner of Georgia, and a bit of Kentucky & West Virginia.  The region has a wonderfully diverse biosphere and a distinct culture (although both are being negatively impacted by the "progress of civilization").

A picture or two...

fall7.jpg

farmers_cataloocheeranch1.jpg

zgsogubec61bbqs3d9ky.jpg

Hero.jpg

arrs0003_0054_0002.jpg

4386c18793f9e15989d97f5e5408a637--gatlin

3623057_f260.jpg

91d815f37bd59f62bbf964d20f846adc--americ

That cat sure picked some fine claw-hammer banjo!

tumblr_nr0mr9zlso1uao54ao1_500.jpg

• Like 8

what in the world is the broom doing on the roof? good storage maybe

plus one of the pics toward the end looks like old school moonshine in background

very nice-

just like home

especially soda pop talk

the sound of the birds and the rising mist over the hills-

Edited by sagebrush
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

what in the world is the broom doing on the roof?

My guess would be because a broom over a doorway keeps haints away, much like painting a porch ceiling blue (they don't call it "haint blue" for nothing...)

• Like 1

the essential john Denver playing in the background

making myself cry unnecessarily and instant down pour

whats it all about Alfie?

who is they?

they don't call it haint blue for nothing

21 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

the essential john Denver playing in the background

making myself cry unnecessarily and instant down pour

whats it all about Alfie?

who is they?

they don't call it haint blue for nothing

Google "haint blue" -- I don't want to derail CloudHands' thread (any more than I already have...)

EDIT: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/architects-specifiers-designers/inspiration/styles-and-techniques/sw-article-pro-thewhysbehind

And John Denver was born in Roswell, New Mexico. To my knowledge, he never lived in or spent time in the Southern Appalachian Highlands -- he came by bluegrass commercially.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I live in the Southern Appalachian Highlands.  Geographically, it includes Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, a corner of Georgia, and a bit of Kentucky & West Virginia.  The region has a wonderfully diverse biosphere and a distinct culture (although both are being negatively impacted by the "progress of civilization").

A picture or two...

fall7.jpg

farmers_cataloocheeranch1.jpg

zgsogubec61bbqs3d9ky.jpg

Hero.jpg

arrs0003_0054_0002.jpg

4386c18793f9e15989d97f5e5408a637--gatlin

3623057_f260.jpg

91d815f37bd59f62bbf964d20f846adc--americ

That cat sure picked some fine claw-hammer banjo!

tumblr_nr0mr9zlso1uao54ao1_500.jpg

The eighth picture appears to be a still.

4 hours ago, Brian said:

My guess would be because a broom over a doorway keeps haints away, much like painting a porch ceiling blue (they don't call it "haint blue" for nothing...)

I thought you were going to say ;  mother-in -law visiting , thats where she landed . 

• Like 3

Thought about it ("that's where the old witch parked it!") but didn't want to derail CloudHands' thread (any further...)

:)

• Like 2

'My country'  is down in the crack ,  from the air it looks like a moss filled fracture in a dry landscape.   Escarpments tower  to the north and waterfalls plunge over the edge into the rainforest below.

It is haunted by the spirits of the original people , a very old people.... a few are left. I have  sat and talked with them and peered into their eyes ; like dark pools and far away ancient places  that I have never been .  

It is a borderline country , a midway point for many fauna and flora species of north and south variety that meet here .  In some cases, they interbreed, creating unusual types.

It juts out to the east, into the western Pacific, the Great Dividing Range also, here, is at its most easterly extension , and aside from ' Daintree '   'up north'  it is where the range is closest to the coast .    And it  curves around like a big arm, catching the weather as it comes up the east coast from Antarctic regions, and swoops it in and spirals it around.  On a hot day, cool ocean air breezes up the valley.  In winter, at night, it is a 'cold sink' . 

I have pademelons in my garden ... a lot lately  - winter, food is scarce .... they ate some of my food plants ... but thats okay, they gotta eat something this time of year, and I have enough to share . 

Related image

Sometimes , I walk the ancient tracks, along the bottom of the escarpment ,  its like a cathedral in there . The trees tower overhead, and underneath the  ground is covered with ferns and cycads  and other primeval plants ;

Image result for cycads forest 

Related image

and strands of Antarctic Beech , and ripped and torn up rocks from the original formation of the fault line .

and down 'the bottom'     cool rainforest pools 

Image result for Roses  creek Dorrigo NP

....   and of course .....  'the wet season '    ( well... ya wanna live in a rainforest , gotta expect  'a bit ' of water  ! )

Image result for Roses  creek Dorrigo NP

Image result for Dorrigoroad flood

Image result for Dorrigoroad flood

• Like 7

16 hours ago, blue eyed snake said:

Too wet, cold and muddy, too full of people. A lot of those boring.

but feel rooted here. Would not go away to a sunnier place cause it seems that I belong here.

Ireland ? North England ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brian said:

Going to put a brand new tone (accent) on your writings :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CloudHands said:

Oh yes, the flat country, many lovable things there, the weather put aside.

weather can be nice here, sometimes...

but when I wrote that post  it' was raining very hard

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor plensbui

• Like 4

3 hours ago, blue eyed snake said:

weather can be nice here, sometimes...

Which day of the year is that?

Edit to add:

That came from a memory of when I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington.  The saying was that one should not sleep all day during the months of June through August because you could easily miss summer.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

People who have never visited my country sometimes think it's all grey and monotonous. :D Well, it's not! It has many different faces.

Pretty towns...

5977546315000_images(9).jpg.4c4d351d29e0c3c553823635d718397e.jpg

Green mountains and valleys...

5977548bc6985_images(5).jpg.72e90d348003f9c682dba3f6e7b10e79.jpg

BIG flower fields...

597754beaeca4_images(7).jpg.3c39b160ff332de37b127dda91eeddb0.jpg

Picturesque sea sides...

597754d629f2e_images(6).jpg.c0c4b3ac28070c5690cbc00e04983963.jpg

Vast deserts...

597755ee7978b_images(14).jpg.d38960a08a066677ec253be5bafb2b68.jpg

Sometimes, it looks like Holland... :D

russia-landscape.ngsversion.1412613439171.thumb.jpg.eabcba85d7c19222c3f9378ac5bc7c97.jpg

And yes, there is a lot of snow...

5977581287077_images(13).jpg.ea2bd7e6f493ccd01d4ca10f90bd4659.jpg

Sometimes you can watch a big cat running on the snow!

wild-russia-siberia-nature-docum.thumb.jpg.4a3341118e7c5fd27a24f741f2da6044.jpg

But luckily not where I am living...

index.jpg.c3623455afed7c888cf920b24752c587.jpg

You know, my country is really big...

597759d00c589_images(2).jpg.95d2496a98c339e6bb93fc9710648906.jpg

And it kisses the USA! :wub:

59775ab132798_images(4).jpg.60023af3c735c3a7feeea8edd4cb69f5.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Anastasia said:

And it kisses the USA! :wub:

Would that be Hillary and Putin?

(Sorry)  :rolleyes: