thelerner

What are the fruits of your practice?

I asked this rhetorically on another thread, so its only fair I put it up myself.

(Hoping others will reply with they consider the fruits of there practice)

So.. what are the fruits of my practice?

Wim Hof method, cold tolerance, better breathing, better mind over body control.

Vispassana, which for me is the saying I do before I meditate, ie I am not my body, I am that which inhabits it, I am not my thoughts, they are like clouds passing in the sky.. I am not my emotions..past, future, possessions, name.. I am breath and awareness.  The fruit of this one is less fear of death.  Years of 'I am not my body..' helped during a minor heart operation when I heard the surgeon say 'Well this isn't going well'.  I was able to be stay relaxed, see what happens next.  Though maybe the drugs helped too.  And in dreams I've had dying practice, and its a good thing. 

Meditation: I'm a dabbler, which is probably never good.  After exploring several techniques, the last couple of years, I mainly just sit.   My breath cycle is long, I get a sense of peace, maybe some good things (nothing special) are going on in my body.  I'll do some simple gi gung routines, again.. relaxation, extension, benefits of slow gentle movement and relaxed concentration.  

We hold so much tension during the day.  That simple meditation is an antidote to the stress of everyday life.  Who knows how much more screwed I'd be without it? 

In lines, I have my zhan zhuang meditation routines.  In the shower I chant, in bed, particularly in the morning, I get to just the right breathing..nothing on top, just gentle belly slow and steady.

The practice I've gotten into a little more is reverie.  An even lighter state of meditation (if that).  Opened eyed, mind empty, staring at water and the light reflected within.  I like it. 

Fruits, I think my practice does me good.  Mentally resetting my mind, nerves and perspective.  Physically the relaxation eases internal stresses and releases good juices (hormones, enzymes, etc.,)   Nothing special or out of the ordinary, but nice, pleasant.  Its helped me be successful in life, in my own terms.  

At some point I'll move back into the esoteric energy arts, but for now its been a welcome vacation, expecting nothing, getting nothing.   Keeping it simple. 

• Like 7

A little bit more relaxed.

But what I like about it at the moment is how the quality of my practice accurately reflects how I feel my life is going at the time. Last week I felt rubbish and so was my practice. This week I feel great, and so does my practice, so it gives me a little mirror on how I'm feeling.

• Like 5

A few that come to mind :

Resistance to disease and minor ailments.

Flexibility, elasticity and relaxed strength.

A bright outlook on life.

An appreciation of the complexity of nature.

• Like 3

Developed a good understanding that modern humans:

Have become a former shadow of themselves due to (and amongst many other things) ---> lack of movement:

1. Pre-modern human migration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-modern_human_migration)

2. Ancient Genomes Reveal Mass Migrations During the Bronze Age (http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/101-ancient-genomes-reveal-mass-migrations-during-bronze-age/)

3. Genetic studies provide insight into ancient Britain's diversity (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/genetic-analysis-ancient-british-migration)

Driving cars everywhere, sitting in front of a computer the whole day, living in buildings with elevators, etc. is inhuman. :)

Ever wondered why people get so sick today: cancer, heart disease, obesity, depression, anxiety...

2. Looking at children and young adolescents you see what a human is really like before their ruin themselves with society's fully accomplished indoctrination.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/kids1/pool/

"Sex, drugs and rock and roll." Kids don't know any of that!

Also become a better person living according to the natural and universal laws. 

:)

• Like 3

On 27/07/2017 at 0:18 PM, Earl Grey said:

Golden Flower: transcendence of emotional, mental, and physical dimensions

Yi Quan: Grounding and relaxed strength, balance of body, elimination of tension

Taijiquan: flowing defense, energetic harmony, nonviolent martial skill

Xingyi: focused centering and advancing (not just martially)

Liuhebafa: empty state and wu wei-type approach to doing all things in a non-obvious manner

Bagua: moving around different perspectives (not just martially) and finding new openings in the same space: why believe there is only the heads side of a coin when there is the tails side, the actual side, and more all around?

Flying Phoenix: immense healing abilities

Spontaneous Five Animals: connection to primal level and communication with psychic body and physical body

Qi balls: ego level and shaping qi to form will and intent, flowing movement

Octagon seal: moving into transformational and trans-dimensional mind that is unattached to the false realities we create and live in that separate us from the Tao

Golden Armor: emotional, mental, and physical defense

Bedside Brocades: awakening and activating the body's meridians in a non-intrusive way for healing and wellness

Baduanjin: rewiring of nerves and tendons and fascia for Yi Quan

Eight Treasures: martial and esoteric defense, greater understanding of body mechanics

Golden Eye: healing passively and viewing multiple aspects of "self"

You practice all these ?

the fruits of my practice, nice question

much better state of mind, anger and anxiety have lessened enormously. Forgiveness and compassion are opening. Mentally getting into balance. Much better at seeing things in their perspective. I've had some siddhi's. Better body-posture, I've grown about an inch  (that I had lost already due to shrinking). Frozen shoulder is unfrozen, but not yet as flexible as i'd like it to be. Pain in back is more or less gone.

no long list of practice here, just a little meditation and chigung

• Like 4

Patience.

Acceptance.

Allowing myself to diminish.

Being here. Being now.

Doing this. Just this.

Listening.

I used to live in the past, or future. I felt regrets over what was and axiexty over what was not. That's a crappy way to live so I choose a different path. I falter. I pick myself up. I forgive. I meditate in silence. I pray. It is getting better. 

• Like 4

The fruits of my practice?  In Xi Wangmu's garden the peach trees put forth leaves once in a thousand years, and the peaches take another three thousand years to ripen.  Ask me later what they taste like.  :)

• Like 4

On the subtle level:

Lost my desire to punish others or seek revenge for slights.

In hand with this was a steady dissolving of old mental matrixes of resentment.

Lost my ability to maintain inertia in meddling in other's business and changing the world.

Lost my interest in altering other people's minds or their interpretation of reality.

Decreased emotional oscillation.

Contentment as a natural default state.  The default experience of pure, blissful contentment of simply being, just breathing and being where i am.

emptiness, silence and white light experiences.

On the physical level:

Wholeness in my physical form.  My left ankle (and all old nagging, residual, reoccuring injuries) has fully healed, (after 10-12 years of pain, two reconstruction surgeries, and nearly amputating the foot).  Regained the ability to walk without a cane and run without fear, play with my son, swim in the ocean, to move with strength and flexibility without having to compensate for pain and fear... and in the last month have started playing some of my old hard martial forms.

Dropped 25 lbs (and kept it off for six years now), lowered blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol without prescription meds.

• Like 7

Hmmm....too long to list.  First, you are assuming that you need to practice mind cultivation to realize your fruits.  Yes and no.  Let's say...because of my path (not saying if I was already on it or taking up any particular path to begin with), I broke through Form.  Ended suffering (suffering originated from my own entanglement in my previous life--not past life)  and discovered my Dharma Gate. 

I then refine my path or my mind cultivation or the realization of the Dharma in all things---meditation.  I get precognition in the forms of dream visions.  This early morning I have one about my parents.  I have the ability to see through suffering in individuals.  Their own emotional affiliations.  Usually...in the future or some time in their immediate future. 

Experienced a brief moment of dream of clear light..maybe less than 12 times.  Plenty of dream of clarity however.  Don't get nightmares at all.....  :):)  

18 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Death and decay.

Lost opportunities.

But it was fun.

tell me more